AJ vs Coppin State - Interesting Stats | The Boneyard

AJ vs Coppin State - Interesting Stats

Reaction Score
No opinion here. Just the stats.

Against Coppin State, AJ played 20:45 minutes. While he was on the floor, UConn outscored Coppin 36-30. In the 19:45 he was not on the floor, UConn outscored Coppin 53-24.

AJ started the game and went the first 3:37 minutes. When he left, Coppin led 10-6. Without AJ, UConn immediately went on a 14-0 run.

AJ started the second half and went the first 3:14 minutes. UConn outscored Coppin by one point. When he left, UConn immediately went on a 14-2 run.

AJ played 5.29 consecutive minutes to end the first half and begin the second half. In that time, the UConn 45-26 lead went to 50-31, a 5-5 tie.

(Offered for interpretation by wiser heads.)

Reaction Score
Here's my interpretation. You are a hater and should be banned.

Kidding. Good data. Tough to say if it means much. Maybe the opposing starter left the floor as well. And Coppin State really stinks without their starter.... maybe RJ just had a bad day. just a couple thoughts.

I would want to see similar data for multiple games to make a decision based on this data.

Reaction Score
He had a terrible game, but I don't know what insights can be gained by breaking down his +/- in detail.

Reaction Score
What was Whaley's +/-? Probably about the same as AJ's because Akok and Gaffney both had excellent games. The luxury of having a team that goes 9 or 10 deep is that you can ride the hot hand whether it's a starter or a guy off the bench, and it won't diminish elsewhere.

Both of those guys are so hesitant to shoot the ball right now so it makes sense that when they get subbed out for guys who are looking to score, our offense will put up better numbers.

Reaction Score

Kidding. Good data. Tough to say if it means much. Maybe the opposing starter left the floor as well. And Coppin State really stinks without their starter.... maybe RJ just had a bad day. just a couple thoughts.

I would want to see similar data for multiple games to make a decision based on this data.
Talking about Andre here, not RJ.

Reaction Score

Your point that maybe there is a bigger diff between our second unit and Coppin seems legit. Seems like a meaningless stat for 1 game

Reaction Score

Against Coppin State, AJ played 20:45 minutes. While he was on the floor, UConn outscored Coppin 36-30. In the 19:45 he was not on the floor, UConn outscored Coppin 53-24.

AJ started the game and went the first 3:37 minutes. When he left, Coppin led 10-6. Without AJ, UConn immediately went on a 14-0 run.

AJ started the second half and went the first 3:14 minutes. UConn outscored Coppin by one point. When he left, UConn immediately went on a 14-2 run.

AJ played 5.29 consecutive minutes to end the first half and begin the second half. In that time, the UConn 45-26 lead went to 50-31, a 5-5 tie.

He had a terrible game outside of his rebounding. When someone who is having a terrible game plays 20 minutes, his +/- is gonna be bad usually.

Andre is a weird case. He has super high highs and really low lows. His turnovers have been cringeworthy, and kind of embarrassing sometimes. Whatever that floater he attempted the other night made me wonder how the heck this kid was ranked in the top 100. He can't shoot, and his IQ is questionable. But when he's playing well, even without the shooting, he impacts the game in SO many ways. He makes plays that no one else could dream of with the ball in their hands. He's so athletic, so fast, and so dynamic on the court.

He's kind of the opposite of Gaff in that regard. He plays too fast for his own good, takes too many risks at times. Gaff has played so timid our offense bogs down and while there may be no TO per se, the late shot is as good as a TO in many cases.

Gaff seems to be learning the balance between risk and reward in his game. Andre is going to need to do the same thing.

If he plays this bad versus Auburn, he might lose us the game in the first 5 minutes. But he could also win it too. The kid's a conundrum... he's still practically a freshman with how weird last year was. He needs time and game reps.

Reaction Score
He had a terrible game, but I don't know what insights can be gained by breaking down his +/- in detail.
Zero insights. In fact, you're more likely to lead yourself astray by looking at this type of data too granularly. Even a full game qualifies as waaaay too small a sample. One 4 minute stretch is nonsense. Talking about individual plays is fine, but extracting any data out is unadvisable.

Andre didn't have a good day outside of rebounding. Couple loose balls bounced off his fingers. Defense was fine, but they didn't have anyone we needed to lock down. He had a much better game in the first game and he'll have better games as we go.

Reaction Score
Your point that maybe there is a bigger diff between our second unit and Coppin seems legit. Seems like a meaningless stat for 1 game
That's a simpler/better way to word it. We were likely playing against Coppin State reserves during the stretch in question

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What was Whaley's +/-? Probably about the same as AJ's because Akok and Gaffney both had excellent games. The luxury of having a team that goes 9 or 10 deep is that you can ride the hot hand whether it's a starter or a guy off the bench, and it won't diminish elsewhere.

Both of those guys are so hesitant to shoot the ball right now so it makes sense that when they get subbed out for guys who are looking to score, our offense will put up better numbers.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Throughout the season Gaff is going to be first guard off the bench and Akok first big off the bench. Akok, whether subbing in for Whaley or Sanogo is a better shooter than either one of them and he's a better overall scorer than Whaley is at the four spot.

Gaff is a much better shooter than Jackson.

Prop bets right now.

Who ends up with higher ppg at end of season? Jackson or Gaff
Who end up with higher ppg? Akok or Whaley

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Zero insights. In fact, you're more likely to lead yourself astray by looking at this type of data too granularly. Even a full game qualifies as waaaay too small a sample. One 4 minute stretch is nonsense. Talking about individual plays is fine, but extracting any data out is unadvisable.

Andre didn't have a good day outside of rebounding. Couple loose balls bounced off his fingers. Defense was fine, but they didn't have anyone we needed to lock down. He had a much better game in the first game and he'll have better games as we go.

Andre had a very good rebounding game and he is really good overall at getting defensive rebounds off long misses. But I think he padded his stats a bit against Coppin in the last 6-8 minutes when the game was firmly in UConn's control.

I have no problem thinking if Jackson gets 20 mpg, he's averaging between 4-5 rpg which are really good numbers for a wing playing half a game.

Reaction Score

My understanding from those who study analytics is that they don't believe that plus/minus stats mean anything. To a casual fan like me, over enough games I feel like they should have meaning, although I understand that analytic geeks know this better than I do and are probably right.

Over one game, however, it means nothing beyond that we did better when he was off the court that game than when he was on it. It does not mean that he didn't play well.

Reaction Score
My understanding from those who study analytics is that they don't believe that plus/minus stats mean anything. To a casual fan like me, over enough games I feel like they should have meaning, although I understand that analytic geeks know this better than I do and are probably right.

Over one game, however, it means nothing beyond that we did better when he was off the court that game than when he was on it. It does not mean that he didn't play well.

It probably means more in college after some # of games than the NBA. NBA teams have very specific rotations, and someone might play a lot of minuts vs another teams benchwarmers at the end of the 3rd-quarter, for example. I'd imagine in college where it's more matchup and foul trouble based, it might have more merit. Still probably not much though. No idea the truth of this one... just a thought.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I have no problem thinking if Jackson gets 20 mpg, he's averaging between 4-5 rpg which are really good numbers for a wing playing half a game.

If he gets 20 MPG, I think he can average 7/5/3.

Reaction Score
Generally, +/- is good for seeing if there is a "ball stopper" out there, someone that really kills the offense. That's usually someone that pounds the rock and doesn't pass enough or instinctively. That doesn't describe Andre, so I think its an aberration.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Throughout the season Gaff is going to be first guard off the bench and Akok first big off the bench. Akok, whether subbing in for Whaley or Sanogo is a better shooter than either one of them and he's a better overall scorer than Whaley is at the four spot.

Gaff is a much better shooter than Jackson.

Prop bets right now.

All 4 bring different aspects to the game - if UConn is facing a bigger and thicker 4 then Whalley gets the majority of PT. If the team UConn faces has guards over 6'3", AJ gets the minutes.
Whaley will get his points as the season progresses and he will outscore Akok as he is much more durable
Gaff will spell RJ on most games but there will be games where DH hopefully realizes he needs 2 ballhandlers and Gaff wil get a lot of run on those games - probably more prevelent in the NBE.
All is good

Reaction Score

If it's just stats and no opinions then there's nothing to talk about. :)

Reaction Score
If the team's +/- is significantly better than a particular player's it has to mean something. Especially if the player gets meaningful playing time with a good portion with the 1st team.
If you had Sid Wilson instead of AJ play the 1st 2 games like this the boneyard would be "why is UConn starting this guy and playing him so much".
I spent some time specifically watching AJ during some offensive and defensive sets and do not see the great passing, ball handling or defense a lot of other people see. Against tough competition he will need to play much better.

Reaction Score
Interesting stats. Seems to me that he is going to have a hard time staying on the floor. Gaff played much better. Hitting 3s. Ball security. Extending the floor. If Hawk is as advertised then another person to go to for shots.

AJ won't be of the floor if we're behind. What he is good at is passing and pushing the ball. Not quite there yet for me to say he is a lock down defender. Problem for him is when he is pushing the ball there isn't a slasher type wing or 2 on the floor with him to distribute to. Cole will spot up and so will Polley. AJ needs to run the point with Hawk and Gaff on the wings. Get more burn with the second team. The first team needs a different skill set.

Reaction Score
In such a small sample size I don’t think +/- is particularly meaningful other than providing some context. In this case I don't think it's a coincidence that the big negative periods of play for him coincided with the times when an exhausted Coppin State team had the most rest (beginning of the game and right after halftime)

Reaction Score
are you giving odds on these? otherwise it's gaff and akok and i'll take my money now lol

Reaction Score
Andre is a work in progress. I'm not as down on him as XLCF but I also didn't think he showed much bb skill last year. It's like he hadn't been coached at all and succeeded in hs on athletic ability alone. Seems like a 4 year player similar to Gaffney. There were times during Jalen's first 2 years where he did not look like a high D1 caliber player. He looks like a totally different player so far this season.
Now on to Whaley. He did not score or rebound much but his defense especially help d was outstanding as was his ability to get the ball in to Adamo in good scoring position. Whether IW continues to start or not he will see big minutes and he will be a positive on the floor
Too much complaining here especially in blow out wins. Good news, we are only 2 games in. We can get better

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm confused. Was this thread about you somehow?

But I don't disagree that the Boneyard vastly overrates him at the moment.
Merely seconding OP's thoughts. And mentioning that I'm shocked there's no one clamoring for his throat the way they do when I mention something similar.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Merely seconding OP's thoughts. And mentioning that I'm shocked there's no one clamoring for his throat the way they do when I mention something similar.
The OP brought some stats and said what does this mean? Not, “man he sucks.” For the record in the chat last year I said he has no skills, and got shouted down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom