Akok starting to fill out a little. Scary thought. | The Boneyard

Akok starting to fill out a little. Scary thought.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need him to be strong enough to be durable and play day in and out all season long. That’s my modest wish list for him.
I like the fact that he’s adding weight because that will give us more flexibility at the 5. We really need him to be able to play the 5 with our depth issues there.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow the recruits to close and rather wait until I see them in a Uconn uniform. This guy is very intriguing. Is his game like a Donyell Marshall? He was so versatile and one of my favorite Huskies of all time.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I just logged on to post this. He is starting to look chiseled. This is GREAT news!

Reaction Score
I really hope he gives us two solid years. If he plays with his eyes set on the NBA it could hurt the team if he thinks "me first" to impress the scouts. Hope thats not the case and I hope if DH is the man I think he is he will put an end to that rather quickly. Im really looking forward to this season as I think this is the season this program starts its ascension back to prominence.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We some side by side pictures

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His arms and his face is definitely fuller than when I last saw/spoke with him in March
This is great
He needed weight and more importantly - muscle
Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about really long arms, there is a whole lot real estate for the muscle to occupy. It's a lot easier for little guys to get "Popeye arms." I'm impressed with what Akok and Sal have achieved in a relatively short period of time, starting pretty much from zero in terms of core strength and fitness. Really impressed, actually, as I think he'll play stronger than looks. That said, my bigger concern was always his base. That's where the strength to bang comes from. It that's not there the upper body strength won't help all that much. We'll see.

#Trusttheprocess
#TrustinSal

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about really long arms, there is a whole lot real estate for the muscle to occupy. It's a lot easier for little guys to get "Popeye arms." I'm impressed with what Akok and Sal have achieved in a relatively short period of time, starting pretty much from zero in terms of core strength and fitness. Really impressed, actually, as I think he'll play stronger than looks. That said, my bigger concern was always his base. That's where the strength to bang comes from. It that's not there the upper body strength won't help all that much. We'll see.

#Trusttheprocess
#TrustinSal
Well when you have a “blank slate” per se you can actually accomplish a lot very fast, especially with a professional like Sal. Well-understood concept of “noob gains”, young guys can explode their first 12-18 months of training before their body adjusts and returns begin diminishing.

This leads to the average, half-lay person commonly expecting kids to gain 15-25 pounds of muscle per off season. They see some high school kids, testosterone through the roof, bust ass and blow up, and just figure it’s a linear progression

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well when you have a “blank slate” per se you can actually accomplish a lot very fast, especially with a professional like Sal. Well-understood concept of “noob gains”, young guys can explode their first 12-18 months of training before their body adjusts and returns begin diminishing.

This leads to the average, half-lay person commonly expecting kids to gain 15-25 pounds of muscle per off season. They see some high school kids, testosterone through the roof, bust ass and blow up, and just figure it’s a linear progression
It was really interesting seeing Sal's approach. A lot of body weight exercises as Akok built his core. A lot of time ingraining technique. It's not flashy but it is an intelligent patient approach that will payoff in the long run. I'm excited to see the results on the court.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Getting to him enroll in the middle of last year was so important. I'm excited to watch him play!
So important, dude had an extra 5 months with Hurley and learning the system, im for one very excited to watch him play

Reaction Score
It was really interesting seeing Sal's approach. A lot of body weight exercises as Akok built his core. A lot of time ingraining technique. It's not flashy but it is an intelligent patient approach that will payoff in the long run. I'm excited to see the results on the court.
Well “body weight” when you’re already 200lbs with no muscle is a load in itself. And like I said with Carlton, when you’re super inexperienced, a good coach will facilitate you learning your body, your baseline and target end ranges of motion, how your body feels, building proprioceptive and kinesthetic awareness, challenging muscles that may not have been “turned on” through just basketball skill training alone. You do all that with slow, controlled, eccentric movements; and when someone has never picked a barbell in their life, it’s best to just start with their own body weight.

There’s simply no point in throwing loads on a kid who probably struggled with pushups and has never tried to get in to a body weight squat, especially in this case where you had the whole semester to get him ready for college loads. Was Akok even allowed to participate in basketball activities? Or were they able to just focus on the gym? I recall the latter

Reaction Score
A beefy Akok is going to be a key for us to be able to punish the rest of the AAC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom