Akok and Hawkins | The Boneyard

Akok and Hawkins

Reaction Score
I havent Watched as closely this year. But I’m baffled but the lack of mins for Akok, is he hurt? This team played six guys tonight I do not understand.

We need Hawkins to be better. Early in the year i understand the struggles but now he needs to be further along.

not taking a transfer shooter scorer is killing us.

Reaction Score
They played 9 guys. But it's about match-ups as well. But there are games he's started and hasn't really been stellar. Either way, this team is not a great team. I'd say there is potential to be a top 16 team but nothing else.

Reaction Score
They never saw a minute in the 2nd half. Akok must be wondering why he is here. Hawk has to feel pressure because he is buried on the bench when he misses a few shots. Meanwhile AJ shoots 2 for 11 with several air balls, gets beat on D and rarely comes out. The other 2 freshman may not play again this year. Our starters were gassed in the first half. This is not a good look and it will be used against us during recruiting. Danny needs to look at himself in the mirror and give himself the scowl.

Reaction Score
They played 9 guys. But it's about match-ups as well. But there are games he's started and hasn't really been stellar. Either way, this team is not a great team. I'd say there is potential to be a top 16 team but nothing else.
6 guys played…. The other 3 players logged Hawkins (6 min), Gaffney (6 min), Akok (2 min)

You can’t be playing 6 man rotations you are going to run the main players into the ground. Just bad roster management

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
They never saw a minute in the 2nd half. Akok must be wondering why he is here. Hawk has to feel pressure because he is buried on the bench when he misses a few shots. Meanwhile AJ shoots 2 for 11 with several air balls, gets beat on D and rarely comes out. The other 2 freshman may not play again this year. Our starters were gassed in the first half. This is not a good look and it will be used against us during recruiting. Danny needs to look at himself in the mirror and give himself the scowl.
I agree, they were gassed. You could tell by the expressions on the face and the hanging arms. Did DePaul wear the guys down? I have never been to Hartford for a game, but I just don't like the XL. In Storrs, the screaming students is the way to go.

Reaction Score
Sad but true: akok is just not good enough against top competition. He gets absolutely destroyed on D, even if he is good for one or two flashy blocks. And his offensive skill set is lacking, needs to be completely wide open to score.

Reaction Score
Akok needs to add weight, if possible. He gets manhandled down low. Still, I like to see him in there now and then to hit a couple of 3’s and bring some energy. He is often a plus even if he is getting beat on D.

Reaction Score
I havent Watched as closely this year. But I’m baffled but the lack of mins for Akok, is he hurt? This team played six guys tonight I do not understand.

We need Hawkins to be better. Early in the year i understand the struggles but now he needs to be further along.

not taking a transfer shooter scorer is killing us.
I suggest watching closely. Hurley can't be more clear about Akok. He isn't contributing on either end of the floor in games or in practice. He hasn't earned minutes.

I am a huge believer in Hawkins. He was brutal yesterday in the first half. he played himself off the court. In a close game, late in the game, he belonged on the bench.

Reaction Score
They're just not good enough right now, it's as simple as that. Hopefully it changes because it's one of the more important things for this team to get where we want them to be. But after 20 games it's hard to expect things to change

Reaction Score
They're just not good enough right now, it's as simple as that. Hopefully it changes because it's one of the more important things for this team to get where we want them to be. But after 20 games it's hard to expect things to change
I wouldn't lump Hawkins and Akok together. Being a freshman, I wouldn't be shocked (although I am not getting my hopes up) if things click for Hawkins and he is able to contribute 10 or more meaningful minutes per game. Akok, on the other hand, is in his 4th calendar year at UConn, and it unfortunately looks like he is just not as good as we fans want him to be.

Reaction Score
I suggest watching closely. Hurley can't be more clear about Akok. He isn't contributing on either end of the floor in games or in practice. He hasn't earned minutes.

I am a huge believer in Hawkins. He was brutal yesterday in the first half. he played himself off the court. In a close game, late in the game, he belonged on the bench.

If that is the case, AJ should have joined him. You can‘t play 5/6 guys only. We were 10 point favourites at home against a middling BE team. You have to come out of this with a win, even if it ugly.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins needs more of a leash than he’s been given. He had a couple good looks that just didn’t fall and when they don’t fall he has it ingrained in his head he’s going to sit on the bench for the remainder of the game. Hurley has created this scenario and has killed his confidence

When his shots fall you can see him with more confidence cause he’s not afraid of being castaway to the bench

Reaction Score
6 guys played…. The other 3 players logged Hawkins (6 min), Gaffney (6 min), Akok (2 min)

You can’t be playing 6 man rotations you are going to run the main players into the ground. Just bad roster management

And this is why we have 6 threads on the xl center vs gampel debate today.

If we faced some of the basketball related problems there would be no defense to some of this stuff.

Hurley made a series of choices that has severely limited his depth after bragging how deep the team would be in the off season and as recently as the Georgetown game. Started with not filling the 13th scholarship. Redshirted Floyd. Fine. Makes sense. Springs is apparently not good enough. K. I get it. Down to 11. Neither diggins or Samson can help us this year?? Really?? No playing time against cupcakes? Ok. Down to 9. And now akok akok mins are going down by choice. Hawkins plays like a frosh and is not providing a spark we need. And gaffney clearly hasn’t improved. Ok now we have a problem. And that’s not including the super streaky players we have (polley Martin Jackson). There is a series of choices that put us in this depth bind. It’s not sustainable. But hey. Muh XL Center!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really think we need to get Hawkins more minutes (20+) & Johnson in the mix (10 mins)....they are crucial to next year so they need to develop now. Not saying have to play in crunch time but they need to get consistent minutes, or in Johnson case any minutes. If you say Samson Johnson has "wall" potential you can't have him on bench, except for last 3 mins of blowouts, entire freshman year.

Reaction Score
I agree. As bad as Hawkins has been, I think that at this point, we need to just throw him out there for 20 minutes per game, and hope the lightbulb goes on. We can not win without a go-to scorer, and right now we don't have one. That's not to take anything away from Cole, but your PG can't be the guy unless he has another guy on the perimeter who is a constant threat to score.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I watch. He came in, fought hard for a rebound. Set two good screens, and blocked a shot and recovered it. That's his 2 minutes. Probably as good a two minute stretch as anybody had.

Hurley has blinders. He seems to have some vision he wants but doesn't accept what players do well. For example, Whaley is an awful screener. He never sets his feet, never holds through the screen and takes off before it is set. Akok is really the only guy on the team that sets good screens (Jackson at times). He's an aggressive and good rebounder on both ends. He shoots efficiently. Blocks shots. I really do not know what he's expecting...Donyell Marhsall?

Reaction Score
Hawkins has been unplayable. His shooting is as erractic as anybody we have seen in a while. Balls barely hitting the rim and crashing off the backboard, it looks like he has no touch at all. Yep, he does have games where he looks okay, pretty good. And then it's followed by a game from Brick City.

He needs to find one thing he can do consistently well. And work from there.

Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to learn to do something on the court besides chuck up 3s. I mean, right now him and Akok are basically the same player, Hawkins is just smaller. Hawkins is okay in iso defense, I will say that, but does get bullied. He did what he was asked to do when he was in, take some 3s. He just missed them terribly.

Reaction Score

From a roster building standpoint, maybe, but how is DH suppose to play Gaffney and Hawkins more when they are playing the way they are?

Reaction Score
I watch. He came in, fought hard for a rebound. Set two good screens, and blocked a shot and recovered it. That's his 2 minutes. Probably as good a two minute stretch as anybody had.

Hurley has blinders. He seems to have some vision he wants but doesn't accept what players do well. For example, Whaley is an awful screener. He never sets his feet, never holds through the screen and takes off before it is set. Akok is really the only guy on the team that sets good screens (Jackson at times). He's an aggressive and good rebounder on both ends. He shoots efficiently. Blocks shots. I really do not know what he's expecting...Donyell Marhsall?

I clicked on this thread pretty much just to see if you would say that Akok was the player of the game. It's a bit at this point.

Reaction Score

other than Whalley, the entire team played their way off the floor.

Reaction Score

Akok didn't block anything, he got turned around like three times on that possession and the Creighton player missed the wide open layup which Akok rebounded.

You can argue he should get more minutes but he was totally lost on that defensive possession and didn't block a shot.

Reaction Score
In the women’s game, the top teams (South Carolina, Stanford) routinely play 10 or more players no matter who the opponent. It gets reserves in shape and able to contribute, and the team is upbeat and “happy”. Plus these teams have more energy at the end.

Wish Hurley would do this.

Reaction Score

He got totally lost and turned around on at least one (maybe two?) defensive switches, which has been a common theme for him recently. With his limited offensive game, it's just hard to play him as he's such a drop off defensively right now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

We had a much stronger second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom