Alabama Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Alabama Post Game Thread

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
After all the angst UConn went 10-25 for 40% from three. If they do that for 1 more game I like their chances on Monday.
Agreed, but the only reason anyone will remember our 3 point shooting percentages is because everyone keeps talking about it.

We've won 5 games by +125 points, I think that's the story of these amazing Huskies!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You’re still ignoring the rest of the comment. Our returning guys aren’t on the level of kemba/lamb/smith/oriakhi or bazz/boat/giffey/daniels. for Samson to be a starter he needs to be surrounded by 4 stars and we have one currently in Karaban.
We get it. You don't like Samson. Give it a rest.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Am I missing something. If we lose starting 6 :) w Diarra, aren’t we essentially starting over. I was thinking we‘d be a couple of year aways from making a serious run in the tourney.
We will make the tournament next year even with the loss of Newton, Spencer, Clingan and Castle, and once in we can always do damage. I expect Karaban to stay, and I think Diarra. Stewart can play at this level but has work to do over the summer to improve his handle and be more reliable shooting the ball from 3. Johnson is what he is which is an extremely springy 5 with great hands and timing. There aren't that many bulky yet talented centers to push him around. Ball will make the sophomore step up - I expect him to start. He was actually quite impressive when Castle was out early. Just needs to stay with the program physically and mentally, get his head straight. That's a pretty darn good core 5. You've got a very athletic center who's been on (hopefully) 2 NC teams, shooters in Karaban, Ball and Stewart, a point guard with experience in Diarra, all of whom know the system and what it takes to win.

Nowell and Abraham are players - Abraham looked great in yesterday's game vs. Monteverde. Ross and Roumoglou will have a chance to earn PT if they can buy into the defense - Ross for athleticism and Roumoglou is a remarkable shooter at 6'8". Would love for Ross to turn himself into a defensive stopper like Castle this year. Singare is a project, but is athletic so there's something there to work with. And transfers will only improve that base. I'd like to see deadeye shooting guard with size come in, and a more established 5 to team with Johnson.

Will we be at this level? No, that would be impossible. But this year's level is out of this world.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe. The problem is that you're probably not gameplanning to stop the shooting, The first gameplan is Edey.

Or is it? We'll see I guess. That's the chess match Purdue opponents have struggled with all year.
Will be interesting to see how they go at him. NC State turned him over a lot with active hands in the lane, which we do extremely well.

Reaction Score
Slamson can be a starter for us. This is really his first year of playing (ie game time) college ball.

Think of the growth last year to this year.

If anything close to the same size jump next year he is much better than just a serviceable center (ie Tyler or Phil).
If there’s one thing I hope Samson learns… When the dude came in to dunk of Cling Kong, he did not foul and actually moved aside and said “go get em big boy” Have your moment.…Shuggs his shoulders like “hey that was a nice dunk”

No foul and while Bama got dazed by play we went on 8-0 run….

Samson next year, no need to foul when you don’t have to, take the game as it comes to you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sears with the classless foul.

In the moment, I was totally wtf.

Then, I wondered if he did it to put Andrew on the line to (A) let him score, or (B) challenge Danny to tell Andrew to not score and command his own kid miss a FT; (C) challenge Andrew to defy his father and make the shot, so that he wouldn't look bad by missing; or some other ridiculousness.

Then it turned out that UConn wasn't in the bonus,which circled back to wtf?

Castle made himself a lot of money tonight.

Sure did earn it.

It's like Somebody said, "Oh, you think that spin & dunk move on Illinois was enough to show you've got some offensive game?"

Most mature-playing young freshman I can recall seeing at UConn. I suppose Okafor would be my previous choice.

Seems like the other such greats took til sophomore year for the maturity piece, even if their skills flashed in varying degrees and timing during their freshman year.

"Gosh, imagine how much more improved he'd be if he just stayed another year (or two)."
Amiright?

/s (just in case)

Reaction Score
I don’t get the worry with Purdue. EDEY is gonna have to move a lot more than he ever does defensively, or they will have to play zone. Either way, bad for them. Yesterday most of their 3’s were totally uncontested. That will not happen tomorrow. And Castle is going to zero out their PG. This game won’t be close.

Reaction Score
We will make the tournament next year even with the loss of Newton, Spencer, Clingan and Castle, and once in we can always do damage. I expect Karaban to stay, and I think Diarra. Stewart can play at this level but has work to do over the summer to improve his handle and be more reliable shooting the ball from 3. Johnson is what he is which is an extremely springy 5 with great hands and timing. There aren't that many bulky yet talented centers to push him around. Ball will make the sophomore step up - I expect him to start. He was actually quite impressive when Castle was out early. Just needs to stay with the program physically and mentally, get his head straight. That's a pretty darn good core 5. You've got a very athletic center who's been on (hopefully) 2 NC teams, shooters in Karaban, Ball and Stewart, a point guard with experience in Diarra, all of whom know the system and what it takes to win.

Nowell and Abraham are players - Abraham looked great in yesterday's game vs. Monteverde. Ross and Roumoglou will have a chance to earn PT if they can buy into the defense - Ross for athleticism and Roumoglou is a remarkable shooter at 6'8". Would love for Ross to turn himself into a defensive stopper like Castle this year. Singare is a project, but is athletic so there's something there to work with. And transfers will only improve that base. I'd like to see deadeye shooting guard with size come in, and a more established 5 to team with Johnson.

Will we be at this level? No, that would be impossible. But this year's level is out of this world.
Great summary of our future but first there is tomorrow, Nite.

We match up well. Edey hasn't played against another size center like DC who has one national championship under his belt. We also go 6-8 deep with quality at every position. Our coaches add another dimension not many teams can match. WOW! Each starter has and might, on any occasion score 20+.

Reaction Score
Deny Purdy the ball, when he takes it low, take the ball, guard for kick outs and easy 3’s.

Push tempo.

Engage elite defense and use Samson/Clingon to wear out Edey. Tie game until 65 and win by 12 that is my hope!!!

Reaction Score
They were hanging around based on hitting 3s off of broken plays and weird bounces. It wasn't sustainable.
There was an analysis of this in The Athletic this morning. They said it was in Hurley's game plan to reduce the overall number of 'Bama's 3 Pt shots. They obviously succeeded.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty darn good core 5.
Besides the legendary status of going back to back a big Part of why I want to win so bad is that Hurley said it’s going to be a long time until were going to be this good again, if ever. Just have to be thankful for this season and accept we’ll prob never see anything as beautiful again.

I love the core 5 plus Nowell but I’d also like to supplement it with a shooter like McNeeley and a Center like Goldin. We aren’t going anywhere with an 8 man rotation like that.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Well, maybe. The problem is that you're probably not gameplanning to stop the shooting, The first gameplan is Edey.

Or is it? We'll see I guess. That's the chess match Purdue opponents have struggled with all year.
remember the UConn vs Shaq game plan

Reaction Score
Besides the legendary status of going back to back a big Part of why I want to win so bad is that Hurley said it’s going to be a long time until were going to be this good again, if ever. Just have to be thankful for this season and accept we’ll prob never see anything as beautiful again.

I love the core 5 plus Nowell but I’d also like to supplement it with a shooter like McNeeley and a Center like Goldin. We aren’t going anywhere with an 8 man rotation like that.
As a Seahawks fan who watched her team excruciatingly toss away the one chance it's likely ever going to get to win back-to-back Super Bowls, I can attest to feeling the most pressure since '99 for tomorrow night's game. These chances to repeat never come along for most programs/teams, and not capitalizing on one when it improbably develops will sting for a long time.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else get Deja Vu to this exact game last year when clingan got doubled in the paint and dropped it off to Castle for a dunk a la Sanogo to Andre vs. Miami ? That was a rush of serotonin I didn’t know I needed

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Alabama was competitive for 27 minutes, then got outscored 30-14. Congratulations, Alabama.

Honestly, St. John's played us tougher. Twice.
Not sure if I posted in this or a different thread, but for season, Johnnies attempted slightly more FGA per game as 'Bama, 64.8 vs 64.5. Big difference is 'Bama takes 29.9 3s per game vs SJU's 21.1, and converts at a higher %.

Last night, Alabama took 58 shots. In the two games vs SJU, UConn held them to 52 shots each time. What SJU did that 'Bama didn't was get turnovers and put multiple players in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
In the moment, I was totally wtf.

Then, I wondered if he did it to put Andrew on the line to (A) let him score, or (B) challenge Danny to tell Andrew to not score and command his own kid miss a FT; (C) challenge Andrew to defy his father and make the shot, so that he wouldn't look bad by missing; or some other ridiculousness.

Then it turned out that UConn wasn't in the bonus,which circled back to wtf?

Sure did earn it.

It's like Somebody said, "Oh, you think that spin & dunk move on Illinois was enough to show you've got some offensive game?"

Most mature-playing young freshman I can recall seeing at UConn. I suppose Okafor would be my previous choice.

Seems like the other such greats took til sophomore year for the maturity piece, even if their skills flashed in varying degrees and timing during their freshman year.

"Gosh, imagine how much more improved he'd be if he just stayed another year (or two)."
Amiright?

/s (just in case)
I thought Sears was a competitor that was pissed that he was about to lose, saw Hurley, knew who he was, fouled him and had something to say. Definitely a play with malice aforethought!! Great player notwithstanding, tough as nails.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom