Alex Karaban: No freshman jitters for him | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban: No freshman jitters for him

Reaction Score
Even when his offensive game is off, he is still someone that the opponents respect and don’t sag off of. He does most things well consistently in terms of keeping the ball moving and staying within the context of the offense. He even makes game-winning type plays from time to time. He’s a freshman and it shows against bigger, older all-conference level players. Should be expected. To me, he’s been the most consistent starter since he became a starter.

Reaction Score
Dude is a flat out baller. Looks like he has been playing for multiple years. Old school player on both ends of the floor. Would have fit in nicely in the old Big East days. Reminds me of an old Syracuse guy who was a nemesis to us - Leo Rautins. Or a Hall guy Arturus Karnisovas.

Reaction Score
Karaban has toughness and grit, had some nice rebounds and put backs. I know he got burned the last few games but he's not afraid to take a big shot and hustle. Kid has heart

Reaction Score
People are over reactive. They saw him get beat a few times on D and lose it. They didn’t consider that he’s had the most difficult assignments, and other teams are sending their best at him. As a freshman. Considering that, he’s done quite well in my opinion.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Karaban is one you can see growing from his mistakes/weaknesses. He had a few tough matchups and just keeps with it. They went at him early and often and he held his own. He is staying more vertical and now he just needs to get better at beating his assignment to the spot.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I noticed he did a lot better last night with position and keeping his arms up straight - none of the freshman fouls he'd be committing the last few games. He's going to be amazing next year if this is how he is playing Freshman year.

I think it was kinda funny to see people complaining about him the week he got his third BE Freshman of the Week awarded.

Reaction Score
Next year he's going to be a terrific player, but he's already quite good. Reminds me of a (and I hate to say it) Laettner type player, but in a good way.

Reaction Score
He’s made a few plays the last couple games that show a warrior spirit. Grabbing rebounds and going up strong. I’m really impressed with him. He’ll be a huge piece on our next FF team.

Reaction Score
he just needs to add another 10 lbs or so and he wont get bullied down low. looking forward to him and clingan anchoring our frontcourt next year, and hopefully longer for AK.
I don’t think I’ve seen him outright “bullied” at all. He’s had some big, skilled guys to defend. He’s a freshman. He isn’t going to stop everyone.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve seen him outright “bullied” at all. He’s had some big, skilled guys to defend. He’s a freshman. He isn’t going to stop everyone.
hopkins and kaluma combined for 41 pts and 21 rebs, call it what you want. i dont expect AK to be able to "stop" either of them next year but another 10 lbs of muscle would help slow them down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hopkins and kaluma combined for 41 pts and 21 rebs, call it what you want. i dont expect AK to be able to "stop" either of them next year but another 10 lbs of muscle would help slow them down.
He was the only one defending them?

Reaction Score
It’s not a rag on Karaban to say he’s gotten pushed around on defense. He’s a 210lb freshman who’s guarding guys that just outmatch him athletically. He gives 100% in those matchups, with a couple years of strength and conditioning and experience he will do well on those defensive assignments.

Great game from him last night. We haven’t seen too much of him catching the ball in the mid/high post and creating a shot, but it’s what he’s best at alongside shooting. Hope to see more games like this from him

Reaction Score
He was the only one defending them?
no but he was the primary defender... and why you are fixating on my first sentence when i followed it up with:
looking forward to him [AK] and clingan anchoring our frontcourt next year, and hopefully longer for AK.
overall a pretty reasoned take... whereas you seem to be arguing that his D against bigger/stronger players wouldnt benefit by bulking up?? odd position to be defending so vigorously.

Reaction Score
no but he was the primary defender... and why you are fixating on my first sentence

The reason to focus on that first sentence is because it doesn’t fit what actually happened.

First, the Providence game was played at such a pace that the action wasn’t taking place in half court sets with a lot of one-on-one matchups. So, to say that Karaban was the primary defender when baskets were being scored in transition is misleading. In addition, Hopkins scored 13 of his points on 15 FTs. Only 3 of those FT points came off fouls committed by Karaban, so the other 10 points from the line were on other UConn players.

Second, Kaluma shot only 5-16 and 0-3 on 3’s against us. That suggests that whoever was guarding him did a pretty good job defending him. I was at that game and thought that Karaban defended well that afternoon.

Attributing rebound responsibility to a single individual is even more of a stretch. Besides, Hopkins and Karaban were even in rebounds in the PC game. So, the worst you can say about Karaban in those 2 games is that Kaluma oytrebounded him while he was shutting down Kaluma’s shooting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next year he's going to be a terrific player, but he's already quite good. Reminds me of a (and I hate to say it) Laettner type player, but in a good way.
Oh no I was just forgetting about that Dukie..

Reaction Score
He started to play aggressive for the first time all year and showed that he has some skill going up strong. Hopefully this game flipped the switch for him.

Reaction Score
no but he was the primary defender... and why you are fixating on my first sentence when i followed it up with:
overall a pretty reasoned take...
Hey nobody made you say “bullied”, that’s really all I was challenging. Thought that was clear.
whereas you seem to be arguing that his D against bigger/stronger players wouldnt benefit by bulking up??
This extrapolation is just silliness.
odd position to be defending so vigorously.
This is confusing. I’m not defending anything; and certainly not vigorously.

Reaction Score
AK needs to buy Newton dinner and explain, “Pass me the ball when I’m open”, and more dinners may come.

Again I counted at least twice where AK was all alone in his sweet three spot and Newton proceeds to do something stupid. This wasn’t the first game where this has happened.

Upon review Coach Hurley should wake up and address this. It’s all over the tape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom