Aim B1G UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Aim B1G UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is an interesting article on the valuation of major college FOOTBALL programs published earlier this year by the WSJ. It places UCONN ahead of more than a dozen schools from the SEC, ACC, PAC, Big 12, and B1G (if you count MD and Rutgers). Not bad for a program playing FBS for just a decade. Again, this only for *football*. When you layer in academics, athletics, championships, research, faculty, etc., it becomes absurd to suggest that UCONN isn't among the top universities in the country.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578225802183417888.html

Reaction Score
That one's a cashflow based valuation model. While it's not bad way to look at things, it will punish teams that have debt from recent investments (renovations, new buildings, coach hires, etc) while teams that's been hoarding money without investing it back will fare well.

That's why Iowa is ranked so high and listed as having almost double the value of USC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
And the term "blueblood" begins to look like an anachronism when applied to Syracuse and BC. What is the worth of being a blue blood if you're in an area of receding demographics, weak recruiting area and a pattern of declining results? What is the value of being a blue blood if you're in a big market but have never been able consistently capture it, have a weak recruiting area and a devastating slide in results ?

One can bemoan that Connecticut is a weak recruiting area but the ascension of UConn to FBS has negatively impacted BC and Cuse football recruiting, especially.

I'm sure some dude from Chicago with some close friends in some high places can read the tea leaves and make some pretty intelligent guesses. However, I would point out that if Syracuse and BC are STILL considered institutions with potential despite all the negatives that are already present (as well as those that are emerging) then I would question their ability to assess the future and if their thinking mirrors the prevailing wisdom of the real movers and shakers then all of them are in the dark and is it any wonder why we are still where we are?

At some point, someone with some cognitive ability and foresight will see that "blue blood" schools a, b, c, d, etc. are not as valuable as they appeared to be and better long term options are available and waiting. In addition, I think the P5 initiative can only be a good thing for UConn because it will help flush some of the pretenders out of the way. I'm not convinced that this p5 initiative won't turn into a complete and utter debacle , though, but that is another story.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They're [Syracuse] no one's top pick for a conference, but they're fairly justifiable as a 12th or 14th member.

That being said, UConn would jump to whichever power conference calls first (even if it's the Big 12, much less the Big Ten or ACC) - the issue is if/when that call ever happens.
So really, what keeps the label that FTT applied to Cuse from also being applied to UConn is supposed to be brand equity from a longer Divison IA football history? While I don't disagree that perceived or real deficit of football brand equity factored into UL getting the ACC invite over us, and it may come into play if we have to compete with Cincy or someone else if a spot opens up, the primary roadblock is just the fact that right now it doesn't look like any spots will open up, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom