Akok Akok is special | The Boneyard

Akok Akok is special

Reaction Score
The largest factor by far with Akok is how long we'll have him for. His length with the program will be the single key to his legacy here. Even as a freshman, his key is not picking up the speed of the game -- it's understanding how much more impactful he can be on offense than he's currently being.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My concern, voiced in other threads, is this; He seems to start every game dominating both ends. But after 6 or 7 minutes of incredible play, he fades into the flow. He'll have a few (2 or 3) more highlight moments but is not consistently dominant. He still runs hard and blocks shots but doesn't dominate like at the beginning of a game. I have thoughts as to why this is, but will not digress at this point.

Reaction Score
My concern, voiced in other threads, is this; He seems to start every game dominating both ends. But after 6 or 7 minutes of incredible play, he fades into the flow. He'll have a few (2 or 3) more highlight moments but is not consistently dominant. He still runs hard and blocks shots but doesn't dominate like at the beginning of a game. I have thoughts as to why this is, but will not digress at this point.

As concerns go, that one ain't s bad. Like to have it for all 10 players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting,
Packer’s fudge and Dukie V’s ring.

To be; Oh not to be.
Adieu, Adieu, Ajou, Ajou.

Bonjour, bonjour,
Akok, Akok and Bouk;

We know what we are;
But know not what we may be.

Reaction Score
One subtle way I think Akok can affect the game is feeding JC in the low post from either the high post or the corner. Currently, Akok isn't necessarily getting touches in the half court but with his height and wing span, I think it is much easier for him to feed JC than the guards who have all struggled with the task. Akok can also rim run after the entry which will free up the space for JC or possibly give JC an easy pass back to Akok for a lay up or dunk.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He is a unique player and young man
My biggest hope is that he doesn't get lured into temptation and jump to the draft too early because he may be one of those stuck in the G League for an extended period when he could be more productive in college ball.
He still has to learn much on the offensive side and needs better man to man defensive skills.
The guy in uncanny as a shot blocker and is the best I've seen in ages - that in itself will garner him immediate looks but for him to be in the best position to earn that lofty status and money that a lottery pick demands - he has to work on the complete game.
I am so pleased he is in Storrs - he's a breath of fresh air

Reaction Score
My only critique of Akok is his inside / 2 point shooting. Which I think ultimately benefits us, because he'll have a year to work on it and it will likely be the one (or one of the) thing/s keeping him from being NBA bound this year.

He's such a joy to watch. My mother / wife absolutely adore him.

Reaction Score
My only critique of Akok is his inside / 2 point shooting. Which I think ultimately benefits us, because he'll have a year to work on it and it will likely be the one (or one of the) thing/s keeping him from being NBA bound this year.

This was definitely a concern early in the season, but I think he is improving already. The last three games he has shot 100% (IU) 50% (St Pete) and 80% (UNH) from two. Currently averaging 51% from two, which is good for fourth on the team behind Bouk, Adams, and Carlton.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I’ll take free throw improvement for five hundred Alex.

Akok could make a living at the foul line.

Reaction Score
How lucky are we? He seems to add something every game. He probably needs to be a bit more selfish or at least our guards need to realize that getting Akok more touches will impact the success of the team. It would not surprise me if he plays his way into a 1st round pick by seasons end

Reaction Score
How lucky are we? He seems to add something every game. He probably needs to be a bit more selfish or at least our guards need to realize that getting Akok more touches will impact the success of the team. It would not surprise me if he plays his way into a 1st round pick by seasons end

Let's hope they do a Cliff with him and they say he's second round material for this draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom