A'ja Wilson news (for, not about) | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson news (for, not about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Wilson watches this, she's a Husky.

Tonight we had a chance to watch the tape of the 2004 Nat Champ game vs. Tennessee, which was Taurasi's final collegiate game and win.

Lemme tell you something, Philly style: I don't care if a part of Wilson hopes to be Miss South Carolina (by the way, I dated one a half-century ago, so I do have a frame of reference on such matters :) ) and represent her state like Gussert in MI......or if part of her hopes to be the first woman Pope (like "The Pouter" who never won an NC at ND ).....or if part of her is tempted to breath some life into the likes of The Heels or the Dukies like some have hoped to do.....or if part of her wants to stay close to home like the Kentucky kid at L'ville that we crunched in the NC victory this year....or if part of her wants to go elsewhere for WHATEVER laudable reason like , well I don't ever say HER name......or if part of her can't stand the heat of going up against the best of the best, such as Tuck and Stewart, every day in practice............if Wilson watches the tape of that 2004 game (or dozens of other UCONN games for that matter) , listens to the announcers, listens to the coach, listens to the crowd, and watches "Our Girls" as they play and win and celebrate and join the men as the first University to ever win the basketball National Championships for both women and men in the same year.....she will surely decide to come to of Storrs, CT, and be a huge part in this small town of continuing and preserving a dynasty that is on the verge of becoming historic and legendary. If you've got the ability and got a PULSE, you'd want to be here after watching this tape. Much as I love Carolina BBQ, I'll put up three Philly Cheesesteaks to one pulled pork on that assertion. Any takers? Now, if one of you high tech folks can just send her that tape.....

JS

Reaction Score
Now, if one of you high tech folks can just send her that tape.....
"I endorse your idea, winlots. Boosters sending things
to recruits is a good way to keep them informed,
despite what that fuddy-duddy NCAA thinks.
Just deny you did it, and you'll be fine."*
bruce+pearl.JPG

*Bruce Pearl, Tennessee basketball coach who knew something about NCAA​
("Teaching Life Skills" Dep't: Not content with lying to investigators,​
he suggested to recruits and their families that they lie too.)​

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Absolutely. No one even think about sending her the tape. I bet she is resourceful enough to track it down herself, or with some help from someone who isn't a booster.

Reaction Score
First off and for the record, I am not a "booster" and have never been one and have no plan of becoming one. I am a fan, and no one is taking that away , including the NCAA.

And I can't imagine any booster sending ANYthing to any recruit these days. The post was about the great feelings we got watching that tape, the tremendous enthusiasm for the UCONN program, and wanting to share that, Philly-style, with the Yarders.

(The fact that I have little respect for the bloated NCAA and for the generally sorry state of collegiate "big time" money-generating sports they oversee and for this whole phoney "student-athlete" business is a whole other story. The NCAA has the authority it has, and they have rules that are rather well promulgated, often discussed on this board, and that it is what it is.)

My closing sentence in the post was certainly no "action plan"....it was intended as part of the fun intended in the entire piece....I didn't think it needed a "winking" face to make that clear. And I really can't even imagine ANY tape making any kid's college choice for them, with all the many well known factors which can go into such a serious decision, again as thoughtfully discussed and articulated by many on he Boneyard in many posts over the years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
First off and for the record, I am not a "booster" and have never been one and have no plan of becoming one. I am a fan, and no one is taking that away , including the NCAA.

I suspect the NCAA might well want to label every regular participant of the Boneyard as a booster just like they do season ticket holders and some other categories. Given the way the NCAA operates our desire to self identify however we want is the least of their concerns. I mean they are busy trying to snuff out limericks on poster board and marker signs just so a recruit doesn't learn bad poetry.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm a booster, you're a booster, he's a booster, she's a booster, wouldn't you like to be a booster too!?!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

You might be surprised how broadly the term is defined. I have not looked recently, but when I did, I think I recall concluding that just about anyone who contributes here is on the list.

And I can't imagine any booster sending ANYthing to any recruit these days.

It happens

The post was about the great feelings we got watching that tape, the tremendous enthusiasm for the UCONN program, and wanting to share that, Philly-style, with the Yarders.

(The fact that I have little respect for the bloated NCAA and for the generally sorry state of collegiate "big time" money-generating sports they oversee and for this whole phoney "student-athlete" business is a whole other story. The NCAA has the authority it has, and they have rules that are rather well promulgated, often discussed on this board, and that it is what it is.)

My closing sentence in the post was certainly no "action plan"....it was intended as part of the fun intended in the entire piece....I didn't think it needed a "winking" face to make that clear.

You underestimate the lack of humor on the part of the NCAA

And I really can't even imagine ANY tape making any kid's college choice for them, with all the many well known factors which can go into such a serious decision, again as thoughtfully discussed and articulated by many on he Boneyard in many posts over the years.

Nobody, not even the NCAA thinks that such a act would be the sole consideration. However, the NCAA doesn't want to take any chances, so is quite unforgiving about what is allowed. You were kidding, but they may be concerned that some reader takes it seriously

Sorry, I know you were trying to make a point, and this is detracting from it, but it helps to make clear that this is a thought experiment, not an action plan.

Reaction Score
PHIL - all very well said...and very well taken here. Thank you for taking the time for your thoughtful observations.

ICE: I sure do hear you on the limericks and the bad poetry....got a kick out of that.

Others: had always thought a Booster was someone who contributed money to a program? Not so? If not so, was that the case in days gone by?

JS

Reaction Score
Others: had always thought a Booster was someone who contributed money to a program? Not so? If not so, was that the case in days gone by?
Winlots -

Here's a little NCAA dissertation on boosterhood. Note the circularity. The "definition" has been defiantly vague for as long as I can remember.

Basically, if you do it (anything that assists the school in recruiting, or promotes the school's athletic interests, etc.), then you did it as a booster.

In other words, not just any contributor but any sort of identifiable fan or member of a group of fans of a particular school's teams who arguably engages in recruiting activity is putting the school in a position in which "he's not a booster" is a practically useless defense against an asserted violation.

"We're not in a position to exercise institutional control" might be a better defense, but once the issue has been identified the institution had better be able, if it occurs again, to show what if anything it did or reasonably considered doing to establish institutional control.

That's why we always preach caution, and not just because posts on this board were once incorporated en masse in an NCAA complaint.

You've identified your thought as lighthearted, and you may have noticed that my response to you was meant as a bit of (pointed) ironic humor in return.

But it was also intended to remind people of something important that can scarcely be emphasized enough: stay the heck away from any communication with recruits or their families (unless you happen to be a personal friend).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Winlots, and thus you now understand why I am in constant disguise as icebear. Think of how hard it will be for them to find me while I am busy helping Geno recruit the best talent in America.

Reaction Score
Winlots -

Here's a little NCAA dissertation on boosterhood. Note the circularity. The "definition" has been defiantly vague for as long as I can remember.

Basically, if you do it (anything that assists the school in recruiting, or promotes the school's athletic interests, etc.), then you did it as a booster.

In other words, not just any contributor but any sort of identifiable fan or member of a group of fans of a particular school's teams who arguably engages in recruiting activity is putting the school in a position in which "he's not a booster" is a practically useless defense against an asserted violation.

"We're not in a position to exercise institutional control" might be a better defense, but once the issue has been identified the institution had better be able, if it occurs again, to show what if anything it did or reasonably considered doing to establish institutional control.

That's why we always preach caution, and not just because posts on this board were once incorporated en masse in an NCAA complaint.

You've identified your thought as lighthearted, and you may have noticed that my response to you was meant as a bit of (point

But it was also intended to remind people of something important that can scarcely be emphasized enough: stay the heck away from any communication with recruits or their families (unless you happen to be a personal friend).

JS: My respect for you in your role and my appreciation for the manner in which you carry out your duties remains completely in tact. And yes, I did see the ironic humor in your post from the get-go. Actually, I see humor in lots of things despite my penchant for critiquing, which I think comes from my pursuit of excellence.

Thank you for taking the time to send along this additional attempt to do the impossible: namely, to straighten out the NCAA's typical "circularity," and clarify their probably deliberate (and self-serving) vagueness.

I'm more than delighted to announce right now that "I don't believe I'm in a position to exercise institutional control." At this age, I'm delighted to still exercise control over
my own bladder......and equally pleased to remain not-institutionalized. Stay well.

Reaction Score
Winlots, and thus you now understand why I am in constant disguise as icebear. Think of how hard it will be for them to find me while I am busy helping Geno recruit the best talent in America.

ICE: an even better chuckle from that one. And, ahhhh, mystery solved....thank you. Stay busy; you are doing a great job in your clandestine endeavors; and/though I feel you are in no position whatsoever to exercise institutional control.

In closing, and let me be perfectly clear in saying this that I am addressing no particular institution but rather the world as a whole: Boost this. ;) (There it is, if anyone needed it.)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
one has to be cautious...this could very well be added to the 37 pages of BY posts from the previous incident :eek:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
JS: My respect for you in your role and my appreciation for the manner in which you carry out your duties remains completely in tact. And yes, I did see the ironic humor in your post from the get-go. Actually, I see humor in lots of things despite my penchant for critiquing, which I think comes from my pursuit of excellence.

Thank you for taking the time to send along this additional attempt to do the impossible: namely, to straighten out the NCAA's typical "circularity," and clarify their probably deliberate (and self-serving) vagueness.

I'm more than delighted to announce right now that "I don't believe I'm in a position to exercise institutional control." At this age, I'm delighted to still exercise control over
my own bladder......and equally pleased to remain not-institutionalized. Stay well.
"our girls"... make you a booster lol (joking... but seriously)

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Winlots -

Wow.

"• Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics."

That spectacular vagularity could be read as saying that telling a friend "You really ought to see a UConn basketball game." would make me a booster.

Thanks for the link, JS. I knew the rules were ridiculous, but not the breathtaking extent of their ridiculousness.

Reaction Score
I have a subscription to the Summitt. Would the NCAA consider it a violation against the Tenn program if I sent a letter to a tenn recruit asking them to come to Knoxville and included an LV bumper sticker? It can't be that easy to do?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, Alydar it m ay well be that easy to create a complaint. Outcomes hopefully are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom