Aidan Mahaney | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So who is a better fit for this team mahaney or brea? Working under the assumption that we get mcneeley commitment.
Mahaney brings more to the table than Brea.

Brea is an elite catch-and-shoot option. He hits 1/2 of his three-point attemps and over 80% of his field-goal attempts are from three.

Mahaney isn't as strong of a perimeter shooter as Brea (almost no one is), but can hit threes, but also score in a variety of ways. Out of the two, I'd prefer Mananey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ross isnt a 1 or 2....I think Stewart could play 2 better than Ross if need be (he's not really a 2 either). In a 4 out offense, the spots are kinda interchangeable, but I would feel scared if Ross was the 2 next to Hass or Nowell (or Traore :) ) Ross is a bouncy 3 and D with a really nice stroke and good energy.

Reaction Score
We may be under selling Ball. I think the kid will come back balling.
I agree with this -- we easily forget. Go look at the game tape vs UNC -- 13 points (3-6 3P) -- his stroke is very good (even for a lefty). A full summer in the system/learning the offseason he can easily become a 10ppg+ scorer next season and be a great starting 2.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
If Diara isn't coming back it is because The staff recruited over his preferred role and couldn't convince him to take the lesser role. And I trust the staff - so like with Roumoglou, I would be sorry to see him leave, but wish him well.
Diarra is so awesome. He is not anything like Roumoglou leaving. He has been vital to this team. I would think they do everything possible to convince him to return and I doubt they are looking for someone to play over him. Looking for someone to play alongside him would make sense. He is a team first guy and I would bet he takes whatever role the staff thinks is best for him to fill.

Reaction Score
My bad, 2 in 25
Technically you could also say AJ Price. He hadn’t played yet, but had his medical condition and his suspension and was officially a sophomore since he lost a year of eligibility to the latter. If everything had gone according to plan, he’d have probably come off the bench - or maybe started at the 2 alongside Marcus - before taking over point guard duties.

Taliek also would have backed up Khalid for a year if Khalid came back. Taliek and AJ were part of teams that missed the tournament as first year point guards, so it shows it has never been the blueprint for short term success (Khalid had a good situation with the rest of the team returning around him, with Ricky to help shoulder the point guard burden).

Reaction Score
How about the possibility of an Aiden Mahaney/ Liam McNeely tandem? The Irish in me would love that

I like the idea of adding both. Have to imagine part of the pitch would be for heavy minutes for Mahaney, which would likely leave Solo coming off the bench. It's a point of contention on this board whether Solo is ready to start.

Reaction Score
Khalid El Amin is the only freshmen starting PG we’ve had in 25 years. odds aren’t Nowell ain’t that
Huge El Amin fan, and I think Nowell is in his league. Huge Nowell fan also in case you didn't pick that up.
#W-W

Reaction Score
I’ve been devouring DH content but i did not see said interview
Here's the quote.

“What (Diarra) envisions for himself next year in terms of role has got to be aligned with what ours is,” Hurley said. “I think what’s been effective for us the last two years is that the level of honesty has created great rosters. Because the players that didn’t align with what we viewed for them, they left, we brought in appropriate players in both years and then we won back-to-back championships. We’re just gonna tell the truth with players about where we see them, but we would like to return as many of the players as we can.”

Reaction Score
I know some will be surprised by this, I was watching him, but I think Ross is more guard than forward. We've had him bring the ball up and operate mostly in the backcourt. Think Guard in the Andre Jackson/Castle meaning of it.
Need a Ross thread. Not much data obviously, but everyone seems so high on him. Bouncy as can be from what I've seen, just don't know what his role(s) project(s) Love to hear thoughts.

edit-saw some of them, sounds like no consensus

Reaction Score
It’s almost like the majority of people here forget what’s been happening with player development now that the Hurley & Co. era is full steam ahead.

I expect SIGNIFICANT jumps in skills and abilities from all the freshmen. We ride with Ball/Stewart/Ross & I’m cool with that.

I’m not sure if I care that much whether we get Mahaney or not. Seems more like a backup plan for McNeeley/Brea.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Honestly, the roles / minutes are my only concerns.

If Hurley and staff tell Mahaney his role, and he commits, I’m happy.

I think him getting between 20-25 minutes is reasonably, starting or 6th man or whatever.

Reaction Score

I think him getting between 20-25 minutes is reasonably, starting or 6th man or whatever.

Same. Have to think if we land McNeeley the 8 man rotation will be Diarra, Nowell, Ball, Stewart, McNeeley, Karaban, Samson, and Reed. If we bring in another guy on the level of Brea or Mahaney, somebody is going to be unhappy with their role. I still feel like the staff is recruiting as if Karaban will be gone. Replace Karaban with Brea/Mahaney in that rotation and everything makes more sense.

Reaction Score
If we bring in another guy on the level of Brea or Mahaney, somebody is going to be unhappy with their role.
among the 9 rotation players who's unhappy in the below scenario? nowell and ball?
if Nowell is as good as advertised then it could end up being closer to a 22/18mpg split for Diarra/Nowell.
if Ball shows improvement then he can steal 1 or 2 mins each from Mahaney/McNeeley and get him up to 18-20mpg as well.
nothing is guaranteed. stairway to 7.

Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
McNeeley 10 / Mahaney 15 / Ball 15
Stewart 15 / McNeeley 15 / Mahaney 10
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

30: Karaban
25: Diarra / McNeeley / Mahaney / Stewart
20: Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell / Ball

Bench: Ross / Abraham / Singare

Reaction Score

The minutes would be tight on paper if Karaban, Diarra, McNeeley, and Mahaney/Brea were all here, but all it takes is one injury or one player having a bad season to open things up. Despite how the last two years have gone, these things almost always happen too. Convincing the entire group to buy into these roles is much easier said than done, but more than likely the minutes would figure themselves out and you wouldn’t be saying “there’s not enough minutes to go around” come December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom