Alex | The Boneyard

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Thoughts about the Alex:
Calhoun was right in his post game comments that Bazz despite thus far having a decent number of assists hasn't done a good job getting the ball inside. That needs to change real fast. He needs to get the big men more involved. In the screen and roll the Bigs were consistently open and seldom got the ball. Granted Bazz hit some real tough outside shots but that is not by itself a formula for success. Alex is clearly frustrated and they are under-utilizing AD. Anyone who doesn't think they need these two is mistaken.
Last year Calhoun really did not have a bench option to Alex, since Chuck often started with him. This year the leash is much shorter and Alex is having trouble with the adjustment. Last year Calhoun actually, out of necessity let him play through mistakes.
As for the old people hung up on 20 year old Tweeter comments. That's the World of the future like it or not - so get use to it. It is the way this generation talks. As our generation ages and eventually dies off - it will be the standard not the odd behavior.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They definitely need to utilize them more ... but teams, so far, having been intentionally taking away the inside game. They're either getting doubled immediately after getting the ball or doubled before even getting it. Teams are forcing UConn to shoot from the outside knowing that they're outmatched.

I really think the schedule thus far has been poor in terms of developing the inside game, both on offense and defense. The teams have mostly been undersized and are trying to force the outside shot ... not only that, but these teams are also jacking up the long ball.

So not only are teams actively trying to prevent any offense from the bigs, but all these outside shots are hurting the rebounding. This, imo, is preventing the bigs from getting into a rhythm.

I think a lot of this changes as we enter conference play.

C

Chief00

They definitely need to utilize them more ... but teams, so far, having been intentionally taking away the inside game. They're either getting doubled immediately after getting the ball or doubled before even getting it. Teams are forcing UConn to shoot from the outside knowing that they're outmatched.

I really think the schedule thus far has been poor in terms of developing the inside game, both on offense and defense. The teams have mostly been undersized and are trying to force the outside shot ... not only that, but these teams are also jacking up the long ball.

So not only are teams actively trying to prevent any offense from the bigs, but all these outside shots are hurting the rebounding. This, imo, is preventing the bigs from getting into a rhythm.

I think a lot of this changes as we enter conference play.
I agree.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As for the old people hung up on 20 year old Tweeter comments. That's the World of the future like it or not - so get use to it. It is the way this generation talks. As our generation ages and eventually dies off - it will be the standard not the odd behavior.

May it have as long a life as pagers, text mail, My Space, "You've Got Mail", dial up modems, instant messaging, 10 lb laptops, and ......

Reaction Score
I agree with the first poster. Bazz misses the guys in to post sometimes when theyre open. We set so many picks with AO and AD, we should be able to hit them as they are cutting but bazz seems to be late on the pass and wait till it no longer open or just passes to someone else. Thought we were gonna see AO&D together alot, so far it seems when one comes in the other goes out. I'm not too concerned yet but it could become an issue. As for the early schedule not being good to develop players I disagree so very much. Our first games of the season were perfect and the best opportunities for them to work on AD&O. We were not facing any big post players and playing sub par teams. To me that seems like the perfect time. To break them in together more at big east play where they play real talent, isnt gonna be easier. Double teamed or not, against Maine or CW Post, AO&D need to be utilized more, and need to be smarted when they get the ball. I'm just glad we have real basketball to talk about now.

Reaction Score
Yea I agree with everyone else. I would be really pissed if I were AO but he still needs to be much smarter and not vent on twitter. He's not great inside, but still makes more shots than he misses and needs to get the ball when he is posting hard. If the ball goes in and he gets doubled as has happened a bit, even better because one of the guards will have an open 3, instead of being forced to shoot and hit a contested 3.

I don't really love how Calhoun has handled this team so far but I am sure I will be proven an idiot shortly. I don't get how Alex has the shortest leash out of any big on the team (Roscoe probably has the second shortest leash). His hands were horrible yesterday and he had only 2 rebounds, but he still managed to pull down 7 rebounds per game in probably 20 min.

Reaction Score
It is the way this generation talks. As our generation ages and eventually dies off - it will be the standard not the odd behavior.
It's got nothing to do with generations, but merely the means of communicating. All generations are equally capable of saying stupid things - young people have just adopted a means that is much more immediate.

The behavior hasn't changed - just the way in which the behavior is made available for all to see.

Reaction Score
I don't really love how Calhoun has handled this team so far but I am sure I will be proven an idiot shortly.
LOL - I agree in terms of applying that to myself. I thought I was onto something during the Stan/Jerome debacle, but after last year I realized two things:

1. Stan/Jerome was an aberration.
2. I will never question JC again.

Reaction Score
One of the issues too is on the pick and rolls neither of the big guys are turning around to look for the ball. AO and AD would set the pick then just turn and run straight to the basket to post up without looking back for the pass.

As bad as the announcers were last night they did make a good point that one of the things UNC-A was working hard to do was front our big men and deny entry into the post. As OP mentioned above, this seems to be a strategy for a lot of the smaller teams we have been playing.

I'm really hoping we get a chance to play FSU in the championship because I think that will be a true test of how AO and AD are really playing this year. FSU has a similar style team in terms of smothering defense with a lot of length at every position. With them not jacking up 3's all game, and actually having the size/length to D up on our bigs I think we will see a much more UCONN style game, and be a lot happier about where AO and AD are at

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One of the issues too is on the pick and rolls neither of the big guys are turning around to look for the ball. AO and AD would set the pick then just turn and run straight to the basket to post up without looking back for the pass.

As bad as the announcers were last night they did make a good point that one of the things UNC-A was working hard to do was front our big men and deny entry into the post. As OP mentioned above, this seems to be a strategy for a lot of the smaller teams we have been playing.

I'm really hoping we get a chance to play FSU in the championship because I think that will be a true test of how AO and AD are really playing this year. FSU has a similar style team in terms of smothering defense with a lot of length at every position. With them not jacking up 3's all game, and actually having the size/length to D up on our bigs I think we will see a much more UCONN style game, and be a lot happier about where AO and AD are at
Best analysis of the situation imo. AD and AO are not executing well enough to get the ball in most cases. SN has shown himself to be a skilled passer when the opportunity presents itself.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have to wait for FSU, I've never seen them play but from Kevin Duffy's report on UCF they apparently play a traditional lineup and trot out alot of bigs. Hopefully this can be the type of game where we can lean on our bigs and not have Bazz & Lamb carry everything offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom