AJax's NBA Reel from Last Night | The Boneyard

AJax's NBA Reel from Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AJax got a shout out last night from one of the most dedicated NBA draft writers:

I don't watch much NBA, but looking through recent drafts, a reasonable comparison is the Pelicans' Herbert Jones (35th pick of the '21 draft).

The 6'7 206 Jones is one of the better defenders in the NBA and has a sophomore stat-line that is Jackson-esque: 9.4p, 4.0r, 2.4a, 1.6s, 0.6b, 2.5 3PA at 29.3%. Plays close to 30 minutes per game for New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
AJax got a shout out last night from one of the most dedicated NBA draft writers:

I don't watch much NBA, but looking through recent drafts, a reasonable comparison is the Pelicans' Herbert Jones (35th pick of the '21 draft).

The 6'7 206 Jones is one of the better defenders in the NBA and has a sophomore stat-line that is Jackson-esque: 9.4p, 4.0r, 2.4a, 1.6s, 0.6b, 2.5 3PA at 29.3%. Plays close to 30 minutes per game for New Orleans.

While I still think (and hope) he's going to stick around for next year, we've seen dozens of players parlay their March Madness success into a heightened NBA stock and Andre Jackson is primed to be one of those players either this offseason or next.

I think many of us would tell him to come back, but at some point you have take advantage of the exposure. At the end of the day I don't think many NBA teams are swayed by tournament success, but I don't begrudge him going when the going gets good for him

Reaction Score
Andre went through a tough stretch. Probably bottomed out at Creighton. I felt for him that game. The kid is back. Wow is he back. GO ANDRE!!!
that game when Scheidermannan (sp lol) embarassed him by sagging off sooo much & we had no answer...agreed it was bottom of season, I felt for the kid....Hurley even mentioned in presser last night that it was his coaching error to take awhile to make strategic adjustment to use him better...sooo impressed by that comment....

since then it has been a more draymond green role, screen/distribute in half court with Hawk playing role of Curry...or other times moving him to baseline to take advantage of D forgetting him/doubling Adama (like vs Timme last night)so he can cut...just wish he would try a transition thunderdunk each game to keep D honest on his pass first mindset

ive been critical of Hurleys x and o at times, but it was his adjustment that got AJ and the team sailing again...kudos

Poe

Reaction Score
I don’t think his shot is broken either, his form is much better than it used to be. He needs more confidence in his shot, which will come as he continues to work on it.

He’s a very unique player with a sort of sixth sense on top of his overall athleticism and ability.

At the end of the first half it looked like he anticipated and intercepted the pass that appeared to be meant for Sanogo (but was not going to get to him), he sprinted towards it grabbed it and knew exactly where Alex was going to be. You just can’t teach that sort of instinct and skill.

Reaction Score
His form is incredibly broken and has barely changed since freshman year. It's a miracle he's pulled off 28% from deep, honestly.
Unfortunately his elbow tends to start 90 degrees from the hoop when he gathers, and he kind of sways it back into his body as he goes up. Nearly impossible to be consistent that way, but I think Jackson’s shooting woes are more confidence driven. There was a stretch last year where he was actually lighting it up, and if I remember correctly he was shooting pretty well going into the BET

Reaction Score
Unfortunately his elbow tends to start 90 degrees from the hoop when he gathers, and he kind of sways it back into his body as he goes up. Nearly impossible to be consistent that way, but I think Jackson’s shooting woes are more confidence driven. There was a stretch last year where he was actually lighting it up, and if I remember correctly he was shooting pretty well going into the BET

I think if Jackson can get comfortable enough with his broken form to shoot 33%, he is a low risk NBA prospect as long as he makes enough plays to grab national media attention

My biggest issue is that he grips the front of the ball. It means he cannot shoot accurately off a catch quickly. Because he has to twist and adjust his hands. You can see it in real time in games.

Set point is off as well. He ducks his head, and doesn't get his elbow high enough on a release.

It's just about as broken form-wise as you can get.

That being said, the worst shot looking shot in the world is still a good shot if it's repeatable and accurate. I think if Andre worked with an NBA shooting coach for a few years, he could be that 33% guy. He'l never have Jordan's form, but he could build something simple and repeatable.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue is that he grips the front of the ball. It means he cannot shoot accurately off a catch quickly. Because he has to twist and adjust his hands. You can see it in real time in games.

Set point is off as well. He ducks his head, and doesn't get his elbow high enough on a release.

It's just about as broken form-wise as you can get.

That being said, the worst shot looking shot in the world is still a good shot if it's repeatable and accurate. I think if Andre worked with an NBA shooting coach for a few years, he could be that 33% guy. He'l never have Jordan's form, but he could build something simple and repeatable.
If he can dish out assists like that at the next level he’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
His form is incredibly broken and has barely changed since freshman year. It's a miracle he's pulled off 28% from deep, honestly.
There you are 429. You must have stayed awake all night thinking about something to complain about. Still think Karaban never learned how to take a layup off one foot?

Reaction Score
It's because he's so open it's like warmups, and even people with poor form can shoot below average with no pressure and repetition.

Reaction Score
Any other year it would take advantage and go. NIL changes everything. Even Timme may come back or transfer because he can make more $ in college.

The kid loves UConn. We are so lucky to have his talent and story of his growth to inspire future athletes like him. Hope he can stay out of foul trouble next game. He's the key.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d love for him to come back and hone in on how he’s been used at the end of the year.

I think going into the season he thought of himself as a catch and shoot three point guy but he’s starting to see he’s more than that. Would love to see how he looks after an off-season knowing what role he’s officially playing that works.

He’s a NPOY candidate to go along with Clingan if he can become a three level scorer.

Reaction Score
What did he shoot from three last year..34% I think… he hurt his finger at the beginning of the year(it still it might be hurt..i saw him grabbing it during the game) I think he would have been fine this year if he didn’t hurt it and he will work on his shooting again in the off season and come back a good 3 point shooter

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Hurt his finger on backboard last night
I was watching his right hand during the whole post-game celebration. He did appear to be favoring it a little. Hope he is close to 100% for next Saturday. His ability to play with abandon is so important to what we do.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I was watching his right hand during the whole post-game celebration. He did appear to be favoring it a little. Hope he is close to 100% for next Saturday. His ability to play with abandon is so important to what we do.
He was messing with his finger the whole celebration. Hope we hear something today.

Reaction Score
It appeared that he whacked it on the rim going for a block. The announcers were saying he hit it on the backboard, but it looked more like the rim to me.

Reaction Score
I think many of us would tell him to come back, but at some point you have take advantage of the exposure. At the end of the day I don't think many NBA teams are swayed by tournament success, but I don't begrudge him going when the going gets good for him
He’s already said he’s here 2 more years. Covid year. He absolutely loves the college experience.

Reaction Score
I think he needs to be in the right system with the right coaches in the NBA. Shooting can be worked on. AJax has improved his handle, can run the point and can guard like crazy. If he went to the Spurs, I'd be elated. The Spurs are known to take guys like Bowen, Kwahi and now Jeremy Sochan and investing in them. Chip Enggelland had a lot to do with that and now turning Giddey into a much better shooter. There's absolutely a place for AJax in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom