Alexa Phillipou Isn't a Doctor But She Interviewed Two In The Courant | The Boneyard

Alexa Phillipou Isn't a Doctor But She Interviewed Two In The Courant

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This article was just published by the Courant:

Paige Bueckers’ injury

Actually, she spoke to the Chief of Orthopedic Trauma at Hartford Hospital and to a certified athletic trainer.

It says that the 6-8 week timeframe makes sense if there is no ligament damage and a non-displaced bone bruise/fracture. It also says that there is a "small but not zero" chance of arthritis in the future if she plays on this.

The main takeaway is that bones are different than ligaments, and can regain their full or even greater strength after a fracture.

Article is very much worth reading.

Reaction Score
this is true. Bone heals differently than soft tissue, there is nothing like “scar tissue” and once it has adequate time to re-fuse it is like new

Reaction Score
My current girlfriend just had the same injury about 3 months ago getting hit by a wave at the beach in New Jersey. She has had a tough time as it has healed slowly, required a brace and a wheel chair and now she has several months of rehab. She apparently had more serious damage and is about 50 years older! The biggest concern her doctor had was to keep no weight on the knee as it could cause far more serious issues. On a plus side there is no pain unless she tries to put weight on it. Certainly better than an ACL tear with much faster recovery. I would expect a full recovery as long as Paige isn't Paige and tries to do too much too soon which we have seen her try to do with other injuries.

Reaction Score
I hope that one “long-term implication” is that Geno plays his bench more, and cares less that players “don’t like to come out.”

Sure, I get that it was a freak injury, and could’ve happened anytime, but surely there must be some sort of cumulative effect.

Reaction Score
Most important statement in Courant story is by Jeff Stotts, an injury analyst and certified athletic trainer who has an extensive background covering sports injuries and has his own NBA injury database. He stated that for NBA players the recovery time for that kind of injury is closer to 10 weeks. But Bueckers physical size is smaller so that's hopefully a good factor.

Reaction Score
There's an extremely small, exclusive number of people who have examined Paige and seen the MRI. I'll go with their opinion long before even the certified experts who are uninvolved. I am mystified why so many posters are relying on google, people who have never seen the MRI, or who are pretending to be experts to say 4 months or to keep Paige out for the year. "I talked to a friend who is a doctor in NYC..." Really?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers’ injury

Actually, she spoke to the Chief of Orthopedic Trauma at Hartford Hospital and to a certified athletic trainer.

It says that the 6-8 week timeframe makes sense if there is no ligament damage and a non-displaced bone bruise/fracture. It also says that there is a "small but not zero" chance of arthritis in the future if she plays on this.

The main takeaway is that bones are different than ligaments, and can regain their full or even greater strength after a fracture.

Thanks but I would much rather read the posts here on the BY from our own "orthopedic experts" and frequent guests of any Holiday Inn Express.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this thread.

Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers’ injury

Nice to see a reporter doing the homework that provides good information. Good girl.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There's an extremely small, exclusive number of people who have examined Paige and seen the MRI. I'll go with their opinion long before even the certified experts who are uninvolved. I am mystified why so many posters are relying on google, people who have never seen the MRI, or who are pretending to be experts to say 4 months or to keep Paige out for the year. "I talked to a friend who is a doctor in NYC..." Really?
They and I are not “relying” and certainly not making medical conclusions. Seeking information just to get a vague idea doesn’t require being mystified. Amazing what some people read into posts. .

Reaction Score
If only granny from the beverly hillbillies wasn't still around. Louisville game minimum.:):)

Reaction Score
They and I are not “relying” and certainly not making medical conclusions. Seeking information just to get a vague idea doesn’t require being mystified. Amazing what some people read into posts. .
Seeking information is fine. I didn't know a lot of this type of injury before now. But there have been posts with "google" type information stating that Paige should be kept out for the rest of the year. I'm at a loss of words to describe that, maybe irresponsible, but that's not quite right. There have been numerous posts with medical conclusions. You can find them, shouldn't be hard.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thanks but I would much rather read the posts here on the BY from our own "orthopedic experts" and frequent guests of any Holiday Inn Express.

HIE_expertise.jpg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seeking information is fine. I didn't know a lot of this type of injury before now. But there have been posts with "google" type information stating that Paige should be kept out for the rest of the year. I'm at a loss of words to describe that, maybe irresponsible, but that's not quite right. There have been numerous posts with medical conclusions. You can find them, shouldn't be hard.
So what? You think Paige is going to disregard her docs? The past few days the issue some have picked with some of the pretty innocuous stuff on a sports board is fascinating.

Reaction Score
So what? You think Paige is going to disregard her docs? The past few days the issue some have picked with some of the pretty innocuous stuff on a sports board is fascinating.
What are you talking about? Did I say or imply Paige is going to disregard her doctors? Sports board? I haven't been anywhere but the BY for at least 4 or 5 weeks. Look, I'm not trying to be nasty, but if I said something that you disagree with, please enlighten me because I have no clue what you are talking about.

If anything, my posts have been to rely only on Paige's doctors.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Did I say or imply Paige is going to disregard her doctors? Sports board? I haven't been anywhere but the BY for at least 4 or 5 weeks. Look, I'm not trying to be nasty, but if I said something that you disagree with, please enlighten me because I have no clue what you are talking about.

If anything, my posts have been to rely only on Paige's doctors.
You are bitching about people venturing medical opinions as if it matters. It doesn’t. Why that bothers you is pretty mystifying.

Reaction Score
Most important statement in Courant story is by Jeff Stotts, an injury analyst and certified athletic trainer who has an extensive background covering sports injuries and has his own NBA injury database. He stated that for NBA players the recovery time for that kind of injury is closer to 10 weeks. But Bueckers physical size is smaller so that's hopefully a good factor.
Well, for you it's the most important statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom