A'ja Wilson Surprised Herself at U-19s | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson Surprised Herself at U-19s

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I've never heard it put quite the way you did, dd, so that particular goal may be more reasonable than the more frequently encountered fantasy of "I want to help Punxsutawney U win their first national championship."

Does that ever happen?

I suspect that some variation of that pitch was used successfully to lure Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Nykesha Sales, and Jamelle Elliott to a cold and obscure New England college during a certain now-distant historical period.

Reaction Score
"I don't know of any player worth a scholarship that doesn't want to play immediately, but UCONN might not be the easiest place to break into the lineup. On the upside, Geno will certainly play anyone that earns time regardless of their.[/quote]

Lets see. Tausari did not start right away, Nor did Faris, Stewart was not a consistent starter....

Didn't KML and Moore also come off the bench?

I am sure I could keep going on and on. Few start immediately.

Reaction Score
I suspect that some variation of that pitch was used successfully to lure Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Nykesha Sales, and Jamelle Elliott to a cold and obscure New England college during a certain now-distant historical period.

Of course, but the only one out of that pack who had to travel over 200 miles was Jamelle Elliott.

I wasn't speaking about the pitch never happening (What else do you say when you can't point to past success?), but rather does any team actually win one after not having won an NC before. Just 4 in the last 19 years, I reckon - Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland and Texas A&M, and only Baylor managed to repeat the experience.

Reaction Score
Since the DD soap opera I've basically fallen into the John A. camp: When they commit I'll get excited. Trying to predict what these young girls are going to do is like trying to pick winning lottery numbers.

Yes, I remember taking a real beating here for predicting early that DD would not come to UCONN one year after predicting the same for the x-girl.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Having Wilson along side of Stewart well that will make them both better. Having Wilson along side of somebody not like Stewart well that's a chance I wouldn't take. Play with the best, for the best, to get the best results for yourself and you never have to worry about whats coming next.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
"I don't know of any player worth a scholarship that doesn't want to play immediately, but UCONN might not be the easiest place to break into the lineup. On the upside, Geno will certainly play anyone that earns time regardless of their.

Lets see. Tausari did not start right away, Nor did Faris, Stewart was not a consistent starter....

I am sure I could keep going on and on. Few start immediately.[/quote]
Absolutely correct - we seam to get the type of young women that are willing to reach deep down and go the extra mile- she played USA Basketball,and supposedly is a really nice young woman. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Since the DD soap opera I've basically fallen into the John A. camp: When they commit I'll get excited. Trying to predict what these young girls are going to do is like trying to pick winning lottery numbers.

That is exactly the way I feel....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I am sure I could keep going on and on. Few start immediately.
Absolutely correct - we seam to get the type of young women that are willing to reach deep down and go the extra mile- she played USA Basketball,and supposedly is a really nice young woman. We shall see.[/quote]
Solid!
As I see it:
1. You can go to a really good team with a really good coach and accept the fact that you may not start every game of your college career, but if you are good enough you will start a lot of games and you will get significant minutes in most of the ones you don't start, and you will have a lot of success personally and as a team.
2. You can go to a mediocre program and be guaranteed to start ever game and lose a lot of them. You may have great stats except in the team results and the team awards won.
3. You can go to a really good team with a dishonest coach who will promise you specific minutes or a starting role. Good luck with that choice.

Now there are a lot of other factors that go into college choice including location, rapport with the staff, friends, etc. but if the decision revolves purely around playing time and starts ...
You can be a selfish player not really concerned about the team in a team sport, a gullible player willing to ignore the fact that option three and good coaching are diametrically opposed, or you can make a wise choice (Opt 1.)
Hows that for brutal honesty! :cool:
(And I do not discount a lot of parents in the decisions outlined above. All you have to do is watch a little sideline behavior in organized kids leagues to understand that parents may be a bigger factor in the choice than the kids.)
Option one also may lead to days like today, where you get to meet the president!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom