Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney COMMITS to UConn (Merged)

Reaction Score
Quotes from AM's Dad in a Hartford Courant article today:

"UConn was one of the first programs to express interest after he decided to enter the portal on April 17." Within a week he cut the list to eight and then the four he'd visit.

"as they sat in the film room during his visit...Hurley and....Young and Luke Murray ripped through different plays and scenarios, rattling off questions.............confirming whether he’d be able help in their quest for a three-peat."

‘”How would you handle this,” “What would you do here?”‘ Mark Mahaney remembers his son being asked. ‘”This is what we do here,” “This is how we handle this,” “This is where you would position yourself.”‘

"It only took 15 minutes for them to get through the part of the visit that could take an hour elsewhere."
“The attention to detail, the strategy, the way they talk, it’s a very intense way to look at basketball and a very intellectual way too,” Mark said. “Intensity, creativity and passion. "

"On that coaching staff there’s nobody who’s laid back. And we talked with some other programs where the coaches prided themselves on being laid back. UConn was the opposite of that. Those guys are just – I don’t know how much caffeine they drink.”

"“His hands were getting sweaty, he was so excited,” Mark said."

"“Aidan wants to be part of a championship team...that’s his personality. He doesn’t want to go someplace and be the star player on a team that doesn’t make it to the NCAAs or bows out in the first or second round,” Mark said.“

Quote from his high school coach: "“I think he’ll fit well, Aidan knows how to play with other good players, he’s not gonna be some ball-dominant guy................. I think he’ll fit their offensive style well,” Dyer said............I know he’s not guaranteed anything in terms of starting or playing time, so I know he’s not afraid to compete for that.”"

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"UConn was one of the first programs to express interest after he decided to enter the portal on April 17." Within a week he cut the list to eight and then the four he'd visit.

"as they sat in the film room during his visit...Hurley and....Young and Luke Murray ripped through different plays and scenarios, rattling off questions.............confirming whether he’d be able help in their quest for a three-peat."

‘”How would you handle this,” “What would you do here?”‘ Mark Mahaney remembers his son being asked. ‘”This is what we do here,” “This is how we handle this,” “This is where you would position yourself.”‘

"It only took 15 minutes for them to get through the part of the visit that could take an hour elsewhere."
“The attention to detail, the strategy, the way they talk, it’s a very intense way to look at basketball and a very intellectual way too,” Mark said. “Intensity, creativity and passion. "

"On that coaching staff there’s nobody who’s laid back. And we talked with some other programs where the coaches prided themselves on being laid back. UConn was the opposite of that. Those guys are just – I don’t know how much caffeine they drink.”

"“Aidan wants to be part of a championship team...that’s his personality. He doesn’t want to go someplace and be the star player on a team that doesn’t make it to the NCAAs or bows out in the first or second round,” Mark said.“

Quote from his high school coach: "“I think he’ll fit well, Aidan knows how to play with other good players, he’s not gonna be some ball-dominant guy................. I think he’ll fit their offensive style well,” Dyer said............I know he’s not guaranteed anything in terms of starting or playing time, so I know he’s not afraid to compete for that.”"
Best staff in the country.

Here's the article.

Alternate access:
Why transfer Aidan Mahaney decided to leave Saint Mary’s and join UConn’s bid for three-peat

Reaction Score
Any time we get to hear the inside details of things the staff does, I'm blown away

Reaction Score

Literally 1000% what we want

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A lot of great stuff but in my opinion the above is the quote of the year.

Reaction Score
I'm glad to be allowed into this forum...

I live near St. Mary's (and Aidan's high school, Campolindo). Have watched Aidan play in person as many times as I could get to games...

When Aidan jumped into the portal, I had no idea how it would turn out... But NOW... I am a UCONN fan as long as Aidan plays here.

Had already been a UConn women's fan due to Paige Bueckers, whom I have watched play (online) from her soph year onward, and remain a fan now.

Yes, I am about the biggest high-school hoops nut anywhere... went to over 200 games in-person last year plus about a dozen Gaels games.

My years following the progress of Aidan have been incredible! I have no idea how he'll fit in with the Huskies, but he is an ultimate team-first guy and will do whatever he can to help out, whether it's a few minutes here and there off the bench or starting. The kid is up to ANY challenge!

Go HUSKIES!! Woof woof woooof!!!

Reaction Score

I live near St. Mary's (and Aidan's high school, Campolindo). Have watched Aidan play in person as many times as I could get to games...

When Aidan jumped into the portal, I had no idea how it would turn out... But NOW... I am a UCONN fan as long as Aidan plays here.

Had already been a UConn women's fan due to Paige Bueckers, whom I have watched play (online) from her soph year onward, and remain a fan now.

Yes, I am about the biggest high-school hoops nut anywhere... went to over 200 games in-person last year plus about a dozen Gaels games.

My years following the progress of Aidan have been incredible! I have no idea how he'll fit in with the Huskies, but he is an ultimate team-first guy and will do whatever he can to help out, whether it's a few minutes here and there off the bench or starting. The kid is up to ANY challenge!

Love to have new fans that are vested in the players and have value added from watching them. Welcome to the Boneyard

Reaction Score

Welcome aboard UConn Nation, AidanFan20 :)

We always welcome new fans. Few tidbits about myself for whatever it's worth, which might be nothing, LOL....

1) I went to high school in Storrs (where UConn is) and my father was a part-time medical consultant for the UConn Men's Basketball team in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s so I have been a fan since I was 5 and we had season tickets and went to many games.

2) Born in Brooklyn, New York and my family roots go there so I love that UConn takes over Madison Square Garden (MSG is actually in Manhattan) during the Big East tournament. You will love it, too when you see the games on TV. There are tons of UConn fans in NYC.

3) Live in Boston now and still drive to go to the games in Connecticut, MSG, and Providence when UConn is the visiting team.

4) My wife is from Santa Cruz, California. Whenever we visit her parents I have always thought about catching a St. Mary's-Gonzaga game-their home crowds for that game are on fire and create a great atmosphere.

I was pumped up when the news broke that Mahaney was committing to UConn. I always like his game. The first game I saw him play was last year in 2023 when St. Mary's defeated Gonzaga in OT. Mahaney was on fire and took over the game-Gonzaga couldn't stop him.

I hope you become a regular visitor here on the BoneYard.:)

Reaction Score
Mahaney coming here for all the right reasons. I think he's going to be really good here, better than expected. He will flourish in our offense, it's going to be fun to watch. I think he's going to gives us shades of Cam Spencer at times.
Yep, when looking at Mahaney I factor in how slow and terrible the St. Mary's offense is. Mahaney was so often left trying to create one on one at the end of the shot clock bringing down his percentages. He's going to thrive playing with this coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Yep, when looking at Mahaney I factor in how slow and terrible the St. Mary's offense is. Mahaney was so often left trying to create one on one at the end of the shot clock bringing down his percentages. He's going to thrive playing with this coaching staff.

His freshmen year, at least against us, he played the point and had much better players around him. His soph year it seems they moved him off the ball where he was either a very strong spot up shooter or someone who would be forced to go one-on-one at the end of the shot clock. Anyone who had to do that on the reg would see their %'s drop. I rewatched a bit of him against us in the tourney and you can tell he has a nice feel for the game. He was guarded by Andre so that definitely was a problem for him getting good shots. But you could say that about some pros now, too.

Reaction Score
His freshmen year, at least against us, he played the point and had much better players around him. His soph year it seems they moved him off the ball where he was either a very strong spot up shooter or someone who would be forced to go one-on-one at the end of the shot clock. Anyone who had to do that on the reg would see their %'s drop. I rewatched a bit of him against us in the tourney and you can tell he has a nice feel for the game. He was guarded by Andre so that definitely was a problem for him getting good shots. But you could say that about some pros now, too
Logan Johnson was the starting PG for St Mary's his freshman year, he's always played off ball and will more than likely do the same here. He's a solid passer though so I expect him to still get a ton of assists

Reaction Score

I have a colleague who's a UCLA guy but knows the Maheny family and he's been raving about how great this kid is - on and off the court - for years. He's on the bandwagon now, too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Logan Johnson was the starting PG for St Mary's his freshman year, he's always played off ball and will more than likely do the same here. He's a solid passer though so I expect him to still get a ton of assists
I'm not sure he won't be more Newton than Spencer for us.

Reaction Score
I feel like we on this board get way more hung up with who is playing point than the UConn coaching staff (see: Jackson, Andre).

To some extent it changes possession by possession depending on what they’re running. This past season Newton, Castle, Cam, and Diarra all pretty regularly ran point for stretches. Mahaney definitely will as well. Even when he and Diarra are in together, Diarra is so lethal off-ball with his cuts and taking advantage of any defensive ball-watching, that I’m sure we’ll see lots of possessions with Mahoney on and Diarra off-ball.
We even see different guys on or off the ball within a given possession. That was what made our offense so tough to keep in check for 40 minutes and what made our runs feel inevitable.

Reaction Score

Hurley is nailing it in identifying the right character guys who also possess a skillset that fits our system.

This guy cares first and foremost about winning and wanted to come to the best place to do exactly that.

He wasn't seeking more money or a potential boost to his draft stock (though he may get both anyway). He wanted to compete for a championship. He's hungry, like Spencer was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom