All 5 UCONN Starters Invited to the Combine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All 5 UCONN Starters Invited to the Combine

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
As of halftime of Iona, we had lost to mediocre teams in back2back years. We were in danger of losing again because Hurley was being out coached by Pitino. If we had lost to Iona, this entire board would have been calling for Hurley’s head. This is 100 percent factual.

Reaction Score
As of halftime of Iona, we had lost to mediocre teams in back2back years. We were in danger of losing again because Hurley was being out coached by Pitino. If we had lost to Iona, this entire board would have been calling for Hurley’s head. This is 100 percent factual.
It is 100% theoretical.

And if you believe Hurley, at halftime he was confident that we would win the game.

Reaction Score

This is a tough look for you. You’re not going to live it down so just let it go. It was better for you when you were pretending it was mojo.

Reaction Score
Anyone here remember the 2006 NBA Draft? When 5 UConn players were drafted, 4 in the first round and the last at 40 in the second. I don’t think we will have that many in the first but there is a real chance they all go.

I don’t know about other UConn fans but I spent this entire season thinking about the 05-06 UConn team. That year we were stacked and we were dominating. Non conference undefeated, only lost 2 big East regular season games, losing a 3rd in the big east tourney. I was convinced we would win it all. Stopped short by a George Mason team that caught fire. That loss was the worst loss I’ve experienced as a UConn fan. George Mason went on to play their next game in the Final Four, against Florida, and lost. Florida won the tourney and become the first back to back champs since Duke. We should have been there instead. Hurley, this year, more than paid us fans back for that loss.

Can we please stop talking as if George Mason definitively stopped us from winning the national championship in 2006? This is absolutely revisionist history.

Florida was playing flat out better than us throughout the tournament after winning the SEC Tournament. Meanwhile, from Mid-February on we played one A game, the February 26th home game vs. #2 Villanova (we were #4 at the time) that we won by 14. Otherwise, we were not playing well. We lost our first game in the BE Tournament against a decent but definitely worse than us Syracuse team (yes, I realize that is the Gerry McNamara team that went on to win the BE Tournament that year, but we had more talent then them and had beaten them twice during the regular season, including a 23-point butt-kicking in Hartford).

Then, we were trailing #16 seed Albany with 10 minutes to go in the 1st round of the Tournament before rallying to win by 13. We beat a middling #8 seed Kentucky by 4, we got lucky to beat the #5 seed Brandon Roy-led Washington team in OT in the Sweet 16 and then lost in OT to George Mason... who then got their doors blown off by Florida in their very next game in the Final 4.

How that equates to us "almost automatically" winning the Title that year makes zero sense. Sorry, but Florida would have beaten us handily. We were not playing well as a team, and our back court was limited because we did not have a good enough back up for Marcus Williams, despite our very talented and very deep frontcourt. Florida was playing much better as a team. Those are the facts. The facts are in the results of our games over the last couple of weeks of the season, the quarterfinals exit from the BE tournament and our struggle to even win in the first round of the NCAA tournament and every other game that year... all while Florida was dominating, and playing up to their full potential.

Why some people can not see this and be honest that Florida was clearly playing like the better team by the Final 4 I have no idea.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we please stop talking as if George Mason definitively stopped us from winning the national championship in 2006? This is absolutely revisionist history.
That team sucked all year.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
It is 100% theoretical.

And if you believe Hurley, at halftime he was confident that we would win the game.
Yes, I remember the interview as Hurley was walking off the court. He said what Iona was doing wasn’t sustainable and he was correct.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pitino basically conceded the game during his halftime interview. It was the last gasp of the Hurley haters.

Reaction Score
lol I mean, they lost only 4 games all year, let's not go crazy.

Yes, they did not live up to their potential, coasted through a good number of wins that were closer than they should have been, showed very little JC-type toughness, and were indifferent at the time of year when everyone else was getting locked in, but they most definitely did not "suck all year."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love that you are doubling down on this. Particularly after back to back championships.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score

Florida was playing flat out better than us throughout the tournament after winning the SEC Tournament. Meanwhile, from Mid-February on we played one A game, the February 26th home game vs. #2 Villanova (we were #4 at the time) that we won by 14. Otherwise, we were not playing well. We lost our first game in the BE Tournament against a decent but definitely worse than us Syracuse team (yes, I realize that is the Gerry McNamara team that went on to win the BE Tournament that year, but we had more talent then them and had beaten them twice during the regular season, including a 23-point butt-kicking in Hartford).

Then, we were trailing #16 seed Albany with 10 minutes to go in the 1st round of the Tournament before rallying to win by 13. We beat a middling #8 seed Kentucky by 4, we got lucky to beat the #5 seed Brandon Roy-led Washington team in OT in the Sweet 16 and then lost in OT to George Mason... who then got their doors blown off by Florida in their very next game in the Final 4.

How that equates to us "almost automatically" winning the Title that year makes zero sense. Sorry, but Florida would have beaten us handily. We were not playing well as a team, and our back court was limited because we did not have a good enough back up for Marcus Williams, despite our very talented and very deep frontcourt. Florida was playing much better as a team. Those are the facts. The facts are in the results of our games over the last couple of weeks of the season, the quarterfinals exit from the BE tournament and our struggle to even win in the first round of the NCAA tournament and every other game that year... all while Florida was dominating, and playing up to their full potential.

Why some people can not see this and be honest that Florida was clearly playing like the better team by the Final 4 I have no idea.
I hear you but you lost me at the “ Florida would have beaten us handily “ part. I just can’t do that part. We were done in by unlawful Pentium Processors that year and that’s it.

Reaction Score

We were going to win it all that year and the team was going to the tournament in Vital's last season before the season was stopped. Only in Boneyard land.

Reaction Score
I hear you but you lost me at the “ Florida would have beaten us handily “ part. I just can’t do that part. We were done in by unlawful Pentium Processors that year and that’s it.

Except that AJ Price was suspended because of that. It was what it was. You can not just magically add him to the team or that season as it actually played out. Yes, I agree that if AJ Price had been playing we probably would have won because the lack of back up talent at that position was the missing ingredient. But that is not the reality of how everything happened.

Florida also won the title game by 16 over UCLA. They were playing a lot better as a team than we were. I still do not understand why this is so hard for people to understand and admit. And in the long run, I do not care if they would have beaten us by a few, or by more than a few. They were better than us. It was obvious if you watched their games versus ours. They went on a dominant run, just as we have the last two years. Their back court would have out played ours and that would have been the difference.

If we had AJ Price in the backcourt along with Williams, then heck ya I agree with you that we would have beaten them, and everyone else for the title that year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m trying to remember, did Newton get an invite last year?

Reaction Score
Except that AJ Price was suspended because of that. It was what it was. You can not just magically add him to the team or that season as it actually played out. Yes, I agree that if AJ Price had been playing we probably would have won because the lack of back up talent at that position was the missing ingredient. But that is not the reality of how everything happened.

Florida also won the title game by 16 over UCLA. They were playing a lot better as a team than we were. I still do not understand why this is so hard for people to understand and admit. And in the long run, I do not care if they would have beaten us by a few, or by more than a few. They were better than us. It was obvious if you watched their games versus ours. They went on a dominant run, just as we have the last two years. Their back court would have out played ours and that would have been the difference.

If we had AJ Price in the backcourt along with Williams, then heck ya I agree with you that we would have beaten them, and everyone else for the title that year.
Florida was similar to us, two frontcourt dominant teams but Florida's frontcourt was even better than ours and they played like a team, UConn wasn't playing like a team at that point in the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ok... And I have never come close to saying that. They didn't suck. In fact, it is one of the two best front courts, top to bottom, we have ever had. But we would not have won the title. That is all I am saying. And all I have ever said on this topic. The 2006 team, sans AJ Price, was not our best team not to win a National Title. Sorry, no.

The 2009 team, for example, was a better all around team. And if not for Dyson's injury and having to play Michigan St. in Detroit in the semifinal game we would have played UNC for that year's title.

Reaction Score
Almost as crazy as Isaiah Abraham reminds the other poster of Melo.

I think there's a place for Cam and Tristen in the league though.
Cool story bro, come talk to me in a couple years to see how your opinion holds up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom