Akok Blocked Shot Technique | The Boneyard

Akok Blocked Shot Technique

C

Chief00

Lots I could highlight negatively about last night’s game as Chief heads to the airport. But, others have covered that.
Chief just wants to say how impressed I am with Akok using both hands in his shot blocking tool box. He uses the hand opposite the hand the ball is coming off. Uses his left hand against a right hand shot and his right hand against a left hand shot. This sounds basic, but so many guys cross over and use their strong hand. The crossing over increases the risk of fouls and shortens the reach to block the shot. By using great technique Akok avoids those two pitfalls.
He also has a well coached patience on his blocking technique and has that God gifted quick explosive reaction only after the offensive guy commits to the shot. Akok seldom buys into a pump fake, which is unusual for a freshman.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know anyone that uses the wrong hand to block shots. I am middle aged, in meh shape, and I still know which hand to use when I contest a shot against the other middle aged guys at the Y. So do all of them.

I will give Akok credit for his timing and not fouling that often when he blocks. That is hard to teach.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That one block he made where the Cinci player with the ball had him pinned down deep in the low post, then pump-faked Akok into the air, and Akok was able to land, jump, and block the shot anyway...that was incredible.

C

Chief00

I don't know anyone that uses the wrong hand to block shots. I am middle aged, in meh shape, and I still know which hand to use when I contest a shot against the other middle aged guys at the Y. So do all of them.

I will give Akok credit for his timing and not fouling that often when he blocks. That is hard to teach.
It happens all the time. When Chief watches AAU, it’s almost the standard. We are not talking about a bunch of fat middle age guys, who can only block a shot when some dude literally shoots the ball into the blockers hands. When guys jump (who can jump) there is a tendency to use one dominant hand in a block attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It happens all the time. When Chief watches AAU, it’s almost the standard. We are not talking about a bunch of fat middle age guys, who can only block a shot when some dude literally shoots the ball into the blockers hands. When guys jump (who can jump) there is a tendency to use one dominant hand in a block attempt.
see Sid!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm going off memory, but I think Brimah tended to use the dominant hand. Part of the reason he blocked so many out of bounds behind the basket. Emeka used both as Akok does. Not sure about Thabeet.

Reaction Score
Shot blocking is such a rare skill because it takes such a combination of size, athleticism, technique, and instinct to do effectively.

IE - If you have size, athleticism, and technique, you still will likely foul often if you don't have the instinct to take proper angles and anticipate pump fakes.

It is what made Emeka the most dominant shotblocker in UConn history. He had all of the skills.

Akok is in that same class, but needs to add some strength and confidence.

Reaction Score
Shot blocking is such a rare skill because it takes such a combination of size, athleticism, technique, and instinct to do effectively.

IE - If you have size, athleticism, and technique, you still will likely foul often if you don't have the instinct to take proper angles and anticipate pump fakes.

It is what made Emeka the most dominant shotblocker in UConn history. He had all of the skills.

Akok is in that same class, but needs to add some strength and confidence.
Okafor and Akok are pretty good shotblockers but you obviously haven't seen Nelson block shots.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have coached AAU, and I don't know any coach that doesn't correct a kid closing out on a shooter or bodying up inside with the wrong hand.

C

Chief00

I have coached AAU, and I don't know any coach that doesn't correct a kid closing out on a shooter or bodying up inside with the wrong hand.
Quite frankly, almost none of his block activity is closing out on shooters. It’s interior, in the paint, blocks shots, both help and guarding type situations.
Please don’t be offended or defensive about this - Chief isn’t saying many coaches don’t try to correct it. The reality is that’s one of the reasons guys get in foul trouble. Chief’s point in this post is not to criticize the lack of fundamentals in certain AAU games, that’s a conversation for another day. I recognize coaches do the best they can at all levels of AAU.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I'm going off memory, but I think Brimah tended to use the dominant hand. Part of the reason he blocked so many out of bounds behind the basket. Emeka used both as Akok does. Not sure about Thabeet.
Exactly right.

Reaction Score
I get what Chief is saying. You can teach kids all sorts of fundamentals but in split second, reactionary situations (not closeouts) some players have certain intuition or instincts that allow them to excel. Mitchell Robinson is an example at the next level: he's fantastic at blocking shots with his left hand and/or the appropriate hand. It's natural for some, learned for others, or never grasped by the rest.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
:(

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Something he also does well after blocked shots is run back and translate defense into offense.

Lol at 8-0 run to cut it to 15. This play was pretty crazy. I remember thinking the lob was for Bouknight but then Akok came outta nowhere. He takes pride in being the first down court it seems.

Reaction Score

Lots I could highlight negatively about last night’s game as Chief heads to the airport. But, others have covered that.
Chief just wants to say how impressed I am with Akok using both hands in his shot blocking tool box. He uses the hand opposite the hand the ball is coming off. Uses his left hand against a right hand shot and his right hand against a left hand shot. This sounds basic, but so many guys cross over and use their strong hand. The crossing over increases the risk of fouls and shortens the reach to block the shot. By using great technique Akok avoids those two pitfalls.
He also has a well coached patience on his blocking technique and has that God gifted quick explosive reaction only after the offensive guy commits to the shot. Akok seldom buys into a pump fake, which is unusual for a freshman.
Mek had that timing and patience as well. Others like sheem and Hilton just used size and athleticism.

Reaction Score
A ghttps://the-boneyard.com/threads/change-now.150832 AA gets the D Reb. and starts the Out. Pass better than anyone by far. Also like his dunk vs Cin. when he had 3 men guarding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom