Alex Karaban Recruitment | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban Recruitment

Reaction Score
I was intrigued by the comment on College Gameday that Alex Karaban’s mom didn’t want him to come to UConn at first because of the education. I looked back at AK’s recruitment and noticed that he received offers from some very good educational institutions.

Harvard, Penn and Stanford were the most noteworthy with Northwestern and Notre Dame at the next level. Ivy League basketball is good, but nowhere near UConn-level. Nobody would have seen his games if he went to the West Coast to play at Stanford. The basketball programs at Northwestern and Notre Dame aren’t even close to the standard set at UConn.

He’s currently getting a great education, competing for National Championships and being showcased as a potential NBA player. I think it’s safe to say he made the right decision.

Reaction Score
Here's the story about it. I ran into someone in town yesterday whose son is good friends with Karaban. He said Alex told him that ultimately he picked UConn because he loved Hurley. Said he is, "Nuts, but in a good way." Lol

But the AK that would eventually help UConn to a national championship needed an OK from OK — his mother, Olga Karaban — before making a commitment to coach Dan Hurley and the Huskies in the summer of 2021. Alex loved his visit to the Storrs campus and was sold, almost immediately. Olga Karaban was skeptical, though, having learned all about basketball from the Huskies’ staff but next to nothing about the education her son might receive.

“We saw all the facilities, talked to coaches, went to eat, came home,” Olga said in August, sitting on a couch in the family’s living room next to Alexei. “Alex was like, ‘Oh, my gosh, I feel like this is what I want. It felt right when I stepped on the court.’ I'm sitting there, just quiet. He was like, ‘This is great!’ And I'm not saying anything. He said, ‘What do you think?' I said, ‘Everything is great but I'm not impressed with academics because I didn't hear anything about it.’”

Karaban called Hurley and said, “My mom’s not happy.”

What followed was a furious final recruiting phase for which Hurley brought an entire team together. It wasn’t a basketball team. Hurley asked athletic director David Benedict for help coordinating, and UConn sent a car service back to Northborough to pick up the Karabans for a return visit a week later.

Radenka Maric — today UConn president and then the university’s vice president for research, innovation, and entrepreneurship — was among the lead presenters. Engineering professors were gathered. Curriculums and potential career paths were discussed. UConn flexed every fiber of every academic muscle that the university’s rising national reputation is built on.

“It was the worst for Alex because we had to go through all the academic buildings,” Olga said. “We went to the engineering center, and they were showing crazy stuff. It was actually interesting, at least for me. For you, too, right?”

Alternate access:

How UConn became home for men's basketball's budding star Alex Karaban: 'He's very happy'

Reaction Score
I do wonder, given he’s been on campus a semester longer than a usual sophomore, and that he probably came into college with a bunch of credits from AP courses or other locations, how close he is to graduating, and if that will have any impact on an NBA decision.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The school is always ranked in the top tier, usually 60ish

But I understand a parent preferring an Ivy League education. The people you meet are world leaders, invaluable connections

Alex is going to make 7 figures playing basketball and receive a great education. He made a great decision

Reaction Score
I do wonder, given he’s been on campus a semester longer than a usual sophomore, and that he probably came into college with a bunch of credits from AP courses or other locations, how close he is to graduating, and if that will have any impact on an NBA decision.
I was wondering the same. I forgot to ask the guy I ran into yesterday. I'll ask when I see him next time. There must be a reason Karaban is taking 6 courses this semester.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
AK is making more in NIL playing for UConn than he would have at Stanford or Notre Dame and it is a moot point for any of the Ivy League schools. If Alex stays another year he will have made enough money to buy a very nice house wherever he wants and regardless of what happens after his college career is over he will have already made more money than the average Ivy league grad makes in their first four or five years after graduating. Let alone getting the chance to experience a national championship and the media exposure that has enhanced his basketball opportunities. Good decision.

Reaction Score
AK isn't ready to leave yet as a basketball player.

Reaction Score
I was intrigued by the comment on College Gameday that Alex Karaban’s mom didn’t want him to come to UConn at first because of the education. I looked back at AK’s recruitment and noticed that he received offers from some very good educational institutions.

Harvard, Penn and Stanford were the most noteworthy with Northwestern and Notre Dame at the next level. Ivy League basketball is good, but nowhere near UConn-level. Nobody would have seen his games if he went to the West Coast to play at Stanford. The basketball programs at Northwestern and Notre Dame aren’t even close to the standard set at UConn.

He’s currently getting a great education, competing for National Championships and being showcased as a potential NBA player. I think it’s safe to say he made the right decision.
At first only @Ricker really wanted Alex to come to UConn:)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Very interesting on the quality of academic institutions who gave AK offers. Also a real heads up to the recruiting end of the program and AD. AK brings so much to this team and program that doesn't always show up in the box score. If you saw the postgame interview with Shaka Smart the other night he smiled, lauded him and was kind of speechless at what he brings to this team. You could tell he was very impressed with him as a player and a person. I think he was referring to his basketball IQ as well as his character in addition to his basketball skills. He certainly has a bright future and both the University and Alex made great decisions in his accepting their offer and coming here.

Reaction Score
Here's the story about it. I ran into someone in town yesterday whose son is good friends with Karaban. He said Alex told him that ultimately he picked UConn because he loved Hurley. Said he is, "Nuts, but in a good way." Lol

But the AK that would eventually help UConn to a national championship needed an OK from OK — his mother, Olga Karaban — before making a commitment to coach Dan Hurley and the Huskies in the summer of 2021. Alex loved his visit to the Storrs campus and was sold, almost immediately. Olga Karaban was skeptical, though, having learned all about basketball from the Huskies’ staff but next to nothing about the education her son might receive.

“We saw all the facilities, talked to coaches, went to eat, came home,” Olga said in August, sitting on a couch in the family’s living room next to Alexei. “Alex was like, ‘Oh, my gosh, I feel like this is what I want. It felt right when I stepped on the court.’ I'm sitting there, just quiet. He was like, ‘This is great!’ And I'm not saying anything. He said, ‘What do you think?' I said, ‘Everything is great but I'm not impressed with academics because I didn't hear anything about it.’”

What followed was a furious final recruiting phase for which Hurley brought an entire team together. It wasn’t a basketball team. Hurley asked athletic director David Benedict for help coordinating, and UConn sent a car service back to Northborough to pick up the Karabans for a return visit a week later.

Radenka Maric — today UConn president and then the university’s vice president for research, innovation, and entrepreneurship — was among the lead presenters. Engineering professors were gathered. Curriculums and potential career paths were discussed. UConn flexed every fiber of every academic muscle that the university’s rising national reputation is built on.

“It was the worst for Alex because we had to go through all the academic buildings,” Olga said. “We went to the engineering center, and they were showing crazy stuff. It was actually interesting, at least for me. For you, too, right?”

Alternate access:

How UConn became home for men's basketball's budding star Alex Karaban: 'He's very happy'

After reading this, I have a question. If Alex’s mother puts getting an education as a top priority, would she wish her son leave school without his degree?

Reaction Score
So, how pissed will Olga be if Alex leaves with no degree?
This may actually be a contributing factor to him staying another year, after which he can graduate after 3.5 years.

Reaction Score
I thought it was known he’d be graduating after his redshirt junior year which is next season

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Alternate access:

Thanks for this posting. Great story and says a lot about his motivation and character. Family, hard work and priorities. And the joy of playing basketball as a youngster. Very inspirational.

Reaction Score
If Alex stays another year, it ain't to finish a college degree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom