Aliyah Boston Talks Carla Berube | The Boneyard

Aliyah Boston Talks Carla Berube

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After Adamec talks Phee and Lou and USA Team Pool. UConn's Collier, Samuelson part of USA pool

Carla won a coaching award from Team USA.

"Former UConn standout Carla Berube -- now the coach at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts -- has been named a co-recipient of the 2017 USA Basketball Developmental Coach of the Year Award.

In her first USA Basketball coaching assignment, Berube led the United States U-16 national team to a 5-0 record and the gold medal at the 2017 FIBA Americas U-16 Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The result also qualified Team USA for the 2018 FIBA U-17 World Cup."

Aliyah, the MVP of that event on Coach Berube:

"What made Coach Berube a great coach in my opinion was her love for the game," Boston said. "When she coached us, it was clear she really knew what she was saying, and she just wanted us to get better. In the end for her, it was not just about us winning gold as a team but that each of us individually became stronger and better players. She was very approachable and easy to learn from."

Hire that kid! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After Adamec talks Phee and Lou and USA Team Pool. UConn's Collier, Samuelson part of USA pool

Carla won a coaching award from Team USA.

"Former UConn standout Carla Berube -- now the coach at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts -- has been named a co-recipient of the 2017 USA Basketball Developmental Coach of the Year Award.

In her first USA Basketball coaching assignment, Berube led the United States U-16 national team to a 5-0 record and the gold medal at the 2017 FIBA Americas U-16 Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The result also qualified Team USA for the 2018 FIBA U-17 World Cup."

Aliyah, the MVP of that event on Coach Berube:

"What made Coach Berube a great coach in my opinion was her love for the game," Boston said. "When she coached us, it was clear she really knew what she was saying, and she just wanted us to get better. In the end for her, it was not just about us winning gold as a team but that each of us individually became stronger and better players. She was very approachable and easy to learn from."

Hire that kid! ;)

Sounds like Geno to me---and this young women Berube isn't qualified to step into Uconn??--
Boston sounds like New York to me. Get her, hold her, keep her!!
Ever notice Uconn kids who now coach--bring out the best in game, talent, personality from those willing to be coached??
I don't know, nor do most who have commented on Ms Berube, whether she is qualified to Coach Uconn, should the need arise, or not! But this singular comment has a strong Geno ring to it. If not Shea, or Sue, or Morgan--or along with any of them Carla seems a good fit. Apparently, I'm whistling to a deaf ear, cuz from whats I hear--Ms Berube ain't a movin from them thra fur hills of Massy choose it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno to me---and this young women Berube isn't qualified to step into Uconn??--....
Ever notice Uconn kids who now coach--bring out the best in game, talent, personality from those willing to be coached?? .... If not Shea, or Sue, or Morgan--or along with any of them Carla seems a good fit.....
I parsed your few points for my perspective-Yes, she is qualified as she has demonstrated her winning coaching numerous times, however, other than her, no other coaches have demonstrated the ability to win regularly and at a high level. If it were me, I would give her a very long look and who knows how she would react! I would never give the keys to the Aston Martin Valkyrie (Rolls Royce for the older metophoric crowd) to a new driver but one that has experience in driving. So, sorry Sue, DT, Morgan or any other legends that haven’t actually coached a team, I can’t have you take it for a spin just because you have a license...Very few superstars in any sport make a great coach. Virtually no Hall of Fame player was ever a Hall a Fame coach or even a very good coach. IMHO...:oops:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
From that headline I thought Wow I didn't know Carla was even Jewish!
"Aliyah is the immigration of Jews from the diaspora to the Land of Israel"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From that headline I thought Wow I didn't know Carla was even Jewish!
"Aliyah is the immigration of Jews from the diaspora to the Land of Israel"

Fascinating. Also: Muslim: Exalted Hebrew "to ascend".

"This is a name with quite a few variants. Some other common variations are Aliya, without the H on the end, Aleah, and the Hawaiian Alia, who apparently was a princess, and which means “great joy.”

In Arabic, the same name is pronounced with an emphasis on the guttural “ayin” sound at the beginning (hence the double-A in the singer’s name), and means “exalted,” or “high place.”

Why “Aliyah” is one of the hottest baby names in America ✡ Adventures in AliyahLand

Come on over to Storrs Ailyah, the most exalted site in WCBB.

Reaction Score
I parsed your few points for my perspective-Yes, she is qualified as she has demonstrated her winning coaching numerous times, however, other than her, no other coaches have demonstrated the ability to win regularly and at a high level. If it were me, I would give her a very long look and who knows how she would react! I would never give the keys to the Aston Martin Valkyrie (Rolls Royce for the older metophoric crowd) to a new driver but one that has experience in driving. So, sorry Sue, DT, Morgan or any other legends that haven’t actually coached a team, I can’t have you take it for a spin just because you have a license...Very few superstars in any sport make a great coach. Virtually no Hall of Fame player was ever a Hall a Fame coach or even a very good coach. IMHO...:oops:
Carla would handle “high level” Storrs with ease. And please...I’m from the “older metaphoric crowd” and know nothing, really, about Aston Martins or Rolls Royces. Boomers enjoyed Detroit V8 years and for many of us on to the beloved Beetle...and for decades a succession of predictably boring cars. But I’ll be getting a new car next year and I’ll take a Golf stick shift for a test...it’ll be a metaphor for all those years in Vermont snapping away in good GTIs. BTW: who had any idea what Geno, CD, and friends could accomplish way back in 1985 ? And fortunately, Geno will remain sheriff for several more years. The Boomers won’t be going quietly.

Reaction Score
No Morgan hasn't been a head coach but she's been coaching for what 10 or more years?? Opinions are opinions, neither of us are on the selection committee.

Reaction Score
Not to worry---Geno will be Geno until Geno decides not to be Geno. Thread or no thread.

Reaction Score

No Morgan hasn't been a head coach but she's been coaching for what 10 or more years??
What does this above have to do with a vacancy---??

Reaction Score

When Geno was spinning Uconn his prior experience was minimal only as an assistant at UVA. Coaches all start somewhere. As a HC Berube has many years on the starting Geno---that isn't a driver without experience--drive one car, you can drive the next--
Mute argument---Carla Berube has stated she isn't going anywhere (but we've heard that often just before they move)--if you take her at her word.
Original discussion stated ---neither you nor I are or shall be on the selection committee--Opinions.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When Geno was spinning Uconn his prior experience was minimal only as an assistant at UVA. Coaches all start somewhere. As a HC Berube has many years on the starting Geno---that isn't a driver without experience--drive one car, you can drive the next--
You lost me a bit here-what is it you are saying? When Geno came to UConn they were abysmal so the AD had nothing to lose, the "car" was a beat up Chevy that Geno has now parlayed into the best car on the market. You don't hand that car off to someone who has never driven-ie someone without a great track record if you really want to maintain the program at an elite level. We want to avoid what happened to UCLA, Lady Vols, Indiana etc. All the former elite programs struggled finding the next generation of coaches. Again, this is an academic excercise but when someone floats illogical names, I offer my perspective, just as you are offering yours, though I didn't really understand your point above-I am not being snarky here, as I am almost always on board with your insight and perspective. So are you saying it's ok to have any coach interview for this role (when the time comes) regardless of their experience "because they all have to start somewhere?" as that isn't logical to me given what the program is now. That's all I am trying to understand. Thanks, your humble colleague...:oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom