Aja Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aja Wilson

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Could Wilson leave to play overseas? I dont know if there is an age requirement. Prince left Rutgers early, but i dont recall her age then.

Is it just me.. or does it seem like people here REALLY want A'ja Wilson to leave South Carolina?

LOL.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well I don't know about the "Lock" just yet. Certainly she has the talent and is on a trajectory to be an elite pro player. However there are a few years yet before that 2020 team is assembled. Lots can happen in 3 years. She is a talent for sure.
Not really, isn't there World games and other stuff leading up to the Olympics... qualifying tournaments

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe a more interesting and less "downhill" question about A'ja is whether (now that Dawn Staley is the 2020 US Olympic coach) A'ja is a near-lock to make the 2020 Olympic team. Personally I think that is the case, and moreover, I think it is well deserved based on her current credentials and likely development by 2020.
4 very good reason why A'ja will not make the 2020 US Olympic team regardless who is the coach .
Elena Delle Donne
Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike
Tina Charles

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
4 very good reason why A'ja will not make the 2020 US Olympic team regardless who is the coach .
Elena Delle Donne
Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike
Tina Charles
They always seem to pick one younger player (Maya in 2012, Stewie in 2016) who may not be totally competitive with the veterans but who is "seed corn" for the next Olympic cycle. None of those that you mentioned fit into that category in 2020. Who will the "young player" in 2020 be, especially in a front court position?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They always seem to pick one younger player (Maya in 2012, Stewie in 2016) who may not be totally competitive with the veterans but who is "seed corn" for the next Olympic cycle. None of those that you mentioned fit into that category in 2020. Who will the "young player" in 2020 be, especially in a front court position?
My guess is there will not be "a younger front court player" on that team. The need for the 2020 team will be in the backcourt especially if Sue and DT decide not to return. A'ja is a good player but unless she absolutely blows up in her first two WNBA seasons I don't even see her being invited to tryout.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The need for the 2020 team will be in the backcourt especially if Sue and DT decide not to return.

Are either of them expected to compete in another Olympics? Still 3 years away and both are winding down their careers. Whalen absolutely needs to be replaced in 2020. Catchings obviously won't be there, don't really expect Augustus to make the next team, maybe not McCoughtry either. Will probably be a lot of fresh blood next time. I really thought they should've left Whalen off the team in 2016 and brought in one younger guard to get her feet wet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are either of them expected to compete in another Olympics? Still 3 years away and both are winding down their careers. Whalen absolutely needs to be replaced in 2020. Catchings obviously won't be there, don't really expect Augustus to make the next team, maybe not McCoughtry either. Will probably be a lot of fresh blood next time. I really thought they should've left Whalen off the team in 2016 and brought in one younger guard to get her feet wet.
I believe it will be Sue's and Diana's choice as is was for Catch. Regarding Whalen & McCoughtry & Augustus don't see enough talent in G/W/SF position to make whole sale changes like replacing them all in one olympics.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's gonna be a whole generation of players that never got a chance to play in the Olympics at this rate. Whalen doesn't have much left in the tank now, you really think she deserves a spot on the Olympic team 3 years from now? Sims, Diggins, Vandersloot, Jefferson, somebody currently playing in college, there HAS to be a better option. Augustus is definitely on the downhill side of her career too. The Lynx still had a really good season but you can see they are about to start fading. Their roster is getting old. Some of those players are probably going to be retired by 2020. Pull 'em off the shelf for the Olympics? If wholesale changes aren't made in '20, they certainly will be in '24. At some point you gotta start turning over the roster. Why not at least get a start on it the next time around?

Also, it's the players' choice? Isn't there a committee that chooses the team? I don't think handing out roster spots as a deference to being part of the National Team previously is a good idea. If someone is still the best option, great. If they aren't, so be it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's gonna be a whole generation of players that never got a chance to play in the Olympics at this rate. Whalen doesn't have much left in the tank now, you really think she deserves a spot on the Olympic team 3 years from now? Why not at least get a start on it the next time around?
Also, it's the players' choice? Isn't there a committee that chooses the team? I don't think handing out roster spots as a deference to being part of the National Team previously is a good idea. If someone is still the best option, great. If they aren't, so be it.
My Daughter and I went to watch the US Olympic team play at the University of Delaware along with Canada ( Kia) we both walked away saying out loud that Whalen did not below on the team. We were both wrong because Whalen played well in future exhibitions and the Olympics itself. I'm all for youth movement but I'm also a greedy American who thinks since we invented the game we should dominate. As Long as we win I'm OK. Certain players have earned the right to decide if they want to move forward with future Olympics, Sue & Diana are certainly of that ilk. Let's face it DT is not going to be "trying out" for the next Olympic team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, 3 years is a long time. We'll see what happens w/ younger players developing more and some veterans probably going downhill. I still think '20 should be somewhat of a transition year so they don't end up w/ a majority of the team being first timers in '24--unless you think this core group will still be competing in the Olympics in their 40's.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
At some point you have to start allowing the younger generation to get opportunities. This may be blasphemous to say on The Boneyard, but as much respect as I have for people like Taurasi, Bird, Whalen and anybody else that's going to be in their late 30's by the time 2020 rolls around at some point you have to politely step aside. Yeah, sure.. they've earned the right to stay as long as needed but does that really favor the WMNT if we don't cultivate the younger talent that's itching to get their opportunities with this team. What happens in 2024 when all of these veterans suddenly depart and we have an entire team of Olympic first timers.. not good.

Reaction Score
That was sarcasm...;)
We need a new emoji. There is no sarcasm so obvious that it won't be missed.:rolleyes:
Perhaps this will work:

sticker,375x360.png

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
At some point you have to start allowing the younger generation to get opportunities. This may be blasphemous to say on The Boneyard, but as much respect as I have for people like Taurasi, Bird, Whalen and anybody else that's going to be in their late 30's by the time 2020 rolls around at some point you have to politely step aside. Yeah, sure.. they've earned the right to stay as long as needed but does that really favor the WMNT if we don't cultivate the younger talent that's itching to get their opportunities with this team. What happens in 2024 when all of these veterans suddenly depart and we have an entire team of Olympic first timers.. not good.

If some fresh blood doesn't get a shot in 2020, might we see more players taking the Becky Hammon route? If you've always dreamed of competing in the Olympics and you keep getting shut out competing for your own country...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If some fresh blood doesn't get a shot in 2020, might we see more players taking the Becky Hammon route? If you've always dreamed of competing in the Olympics and you keep getting shut out competing for your own country...

I think this is possible as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom