Alabama Only Drops To #3 In The Bcs. | The Boneyard

Alabama Only Drops To #3 In The Bcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They stay ahead of unbeaten Stanford and Boise, and ahead of 1 loss Oklahoma and Oregon (the relevant-ish 1 loss teams).

Frankly, this is Stop. Yes, they barely lost to the #1 team. But it was at home. And they played poorly, missing all sorts of field goals, etc.

If Oklahoma finishes by winning out, they should jump Alabama. Same with Boise and Stanford (OU only if these two lose). The only way Alabama should play for the NC is if LSU loses, and even then their home loss isn't as impressive.

Reaction Score
Can't say I agree with you here. To my eyes, Alabama is clearly a better team than Oklahoma. I think people underestimate how tremendous the two defenses are on those two SEC teams.

Stanford has played ONE team that is even close to the top 25, which is USC. They probably deserved to lose that game. You are free to think whatever you want, but if Alabama played them, I don't have much doubt that the Tide would roll.

Past that, though, I don't get why you care what the rankings are now. A lot left to change the rest of the way.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
This will change if Stanford beats Oregon. They will also not surpass Okie State or be able to play ion a CCG so they will not get to #2 (hopefully anyway).

Reaction Score
The BCS is an ongoing, organic thing. If Oklahoma beats Okie State, they will jump in the SOS/polls, most likely, and that would get them ahead again in the BCS. If Stanford beats Oregon, who knows. There's a lot of football left to be played.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bama shouldn't get another shot. Otherwise, the BCS is just an intramural league. Even if they are the second best team, we already know they are not the best team. To me a one loss B12 championship team, is more deserving. I don't know how the egos of the other conference leaders would allow them to oppose a playoff if the SEC gets a rematch in the BCS.
_
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
BS on the SEC defenses...that was awful offensive football...I thought maybe Edsall came in to run the LSU offense...so much for tdhusky's theory of modern offensive football, huh? LSU, the nation's alleged #1 team threw the ball for 91 yards, scored no touchdowns and only won because the Tide was unbelievably more inept. The nation's #2 team doesn't have a fieldgoal kicker? That was the game of the Century all right...the 19th Century...

Reaction Score
"That was the game of the Century all right...the 19th Century." Well said freeccooter.
Friends of ours from BC were at the game, and they had never been in an SEC night game atmosphere. They said it was just like at The Heights when Wake Forest comes calling. lol

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
BS on the SEC defenses...that was awful offensive football...I thought maybe Edsall came in to run the LSU offense...so much for tdhusky's theory of modern offensive football, huh? LSU, the nation's alleged #1 team threw the ball for 91 yards, scored no touchdowns and only won because the Tide was unbelievably more inept. The nation's #2 team doesn't have a fieldgoal kicker? That was the game of the Century all right...the 19th Century...

Yet, LSU was the #12 scoring offense at 39+ pts a game coming in to the contest. Yeah, the Defenses are overrated. LSU only beats the doors off of Oregon (putting up 47 pts) and WVU in Morgantown. Trust me, yards were coming at a premium in that game. This is the best LSU team of alltime, and that statement acknowledges that they don't have a very good QB. That said, Bama should have dropped further. Luckily, they won't have the schedule to climb back up the ladder.

Reaction Score
You just can't have a situation where a team like Alabama, who played one OOC game of worth (Penn State), loses to the number 1 team and then gets a second shot over anyone in that top 6 (I'd say they should get a show over Oregon, as LSU already beat them). Stanford, Boise, and Oklahoma all deserve a shot if they win out (and OSU already has the driver's seat here).

Reaction Score
Yet, LSU was the #12 scoring offense at 39+ pts a game coming in to the contest. Yeah, the Defenses are overrated. LSU only beats the doors off of Oregon (putting up 47 pts) and WVU in Morgantown. Trust me, yards were coming at a premium in that game. This is the best LSU team of alltime, and that statement acknowledges that they don't have a very good QB. That said, Bama should have dropped further. Luckily, they won't have the schedule to climb back up the ladder.
I'm not saying htey don't have good defenses but come on...LSU quarterbacks were 9/17/2/91 yards. alabama had 199 yards passing...that was two very bad offensive football teams, or two very one dementional teams. If it had been two big East teams or two B-12 teams or probably even two B-10 or PAC 12 teams who put on that performance, all we'd read was how over rated they both were. But you're not allowed to say that about the SEC...

Reaction Score
I like to see one of them end up in a BCS bowl against Boise. I like Boise's chances against either one.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I like to see one of them end up in a BCS bowl against Boise. I like Boise's chances against either one.

In a 1 game scenario, I like Boise's chances against anyone really. I just don't believe they earn it with their schedule. LSU has played 6 ranked teams and still has the #7 team left. By comparison, BSU has beaten a very good Georgia team and the absolute dregs of FBS.

Reaction Score
I really don't get how people are complaining about current BCS standings. Many of the teams Alabama is ahead of (Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford) have chances in the very, very near future to beat very, very good teams and move up in the standings. If Stanford beats Oregon and still stays behind, then sure, complain. If Oklahoma beats Okie State and still stays behind, okay, sure. But right now, Alabama has already beaten Arkansas and Florida, which is more than Stanford or Oklahoma can say.

I mean, really, how hard can you penalize Bama for losing by 3 points to the best team in the country? Oklahoma dropped a game to Texas Tech. Stanford has played nobody. Oregon will get their shot to beat another Top 10 team. Same with the Sooners.

Will the BCS possibly fail us again this year? Sure. But it won't be because Alabama didn't drop enough after losing to LSU, I think.

Reaction Score
There was no way LSU could win that game, yet they did. The interception to the 5 called back for block in the back; pass to the goal line stolen on a great play; poor play calling and field management leading to a couple of field goal attempts longer than should have been; shuffle pass play on 1st ot play for no gain and then penalty. LSU guys make plays and cause brain farts in the opponents.

You don't win your league you should not play in the BCS championship. Why can't Ark. beat LSU and go to SEC championship, they scored 14 on Alabama and and only gave up 14 to Auburn. Don't pencil in LSU just yet, like I did with WV under Dickrod before they lost to Pitt and let Uconn tie for the championship.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this, but I thought it was funny...

Escape from Tuscaloosa
LSU_vs_Bama.gif

Reaction Score
You just can't have a situation where a team like Alabama, who played one OOC game of worth (Penn State), loses to the number 1 team and then gets a second shot over anyone in that top 6 (I'd say they should get a show over Oregon, as LSU already beat them). Stanford, Boise, and Oklahoma all deserve a shot if they win out (and OSU already has the driver's seat here).

this

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I agree. You should be required to win your conference title. I am not in favor of a wholesale playoff. A college football Final Four would certainly suffice for me.

Why can't Ark. beat LSU and go to SEC championship, they scored 14 on Alabama and and only gave up 14 to Auburn.

If Arkansas beats LSU, it sets up a 3-way tie in which they look at the head to head record of the 2 highest ranked teams (in the BCS). LSU losing at the end of the season like that would likely drop them below both Arky and Bama, which would mean Bama goes to the SECCG by virtue of their win over Arky. Weak stuff as far as I am concerned. My only hope would be that Arky was still around #7 and LSU wouldn't drop below them after a loss in Baton Rouge. If Arky beats LSU, the Tigers are essentially out from what I can tell.

Reaction Score

TDH is still right . . . the name of the game is offense. Having said that, Saturday was a game right out of the 1890's. But . . . their defense are loaded with the best of the best (so much for the "stars mean nothing" recruiting arguement). Beside of the course of the season, these offense's have lit people up. So yeah, I'd take the occasional "pitcher's dual", but doesn't change anything. How do you think Uconn would do against either one of these defenses? "No runs, no hits, no errors". Like watch Nolan Ryan ring up K after K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom