A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've read from some posters that our chances are slim to get Wilson. Really? By no means do I think it a lock, or even 70% or 60% etc, I have no evidence to draw that from. But as I see it, we are set up perfectly for this tremendous talented player.

1-- UCONN still a beast with the core they have.
2--- The Coach and UCONN's style and ability to get players in the pros is still enormous.
2--- As a freshman, a player like Wilson won't get beat up/defense collapse all over her frosh year if she came to UCONN and for her career.
3--- The recruit/soon to be player one year ahead of her (Chong) and the current recruits in her year are highly touted guards. Mo Jeff will be there for 2 years by that time we have three guards and a sharpshooter wing all there to help support a frontcourt player whether ot be a 3/4 or 5.

These aren't projected to be just average or pretty good guards. A frontcourt player has an opportunity to grow with guards and a sharp shooter. Are you kidding me?

Anyhow, this team of the future is set up for a frontcourt scorer. The lane will be open. The coach is still a giant thus the style will be pro basketball style. A proven phenom system with terrific fan support.

4-- It's not like she doesn't know the players. She seems to have a very goo relationship with our 3 soon-to-be soph players. Not saying this better than some other schools. But it's not like she would be unsure.

And yet our chance is "slim" to get her?

I always wondered why a bigtime big player never came to UCONN once we got DT. In this case, if you are a 3/4/5 - and a great coach/great system along with terrific guards built for a frontcourt player, you would be scared off from the AAC when before this we've blown apart nearly every team in the league anyways?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I always wondered why a bigtime big player never came to UCONN once we got DT.

???? Ever hear of Tina Charles? And Stef only looks "smalltime" (and that's a major stretch) in comparison to to Tina.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
???? Ever hear of Tina Charles? And Stef only looks "smalltime" (and that's a major stretch) in comparison to to Tina.
I think he means while DT was still with the Huskies, so the big could benefit from DT's presence. Tina Charles was the #1 recruit her year, right? She was a very significant big, but DT was long gone by then. Stewart is kinda big as well!

Reaction Score
I've read from some posters that our chances are slim to get Wilson. Really? By no means do I think it a lock, or even 70% or 60% etc, I have no evidence to draw that from. But as I see it, we are set up perfectly for this tremendous talented player.

1-- UCONN still a beast with the core they have.
2--- The Coach and UCONN's style and ability to get players in the pros is still enormous.
2--- As a freshman, a player like Wilson won't get beat up/defense collapse all over her frosh year if she came to UCONN and for her career.
3--- The recruit/soon to be player one year ahead of her (Chong) and the current recruits in her year are highly touted guards. Mo Jeff will be there for 2 years by that time we have three guards and a sharpshooter wing all there to help support a frontcourt player whether ot be a 3/4 or 5.

These aren't projected to be just average or pretty good guards. A frontcourt player has an opportunity to grow with guards and a sharp shooter. Are you kidding me?

Anyhow, this team of the future is set up for a frontcourt scorer. The lane will be open. The coach is still a giant thus the style will be pro basketball style. A proven phenom system with terrific fan support.

4-- It's not like she doesn't know the players. She seems to have a very goo relationship with our 3 soon-to-be soph players. Not saying this better than some other schools. But it's not like she would be unsure.

And yet our chance is "slim" to get her?

I always wondered why a bigtime big player never came to UCONN once we got DT. In this case, if you are a 3/4/5 - and a great coach/great system along with terrific guards built for a frontcourt player, you would be scared off from the AAC when before this we've blown apart nearly every team in the league anyways?

I will add another recruiting feature to your excellent list.
5) UCONN is building a state of the art basketball practice facility that will be brand spanking new in 2014. UCONN basketball has come a LONG way from the old Field House, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't you want to play with Stewie, as Kelly said " I'm glad she's on our side. I wouldn't want to be playing against her. " If you want to be made to look ordinary, go some place else. In the next 3 years a lot of players are going to look ordinary, playing against Stewie. Ask Skylar Diggins what its like to try to stop Stewie, on a steal, and fastbreak, she didn't.

Reaction Score
These players have so many reasons for choosing the schools they do. I honestly thought that Calhoun was a lock for UCONN with the family and CTK connections.

I've quit trying to figure it out.
Not really, a lot of players have been the big cheese, their whole life, and are afraid of playing with someone better. Really great players look forward to playing with the best, so they can measure where they are, and what they need to get better at. That's why Stewie choose UConn to play with the best, and because she expects Geno to make her the best player she can be. You aren't going to see Stewie do a lot of dunking, that isn't her style, she is the silent assassin.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I understand hope and wishing. I also understand caution and not counting the chickens. I don't get pessimism and negative thinking.

Why did A'ja Wilson try out for Team USA and travel half way around the world to play basketball? Maybe she wanted to test her talent, push herself beyond previous level of play. Maybe she wanted to play w/ her role model Stewie and the best players in the country, representing the USA against the rest of the world. Maybe she wanted to stand on the podium, with a gold medal around her neck and feel the pure joy of being #1.

Why would Wilson come to UConn to play basketball? Maybe she wants a coach who can make her a better player than she can even dream of being. Maybe she wants to play (again) w/ her hero Stewie and the most talented roster in women's college basketball against the rest of the country. Maybe she wants to stand on the podium, with the National Championship trophy in her hands and feel the pure joy (again and again) of being #1.

If these things matter to A'ja Wilson, UConn has a good chance of bringing her to Storrs. Time will tell....Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Some here see the glass half full with A'ja, some see the glass half empty.
The engineers amongst us see a glass that is twice as large as it needs be.

Reaction Score
Fightin choke was right. I meant when DT played during her specific stint at UCONN.

I used that analogy because I thought it senseless for a post not to come during that time. With the current makeup of this UCONN team, a top flight 5 star 3/4/5 recruit would "share" until STewie left. Then we'd be living in her world. But before that- can you imagine the diamond-and-one traps with either her or Stewie out front? Or a 2/2/1 or a 1/3/1 trap halfcourt with the length UCONN would have?

You'd have them out on the wings with Stokes for example in the middle. You'd lead fastbreak with Stewie on one side and A'ja on the other. What about if they could dunk (that don't matter to me)? This would be the beginning of "Showtime" with Mo Jeff the lead pg. Would Sporstcenter be showing dunks or highlights of a 59-57 game? Probably both if the 59-57 is elite showdown. How about potential "Showtime" blowing apart elite teams? What if you give guys a chance to watch multiple dunks on sportscenter instead? Maybe her nor Stewie can do it one the run. Just a thought.

Like DT from way back I see this as an enormous opportunity for any big time 3/4/5. Of course I'm a bias fan- but this is a chance of a lifetime. The coach and UCONN have re-invigorated momentum from blowing apart everyone in the NCAA's to a juggernaut team for a few years. The first 5star super recruit is a virtual lock to be the focal point of a run-and-gun offense that has great guard support. The coach is brilliant. The team is set-up for "Showtime" back in the Laker days. I look at 2 maybe 3 years - can we get a super 5 star post recruit to balance the terrific/terrific guards we have? If we don't, I'll be just as confused as I was when no elite post came during the DT era after she was with UCONN. DT made Barb Turner a dangerous post. I see our guard play as making a super 5 star recruit 3/4/5 as insanely good and of course vice-versa.

Reaction Score
C'mon daddychoc. let's be real. If I were Geno would I really say that I was only brilliant?

Reaction Score
I'd like to offer a so far unmentioned reason for selecting UConn. The opportunity to perhaps be one of the last players to be associated with a legendary coach.

Geno just signed a 5 year contract extension. It's possible that he may choose to retire upon it's expiration. Would it not be a thrill and honor to be one of the last players to be coached by Geno? I'm certain there will be many events, documentaries, books, etc. memorializing Geno's career once he retires. His former players will play a big part in the celebration. Not only are UConn player the best, they associate with the best. Being a Geno alumna is something that will be a lifetime honor, never to be forgotten. Not something to be passed up lightly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd like to offer a so far unmentioned reason for selecting UConn. The opportunity to perhaps be one of the last players to be associated with a legendary coach.

Geno just signed a 5 year contract extension. It's possible that he may choose to retire upon it's expiration. Would it not be a thrill and honor to be one of the last players to be coached by Geno? I'm certain there will be many events, documentaries, books, etc. memorializing Geno's career once he retires. His former players will play a big part in the celebration. Not only are UConn player the best, they associate with the best. Being a Geno alumna is something that will be a lifetime honor, never to be forgotten. Not something to be passed up lightly.

Excellent point. And it is underscored by a number of other coaches (USA etc.) who have said when a Geno coached player comes their way they know they are getting the whole package. That said, I don't know if this kind of factor resonates for 18 year old kids.

Reaction Score
There are exceptions to every rule but we've had fewer exceptional interior players than just about any other top ten team in the past ten years. Tina Charles was a major, major exception and Stef just developed unbelievably, more than anyone could have possibly imagined. I doubt Geno ever expected her to develop to the extent that she did. He knew he could help her become a good,solid performer but for her to become almost a consensus All-American? I seriously doubt it. We have struggled getting talented girls, 6'3" or better over these past ten years and I can't seen anyone arguing the point. There is no rhyme nor reason for it but that seems to have been the case. Maybe in Tina's sophomore or junior year, her evolution might have kept a big girl talent from coming for playing time reasons but before and afterwards, why??????

Reaction Score
buzzboy- not arguing. Just to add some add'l comments. Once we got Tina (and we were highly favored to get her), she does kill other posts for several years. We were going to get EDD - but then she backed out. but wasn't really a post but would scare away posts along with Maya - they won't see ball as often. Once EDD gave her commit to us, and we were among the favs to get her prior, the only top level post that would come would be one that can pass. IMO there aren't many rue posts that can do. Durign that time, Geno got a transfer commit - not from a super player but someone he felt could fit. Then she left.

Then it takes a year to regroup because you aren't going hard after others. I have to say for Stef I believed could be this good. Here is why. She was the number 1 center in her class. The recruiting services take more into account of athleticsim and speed . Stef was a good passer and shooter and had good low post moves. You give Geno the top rated position player with those solid fandamentals, he'll turn that player into something special a lot. Many others could too. But Stef fits extremely well with how Geno wants to use the center. I'm surpisred she was as good as a jr. But not surprised she is among tops - especially in Geno's use of her leading into her sr year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not really, a lot of players have been the big cheese, their whole life, and are afraid of playing with someone better. Really great players look forward to playing with the best, so they can measure where they are, and what they need to get better at. That's why Stewie choose UConn to play with the best, and because she expects Geno to make her the best player she can be. You aren't going to see Stewie do a lot of dunking, that isn't her style, she is the silent assassin.

So you are saying that any tim a top player doesn't choose UCONN it is because she is afraid to play with players better than she is? Come now! That is silly. Diamond put much more pressure on herself by going to a program that she wants to turn around. She could have gone to UCONN and known that if she worked hard that she would play and win a national championship.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I still have yet to see Stewart demonstrate her ability to dunk. Maybe she can but I haven't seen it yet.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

What, you didn't like my link? Or were you trying to help the technically inept slob that I am who can't figure out how to post the video as you did?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And to clarify, I'm talking about dribbling the ball to the basket and dunking, not having the floor cleared and someone tossing the ball right in front of the rim for you. I'm talking about taking the ball to the hole and dunking, like Parker, Big Syl, BG, Cambage and Snow.

sTu

Reaction Score
DD, I posted the same link that you did and when I hit enter your post magically appeared with the same link. I was just trying to remove my own seemingly redundant post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom