Akok’s Impact in Practice | The Boneyard

Akok’s Impact in Practice

Reaction Score
With the development of Carlton really taking shape and Sid/Polley taking a step forward yesterday, I’m curious to know how much of an impact Akok has had on the development of others. His defense has to be encouraging others to be more aggressive offensively and maybe he’s posting up against Carlton in practice, forcing Carlton to get creative down low.

Reaction Score
With the development of Carlton really taking shape and Sid/Polley taking a step forward yesterday, I’m curious to know how much of an impact Akok has had on the development of others. His defense has to be encouraging others to be more aggressive offensively and maybe he’s posting up against Carlton in practice, forcing Carlton to get creative down low.

Not much of an impact yet, or even this season. No one gets better in a few weeks. His work over a full off-season will be beneficial.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, I would normally say the impact would be minimal because practices are usually more about stretching, shooting drills, strategy, running plays, watching tape etc. But it seems like UConn is actually having real practices ( which is risky with Adams and Gilbert out) so I'm sure there is a nice impact.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, I would normally say the impact would be minimal because practices are usually more about stretching, shooting drills, strategy, running plays, watching tape etc. But it seems like UConn is actually having real practices ( which is risky with Adams and Gilbert out) so I'm sure there is a nice impact.

We have a depleted roster, I doubt we are going hard in practice.

Reaction Score
Any reports on Akok's skills and what has been happening? Anyone laid eyes on his game?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I’m sure it makes a difference when ur playing against Akok instead of Kwintin... sorry Kwintin.

Will the next time we see Kwintin be on March 7 ?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not much of an impact yet, or even this season. No one gets better in a few weeks

If they are practicing and it involves scrimmage type play - it can only help
Certain aspects of your game and your thought process most certainly does improve when playing against a
better player even after only a few sessions.
I used to invite college players to my practices in the summer for a few sessions and my kids picked up many positive things and carried them into the season. It works.
Not sure what nobody gets better in a few weeks mean - how do you judge "better". I've seen isolated occurrences where players improve almost overnight - something clicks and many times it's due to working with or on something different.

Reaction Score
Not much of an impact yet, or even this season. No one gets better in a few weeks

If they are practicing and it involves scrimmage type play - it can only help
Certain aspects of your game and your thought process most certainly does improve when playing against a
better player even after only a few sessions.
I used to invite college players to my practices in the summer for a few sessions and my kids picked up many positive things and carried them into the season. It works.
Not sure what nobody gets better in a few weeks mean - how do you judge "better". I've seen isolated occurrences where players improve almost overnight - something clicks and many times it's due to working with or on something different.

I should elaborate--obviously certain things will get better. but

1) Akok is not that great of a basketball player yet. He's not adding much to this team except a long presence inside to stop pentration and 3s. It's not like bringing college players to I assume is a HS practice. That's playing at a whole new level.

2) Having an athletic interior presence could help our guards make better decisions in the paint finishing. But that takes a longggg time to learn. I really doubt it has made a lasting impact so far.

3) I think Carlton may be getting better overall mentally because of Akok. He always had the ability to play tougher, he just didn't. He might have gotten in his head a little bit. It also could have been striking out on our center recruits. Carlton knows he HAS to be the guy next year and I'm sure coach has told him that.

To be fair, he's probably replacing Williams. And he's just awful. So maybe it is making a difference. haha

Reaction Score
I forgot about Jump. So we were down 4 scholarship players and still Diarra and Whaley got no burn. Must be rough for them.

Reaction Score
I forgot about Jump. So we were down 4 scholarship players and still Diarra and Whaley got no burn. Must be rough for them.

I take it as a clear message being sent by the coaches as the amount of hope they should have that at some point they contribute to the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom