Akok - Injured? Not in the mix for play this postseason or does Hurley think at this time he a liability on the floor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok - Injured? Not in the mix for play this postseason or does Hurley think at this time he a liability on the floor?

Reaction Score
While I agree he is prolly not 100% and DH is being cautious, it is strange how he had that great sequence vs Xavier almost a month ago and since then his minutes have decreased. Not saying he shud be going full tilt, but why not let him get 5 spot mins here or there? U never kno when we might need him with the postseason coming up. Plus he uplifts the team so much when he’s in there. Weird he wouldn’t be used more as a secret weapon for a few mins here or there. So my point is, why even bother putting him in a month ago if it’s too much risk? I mean, u saw what he did in that short stint- it was impressive. That’s the only thing I don’t get. Why even play him

Reaction Score
While I agree he is prolly not 100% and DH is being cautious, it is strange how he had that great sequence vs Xavier almost a month ago and since then his minutes have decreased. Not saying he shud be going full tilt, but why not let him get 5 spot mins here or there? U never kno when we might need him with the postseason coming up. Plus he uplifts the team so much when he’s in there. Weird he wouldn’t be used more as a secret weapon for a few mins here or there. So my point is, why even bother putting him in a month ago if it’s too much risk? I mean, u saw what he did in that short stint- it was impressive. That’s the only thing I don’t get. Why even play him
I think in the next pregame press conference he told the tv or print that Akok had come to him about not feeling as good. At that point it has always seemed that the message has been the same, he will play if he feels up to it. In the couple cameos since, he has not looked strong or athletically confident to me.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. There has been no point this year where Akok has played well, or looked good. There was one game where he shot the ball 4 times, and 3 went it, so then in Boneyard world it was decided he played well. But he didn’t. There has been no time this season where he’s had the type of positive impact on the game that he had on a regular basis last year before he got injured. At all. There was just a time he made 2 jump shots and a nice drive to the hoop.

Maybe he plays if we have crazy foul trouble, or spot minutes if he feels amazing that day.

Otherwise we’ll see him next year.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. There has been no point this year where Akok has played well, or looked good. There was one game where he shot the ball 4 times, and 3 went it, so then in Boneyard world it was decided he played well. But he didn’t. There has been no time this season where he’s had the type of positive impact on the game that he had on a regular basis last year before he got injured. At all. There was just a time he made 2 jump shots and a nice drive to the hoop.

Maybe he plays if we have crazy foul trouble, or spot minutes if he feels amazing that day.

Otherwise we’ll see him next year.
Actually he looked incredible in that short stint. You missed it.

Reaction Score
So at some point coaches determined he is not going to be 100% and have used him accordingly.

Reaction Score
Actually he looked incredible in that short stint. You missed it.
No, he didn't. He's clearly been a shell of himself in every game he's played, because he's not doing any of the "Akok" things he did last year that made him so valuable. And that's to be expected, he's coming off an extremely serious injury.

Xavier left him wide open, and he made them pay, but if he had taken those same shots and missed, no one here would be saying he played well, and no one would be asking about his playing time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no doubt in my mind that Akok, the coaches and the medical staff are all on the same page. They've said this injury takes a long time to rehab and he would only play spot minutes this year. And now he's been playing spot minutes. Why is this an issue?

Reaction Score
No, he didn't. He's clearly been a shell of himself in every game he's played, because he's not doing any of the "Akok" things he did last year that made him so valuable. And that's to be expected, he's coming off an extremely serious injury.

Xavier left him wide open, and he made them pay, but if he had taken those same shots and missed, no one here would be saying he played well, and no one would be asking about his playing time.
Well I agree when you miss your shots you don’t look good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I still think a mass hanging of all these folks is warranted. Even if it doesn't help the mojo it's justified.
Are they lawyers?

Reaction Score
I get that part. It's the return and renewed shutdown that makes me question. Is that typical?

It is typical. Firstly, we are only one year removed the injury, and covid surely impacted some aspects of rehab.

Secondly, due to the weak blood supply to the lower extremity (achilles), progress may be somewhat non-linear. This non-linearity can cause one to feel great one day (e.g., Xavier game), followed by moderate inflammation the next few days.

Finally, like any injury, there will be the mental challenge. It is normal for the athlete (or anyone) to be overly sensitive regarding pain perception with respect to the injured limb. In some cases, the individual will feel pain/sensitivity as the tendon heals and scar tissue moves and evolves.

In sum, everything is normal so far. Akok might get some spot duty during the tournaments, but I'm optimistic about his prospects for October. Make no mistake, however, this particular injury can change career and life trajectories.

Reaction Score
I ask, for those who think this thread is superfluous why participate?

Reaction Score
All you have to do to understand AA's challenges this year is to follow @Doctor Hoop's insights and responses. He's a professional doc and familiar with the injury--Not necessarily the specific fact pattern of AA's unique injury but certainly a well-informed sports doc practitioner who provides valuable information.

Despite what AA's brain and competitive spirit might be telling him-- Playing this year for any significant time-if at all going forward--would put his career and full recovery at risk.

Unfortunately for this season..It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Is this a bit or are you being serious?
I had the same thought, but maybe he was saying, "UCONN is just not very forthcoming about injuries, as evidenced by the Bouknight debacle." Could have just been poor phrasing.

Reaction Score
I had the same thought, but maybe he was saying, "UCONN is just not very forthcoming about injuries, as evidenced by the Bouknight debacle." Could have just been poor phrasing.
I am quite serious about Bouknight. No one had any idea when or whether he would come back definitively though the coach said several weeks. Also the procedure he had done was never let out until he was almost back.

Reaction Score
I am quite serious about Bouknight. No one had any idea when or whether he would come back definitively though the coach said several weeks. Also the procedure he had done was never let out until he was almost back.

1. You just said that the coach said several weeks. As I recall he said 4-6 weeks and that turned out to be correct. Most of the confusion seemed to be Boneyard "insiders" just creating drama.

2. Re: Akok, you're correct that people can just ignore the thread, but it just seems stupefying that someone who actually reads the posts on this board can still profess to be in the dark about what's going on with Akok after it seems like it's been explained dozens of times.

Reaction Score
I get that part. It's the return and renewed shutdown that makes me question. Is that typical?
For serious injuries it isn’t unusual. Guys try and maybe even play pretty well, then have problems a the next day in terms of soreness, stiffness etc maybe another minor injury from favoring or trying to protect the original injury. I would guess that is what happened to Akok. Coming back from this type of injury anything we get this year is a bonus.

Reaction Score
1. You just said that the coach said several weeks. As I recall he said 4-6 weeks and that turned out to be correct. Most of the confusion seemed to be Boneyard "insiders" just creating drama.

2. Re: Akok, you're correct that people can just ignore the thread, but it just seems stupefying that someone who actually reads the posts on this board can still profess to be in the dark about what's going on with Akok after it seems like it's been explained dozens of times.
And then beyond that, read the replies to the thread they started with Hurley's comments and ask why they're not being forthcoming with info. It's bizarre

Reaction Score
Playing 5 min to risk longer term damage just doesn't make sense to me. Rehab, work on skills, get mentally better then come back as a force next season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom