Akok Akok: One of Rothstein's Twenty "Breakout Players" | The Boneyard

Akok Akok: One of Rothstein's Twenty "Breakout Players"

Reaction Score
And his cover page model.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love it. We really need him to be the impact player we know he can be. I can't think of a UConn player I have rooted for harder. Love the way he plays and that injury was so awful and unfair.

Reaction Score
I feel like we've gotten such mixed reviews on Akok. He is a total wildcard. There's a chance he doesn't recover fully from the achilles tear and is never the same... and another chance that he is this breakout player.

Last week we had Hurley saying he's behind Whaley, and competing with Johnson (a raw freshman) for minutes. Now he might be a top-20 breakout player of the season from Rothstein... who is probably basing this on practice observations and talking with the coaches.

if just one of Jackson or Akok ends up being the breakout player we hope for, this team is in for a hell of a ride this season.

Reaction Score
I had said it this summer but If a lineup of Sanogo, Akok, Hawkins, Jackson, and Cole are playing significant minutes this team will be very good. I now it's hard to leave out Whaley (who will definitely get minutes) but the lineup of those 5 playing together have the most potential upside

Reaction Score
I now it's hard to leave out Whaley (who will definitely get minutes) but the lineup of those 5 playing together have the most potential upside
What's great about this team: replace Whaley's name with six or seven other guys and you can make a realistic argument.

Reaction Score

"Don’t be shocked if this kid winds up as one of the top rebounders in the WCC."

Lohner could easily be #1 on this breakout list but...

Caleb Lohner was 4th in rebounding last year in the WCC. It is hard to be shocked about something that already happened.

What a goofball Rothstein is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Gaff can break out this season then our season will be special. Everyone is sleeping on him as he still has much to prove, but damn, if he can get it going . . . . . . . . . .

Akok, Jackson and Gaff will all break out, Sanogo will be the best C in the county and Martin will shoot over 35% from 3. So I am looking forward to beating Gonzaga by 7 in the national championship game. It will be tough to replace our 3 first round draft picks next season though.

Reaction Score
I had said it this summer but If a lineup of Sanogo, Akok, Hawkins, Jackson, and Cole are playing significant minutes this team will be very good. I now it's hard to leave out Whaley (who will definitely get minutes) but the lineup of those 5 playing together have the most potential upsideIf that means 2 others besides Coleare knocking down three in the high 30% range your probably right
Three big Akok question marks that will really determine his future
1. Is he 100% recovered from his injury both physically and mentally? I’m not referring to normal rustiness but being tentative in his approach to the game.
2. Can he improve his outside shooting enough to drag a defender out preventing the double team on our five?
3. Did he improve his strength enough to survive the rigors at the next level
If the answer to all three is yeas he will be a hot commodity come spring.

Reaction Score
Akok, Jackson and Gaff will all break out, Sanogo will be the best C in the county and Martin will shoot over 35% from 3. So I am looking forward to beating Gonzaga by 7 in the national championship game. It will be tough to replace our 3 first round draft picks next season though.
Scrappy?

Reaction Score
I had said it this summer but If a lineup of Sanogo, Akok, Hawkins, Jackson, and Cole are playing significant minutes this team will be very good. I now it's hard to leave out Whaley (who will definitely get minutes) but the lineup of those 5 playing together have the most potential upside

Three guys in that 5 man lineup have to make a significant leap to gain the playing time you imagine. And I think you are right ... that is the most dynamic thing we can hope for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom