AL.com Reporting Charlie Strong Interviewed For Auburn HC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AL.com Reporting Charlie Strong Interviewed For Auburn HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2013 Rivals Recruit Rankings
•Note: Teams in bold below are considered God's Gift to Football and singlehandedly will save a conference's crappy football perception.

#2 Pittsburgh 19 0 2 8 2.63 1200
#3 Cincinnati 17 0 0 11 2.69 990
#4 Connecticut 18 0 0 10 2.56 960
#5 South Florida 15 0 1 7 2.6 875
#6 Temple 16 0 0 4 2.25 750
#7 Louisville 9 0 0 8 2.89 630
#8 Syracuse 9 0 0 7 2.7 555
Their average recruit rating is #1.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Ha. Ha. Ha....

If only this happened yesterday.

I'm sure the reason it didn't break yesterday was so that it would be kept hush hush so it wasn't known before the ACC vote.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You idiots are laughing at them? Seriously? Laugh at them nd keep driving your fords. They laughing in their b,w's all the way to the bank. You think UL cares that Strong leaves!?!? They're better than us! They proved it today! You want the next great up and coming coach?! Too bad! He's going to the vill!
If you don't see the irony in Strong interviewing with an SEC school the day after the ACC selected Ville over UCONN in part because of their football prowess I don't know what to tell you. Im not laughing that them but i do wish their football team a series of awful coaching hires resulting in consecutive 0 win seasons.

Reaction Score
My non-expert (but pretty tuned in) eye tells me Charlie Strong is overrated. He may know it too. So it's grab the big bucks while he can get it. I say he's as good as gone from the Ville.

Reaction Score
please note, a "cant win" coaching position in the sec is still better than the best coaching position in the acc.

Reaction Score
Why are you all assuming he will get the job? It just says that he interviewed for it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why are you all assuming he will get the job? It just says that he interviewed for it.

No one said he would. But he'll get this job or a similar one very soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My non-expert (but pretty tuned in) eye tells me Charlie Strong is overrated. He may know it too. So it's grab the big bucks while he can get it. I say he's as good as gone from the Ville.

I agree. He is a one dimensional coach in terms of pure attack on defense but there is no deception or concealing defenses. He just attacks. He landed a tremendous recruit in Bridgewater, which hides the fact that this team is not that good and almost lost to FIU and USM. Strong isn't a bad coach, but he is nothing special either.

Smart move is to get paid.

Reaction Score
The ACC and their "football schools" were flat out stupid in their choice. That simple. Louisville is not even a destination program.

This may be one of the silliest comments I've read. Of course louisville isn't a "destination" job - neither are 99.5% of the other programs in college football.

There are about five "destination" jobs in all of college football - maybe zero if you hire a guy who is young enough and wants to try his luck in the pros.

BTW, Strong has already publicly denied the report. I'm betting they hire Petrino, that is unless UConn wises up and takes him first.

Reaction Score
This ended up being a false report and has been retracted. Can't link from my phone.

A little surprised at the anti-Louisville here. Louisville fans for the most part are in your camp and was hoping both of us got invited.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
This ended up being a false report and has been retracted. Can't link from my phone.

A little surprised at the anti-Louisville here. Louisville fans for the most part are in your camp and was hoping both of us got invited.
People are just venting

Reaction Score

We're anti-everybody today. Well, we haven't gotten ticked at the Pac 12 yet, but they're next, starting with Oregon State.

Warde, we're going to be awfully hard on the Beavers tonight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This may be one of the silliest comments I've read. Of course louisville isn't a "destination" job - neither are 99.5% of the other programs in college football.

There are about five "destination" jobs in all of college football - maybe zero if you hire a guy who is young enough and wants to try his luck in the pros.

BTW, Strong has already publicly denied the report. I'm betting they hire Petrino, that is unless UConn wises up and takes him first.
Almost all B1G, SEC, most Pac-12 and some Big 12 programs ARE destination jobs, as a college coach.

Reaction Score
Nope. One of our local reporters had someone from Auburn or the Birmingham paper on for a quick interview after the supposed rumor broke about the interview. What actually took place was a scout person representing Auburns search committee contacted Charlie Strong by phone. It was not an interview of any sort. Now what was asked and what Charlie responded with, I guess nobody knows. He could have told the guy yes I may be interested in being a candidate or sorry I'm not going no where. Who knows. But the Birmingham paper site ran with a rumor and put it out that Auburn had interviewed Strong.

Coaches lie all the time and we certainly know that from Petrinos days here. If Strong is in fact interested in the Auburn job, his interview on the Jim Rome show saying "I'm not cut like that Jim" when asked if he would consider leaving the University of Louisville for Arkansas would come back to bite him. However, we truly have seen his emotion and dedication to Tom Jurich for finally giving him the opportunity to be a head coach when others turned a blind eye for many years. We as fans are leaning on his emotions that do seem genuine and would be shocked if this all ended up being true. Thankfully, this interview by our reporter proved out to be just a "contact" by a scout and not any form of official interview by Auburn.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This shouldnt' be a surprise to anyone. This is a very smart move by Strong and his agent. Jurich gave Strong and his agent all the incentive in the world to shop himself this year. A few weeks back Jurich statet that they will match whatever offer Strong gets at any other school in order to keep him. So now Strong's agent is going to get him involved at every possible opening (especially Arkansas and Auburn...schools that are desperate to offer an absolutely ridiculous offer for him) and get the highest offer that they can. I have no idea if Strong intends to leave or not. But even if he is 100% on staying at Louisville, he will do this to get some ridiculous offer that Jurich has cornered himself into matching because of his prior statements. Strong could be among the 5 highest paid coaches in the nation within a month or two.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I compared him to Schiano before we beat his ass. Good for a couple of WTF losses every year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This shouldnt' be a surprise to anyone. This is a very smart move by Strong and his agent. Jurich gave Strong and his agent all the incentive in the world to shop himself this year. A few weeks back Jurich statet that they will match whatever offer Strong gets at any other school in order to keep him. So now Strong's agent is going to get him involved at every possible opening (especially Arkansas and Auburn...schools that are desperate to offer an absolutely ridiculous offer for him) and get the highest offer that they can. I have no idea if Strong intends to leave or not. But even if he is 100% on staying at Louisville, he will do this to get some ridiculous offer that Jurich has cornered himself into matching because of his prior statements. Strong could be among the 5 highest paid coaches in the nation within a month or two.
You pretty much nailed it in my opinion. Charlies agent needs to be out there spreading every rumor he can about Strong to every high paying opening in the country. With Louisville's recent move to the ACC and Jurich's comments about doing whatever he can to keep him he is going to leverage this into a kings ransom. Look at one little rumor did for Les Miles yesterday.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My new dream is that Rutgers whips Louisville tonight and after the game Auburn (or who ever) announces that they have hired Strong as their new head coach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ESPN's AA, 9 long hours ago:

"Coach Charlie Strong is one of the hottest rising coaches in the country. Moving from the down-in-the-doldrums Big East to the ACC should help guard against a potential move to a bigger school. Strong has been very clear about his commitment to Louisville."

9 hours ago. 9
And this shows the ESPN hand in the selection. Scr*w ESPN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom