OT: - Air conditioning in apartment rental | The Boneyard

OT: Air conditioning in apartment rental

Reaction Score
Looking for rough ballpark estimate for total cost of putting in air conditioning in apartment units. We actually have two apartments on 2nd floor in same building, one is 1BR about 600 sq. ft, across the hall is larger 2 BR maybe 1000 sq. ft. Was wondering about Mitsubishi wall units and putting one in each apartment even though larger one maybe could use more. So, two units plus one compressor plus installation? Tenants pay their own electric.

Reaction Score
Definitely need two in the larger unit. I have a rental house with 3 units working off one outdoor compressor. I think it was 6k-7k or so installed 7 years ago. Not sure. I love them though. When we stay in the house it is always comfortable and they are very quiet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, depending on location and heat needed, they also come with a heat pump option. Don’t put it in for AC only if your are going to need a new furnace soon. Consider dual functioning units.

Reaction Score
If anyone knows a reliable HVAC guy that will install in Stamford PM me.

Closed on my first apartment at the end of March. AC already broke; two quotes I got were 8k & 13k (nonsense).

Reaction Score
If anyone knows a reliable HVAC guy that will install in Stamford PM me.

Closed on my first apartment at the end of March. AC already broke; two quotes I got were 8k & 13k (nonsense).

Mini-split?

The prices are idiotic, there was a thread a while back on here for it. I swear the HVAC industry messes with the pricing to get people to avoid buying them.

I looked into it over the winter. Our house had an addition put on by the previous homeowners and there was only "central" air in the new part of the house. The living room, kitchen, and dining room did not have AC. I got a quote for $7k for a mini-split in just a big living room, or $9k for a second outdoor compressor unit that will cool the entire old part of the house. Obviously I went with the latter.

Reaction Score
Mini-split?

The prices are idiotic, there was a thread a while back on here for it. I swear the HVAC industry messes with the pricing to get people to avoid buying them.

I looked into it over the winter. Our house had an addition put on by the previous homeowners and there was only "central" air in the new part of the house. The living room, kitchen, and dining room did not have AC. I got a quote for $7k for a mini-split in just a big living room, or $9k for a second outdoor compressor unit that will cool the entire old part of the house. Obviously I went with the latter.
The mini-split needs to connect to a condenser outside, right? My HVAC is a combined unit outside. I’d thought of it as an alternative (I don’t know a thing about this stuff) but my dad said it wouldn’t work with my HVAC set up.

Might just suck it up this summer and see if prices in the fall/winter are cheaper.

I also signed up for American Home Shield which will cover up to $3,000 in AC/other system replacements. Can’t contact them that it’s broken until my contract locks in a week from now, but I’m hoping that is a more cost effective option.

Reaction Score
The mini-split needs to connect to a condenser outside, right? My HVAC is a combined unit outside. I’d thought of it as an alternative (I don’t know a thing about this stuff) but my dad said it wouldn’t work with my HVAC set up.

Might just suck it up this summer and see if prices in the fall/winter are cheaper.

I also signed up for American Home Shield which will cover up to $3,000 in AC/other system replacements. Can’t contact them that it’s broken until my contract locks in a week from now, but I’m hoping that is a more cost effective option.

Yep, it needs a condenser outside.

At this point you probably need to wait until fall/winter anyway. My neighbor looked into getting AC and called a bunch of vendors (on the shoreline) and he was told they're booked until Aug/Sept.

Reaction Score
Yep, it needs a condenser outside.

At this point you probably need to wait until fall/winter anyway. My neighbor looked into getting AC and called a bunch of vendors (on the shoreline) and he was told they're booked until Aug/Sept.
That's odd...I had someone give me a quote in NJ yesterday and getting new AC installed tomorrow...it may depend on which brands installers rep...I know Carrier is 6 weeks out...and lead time is growing

Reaction Score
Mini-split?

I got a similar quote in NJ to mini-split my small basement. It's cool 90% of the time, but it gets humid. I was hoping AC would service a dual purpose of cooling and dehumidifying quieter and without emptying the bucket. I got quoted $7,700 for a 15,000 btu unit with install. There is a $1k rebate, but that's still nearly $7,000. I found the unit with all the stuff that was supposedly required for like $2,200. I told the guy I have no problem with him making money, but $5k seems like a lot for a few hours of work. He said there is no way that I found the right unit. I sent him the link and never heard back from him. I'll sweat it out for those 20 days or so.

Reaction Score
I got a similar quote in NJ to mini-split my small basement. It's cool 90% of the time, but it gets humid. I was hoping AC would service a dual purpose of cooling and dehumidifying quieter and without emptying the bucket. I got quoted $7,700 for a 15,000 btu unit with install. There is a $1k rebate, but that's still nearly $7,000. I found the unit with all the stuff that was supposedly required for like $2,200. I told the guy I have no problem with him making money, but $5k seems like a lot for a few hours of work. He said there is no way that I found the right unit. I sent him the link and never heard back from him. I'll sweat it out for those 20 days or so.
Trick is to find a good tech and pay him $500 to install it for u on the weekend

Reaction Score
I had Standard Oil install a new central AC system for my house. Yes, they do this type of work. They are a professional company and do not hire kids out of Tech School, but use experienced installers.

They are statewide so Stamford should not be a problem. Sounds like you are not looking for a central AC system, but are looking for apartment window installs with an outside compressor or maybe heat pumps. Not sure if they install those, but it is worth asking them.

I would give them a call and see if they can meet your needs. Their number is :
1-800-822-3835.

Reaction Score
I work for a HVAC company in Rhode Island. We have a 6 week wait for new installations . Mini split or central air. That is if we can keep getting the equipment.

Reaction Score
Trick is to find a good tech and pay him $500 to install it for u on the weekend

I think the issue is the manufacturer requires a "certified tech" to install it or you'll void the warranty. Probably worth the risk given the money you'd save. Just buy another one.

Reaction Score
I found the unit with all the stuff that was supposedly required for like $2,200. I told the guy I have no problem with him making money, but $5k seems like a lot for a few hours of work. He said there is no way that I found the right unit. I sent him the link and never heard back from him. I'll sweat it out for those 20 days or so.

This to a T. It's such a shady part of the industry.

Reaction Score
It's shady but a difficult industry. Prices and supply are crazy. It's expensive to be in hvac and most of these guys wing it. Quality is priceless. A poor install with incorrect size equipment or not the proper charge will destroy your investment

Reaction Score
We have a mini-split in the house, large unit cools the entire downstairs area - upstairs the smaller one cools the master bedroom. We had them put in when we bought the house 5 years ago and we recently finished the basement and wanted to put a small one down there more for the heating aspect vs. cooling but everyone we've got an estimate from has given us ABSURD prices. Literally all over the map, we've probably going to do it anyway because teaching down there this winter was a nightmare. We have Mitsubishi units, have been fantastic and energy efficient.

Reaction Score
Prices of HVAC air are always ridiculous. Dude shows up, spends 10 minutes, $200. Getting anything done is exorbiant. It's a wonder anyone does it.

I got a propane boiler converting from oil for 10k. But, to get a ductless AC in my house it is also 10K? That doesn't make sense IMO. LOL.

I also don't trust most of the people who come to my house. Had an $1000 job where a guy just changed a screw. I actually complained when I went to other people about it and they have half the moeny back.

Think about that. Mechanics don't do that anymore. No idea why we allow HVAC to do that.

Reaction Score
Looking for rough ballpark estimate for total cost of putting in air conditioning in apartment units. We actually have two apartments on 2nd floor in same building, one is 1BR about 600 sq. ft, across the hall is larger 2 BR maybe 1000 sq. ft. Was wondering about Mitsubishi wall units and putting one in each apartment even though larger one maybe could use more. So, two units plus one compressor plus installation? Tenants pay their own electric.

If these are purely rental/investment units I would not recommend installing anything. Not sure what the exact ROI would be, but it would take a while for any increase in rental income to cover your costs for the install... and that's assuming you can demand higher rents after install, which may not be the case. If you've had problems renting the units then I guess that's a different story, but otherwise don't waste your money.

Reaction Score
I also don't trust most of the people who come to my house. Had an $1000 job where a guy just changed a screw. I actually complained when I went to other people about it and they have half the moeny back.

They're ruthless when it comes to taking advantage of people. When we got our central air installed, initially they were going to put the condenser on the opposite side of the house from the furnace and our main electrical panel. They said it'd be $1k for the electrician to get a 220 line to the compressor. I wasn't thrilled, but whatever, it wasn't an easy run since our house is a split-level.

The day of the installation comes and they ask if they can put the compressor in a different location, outside of the house right next to the electrical panel. I said sure, that's fine. The electrician came out and spent about 30 minutes running the line, now a simple 10 ft run through one wall, instead of 100+ ft through challenging circumstances, and they still tried to bill me $1k. I told them there was zero chance I was paying that amount, and they agreed to knock it in half. I still got ripped off.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do you know a guy?

Reaction Score
Do you know a guy?
I do...but not in Ct...Sorry....we had a central air install and the tech gave me his info if I wanted to add a split for another apt I had

Reaction Score
If these are purely rental/investment units I would not recommend installing anything. Not sure what the exact ROI would be, but it would take a while for any increase in rental income to cover your costs for the install... and that's assuming you can demand higher rents after install, which may not be the case. If you've had problems renting the units then I guess that's a different story, but otherwise don't waste your money.
I’m with you, what I was leaning towards. We are good landlords but do too much sometimes & forget it really is supposed to be income generating business. Maybe if we feel generous, we can get a couple of window ac units, heavy as they are.

Reaction Score
Prices of HVAC air are always ridiculous. Dude shows up, spends 10 minutes, $200. Getting anything done is exorbiant. It's a wonder anyone does it.

I got a propane boiler converting from oil for 10k. But, to get a ductless AC in my house it is also 10K? That doesn't make sense IMO. LOL.

Think about that. Mechanics don't do that anymore. No idea why we allow HVAC to do that.
Does your mechanic drive to your home? I'm in mgmt at a 20M a year HVAC company in FL - the entire industry is broken. Top to bottom. Even the inspectors don't care.

Never buy homeshield or hvac insurance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom