Ahmed Hill | The Boneyard

Ahmed Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like we're out of the running for Hill. In an insider report on ESPN he says UNC and Indiana are coming at him the hardest. With Theo Pinson committing to UNC, Indiana has picked up the slack. Crean is telling Hill he reminds him of Dwayne Wade.

Then his list of schools were shown and it said; Georgia, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Florida, Florida State, Kansas, Texas, Louisville, among others. No sign of UCONN.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Until tomorrow when he has a new list

Reaction Score
I really refuse to follow these kids and worry about the next list or this list basically because we seem to be in such good hands with KO/the staff. They have their hands in so many situations it will all work out and the dominoes will fall eventually in the right direction! But it is fun to "root" for kids you would love to don that National Flag Blue!!!

Reaction Score
As much as I would love to land Hill, now that we have DH and Purvis in the fold, I think the focus should be on getting a well rounded class. I do think we need more guards, but we will need more than just that.

Reaction Score
Hill or any other elite SG would be icing on the cake, but I like Purvis and DH better than all of them. Still lots of time and I really like Carringtons game a lot. Lets wrap up LJ Peak on the wing

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's fun to picture all of these top recruits coming to UConn, but who knows how it will play out. It does seem like DH is going to be a SG, so it would be great to bring in maybe one or two of Abu (PF), Oubre (SF), and Chukwu (C). With Purvis, DH, and two more, it would be by far the highest ranked class UConn has ever had. So if we get one of these (the large group that is being recruited) highly rated players, that will be pretty damn good too. You know, with the two we have, it's probably already one of the best classes ever. But, if we're being really greedy, a top PG might be nice too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
on twitter 2 days ago he said uconn was still recruiting him.....

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Source may be questionable, but he's been so overwhelmingly high on UConn in the past. I wouldn't think he'd just drop us like that; although the additions of Purvis and Hamilton probably impacted his decision(s).

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
Source may be questionable, but he's been so overwhelmingly high on UConn in the past. I wouldn't think he'd just drop us like that; although the additions of Purvis and Hamilton probably impacted his decision(s).

Pretty much this. I find it hard that he would drop UConn right before Ricky starts to recruit him. I think Moore's connection to the area keeps UConn in this until the end, but that's just my opinion.

UNC fans seem to think he will commit if offered, but they said the same about Vaughn at one point. Cuse fans are still waiting for Briscoe to commit and he was supposed to commit there when he was 12 (exaggerating).

Reaction Score
I think we still need a stud point guard. Samuel will likely be a serviceable backup a la Austrie and probably better than Beverly, but if we're counting on him to be our primary point guard then I think that's asking a bit much.

For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable going to a big lineup with Purvis at the point and Hamilton at the 2, plus 3 frontcourt guys. That's not enough ballhandlers. Purvis needs to be the scoring-oriented half of a two-headed point guard, with Hamilton at the 3.

If Samuel can be the Ricky Moore to Purvis and Hamilton's Khalid and, well, Hamilton, then that's good enough. If Samuel isn't talented enough for that role, we need someone else.

Reaction Score
UNC fans seem to think he will commit if offered, but they said the same about Vaughn at one point.

No, we thought Vaughn would commit on or shortly after his unofficial visit. He almost did, and he gave us a direct quote saying he almost did. He visited unofficially with one of his coaches along for the ride. He went home, tried to convince his parents, and they shot it down. They wouldn't let him commit early. They have been pushing this senior year decision stuff for over a year and they are pretty adamant about it. They also have not accompanied him on any out of state visits, which may be part of the problem.

As for Hill, we've been told he is a huge UNC fan. He does not have a scholarship offer yet, and he's been told he won't get one until Roy can go watch him play. According to Hill, he speaks mostly with assistant coach Hubert Davis and UNC interest really only started within the last little bit. So it is pretty interesting that Hill is telling people that UNC is coming at him the hardest when he doesn't have an offer, he rarely talks to Roy, and Roy has yet to watch him play a single AAU game. Seems like the young man is letting his excitement about UNC's early interest shine through in his comments.

With the recent commitment of SG/SF Theo Pinson, UNC has one more spot left in their 2014 class. That spot is going to a pure shooting guard who has a reliable outside shot. Vaughn, Devin Booker, and D'Angelo Russell have offers. Hill does not yet. The three guys with offers appear to be taking their time. The feeling is that Hill will move quickly if he gets a UNC offer. So what the staff sees from Hill in the July eval periods are they key. If he plays as up and down as he did during the EYBL, the staff may keep him on the back burner and allow some of the other recruits to take get closer to their decisions. If he plays well, the staff may try to wrap the class up quickly with him as the final piece.

Reaction Score
No, we thought Vaughn would commit on or shortly after his unofficial visit. He almost did, and he gave us a direct quote saying he almost did. He visited unofficially with one of his coaches along for the ride. He went home, tried to convince his parents, and they shot it down. They wouldn't let him commit early. They have been pushing this senior year decision stuff for over a year and they are pretty adamant about it. They also have not accompanied him on any out of state visits, which may be part of the problem.

As for Hill, we've been told he is a huge UNC fan. He does not have a scholarship offer yet, and he's been told he won't get one until Roy can go watch him play. According to Hill, he speaks mostly with assistant coach Hubert Davis and UNC interest really only started within the last little bit. So it is pretty interesting that Hill is telling people that UNC is coming at him the hardest when he doesn't have an offer, he rarely talks to Roy, and Roy has yet to watch him play a single AAU game. Seems like the young man is letting his excitement about UNC's early interest shine through in his comments.

With the recent commitment of SG/SF Theo Pinson, UNC has one more spot left in their 2014 class. That spot is going to a pure shooting guard who has a reliable outside shot. Vaughn, Devin Booker, and D'Angelo Russell have offers. Hill does not yet. The three guys with offers appear to be taking their time. The feeling is that Hill will move quickly if he gets a UNC offer. So what the staff sees from Hill in the July eval periods are they key. If he plays as up and down as he did during the EYBL, the staff may keep him on the back burner and allow some of the other recruits to take get closer to their decisions. If he plays well, the staff may try to wrap the class up quickly with him as the final piece.

Good news is he likes UNC bad news for you is his contact is Hubert Davis.......if that's the same bumbling fool who was on ESPN prior to his assistant's job then Hill might not know what the hell he is talking about!! :eek:

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score

I wasn't talking about message board fans, but UNC guys who I know from the AAU circuit, sorry for the confusion. For what it's worth they like UNC's chances with Vaughn.

Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about message board fans, but UNC guys who I know from the AAU circuit, sorry for the confusion. For what it's worth they like UNC's chances with Vaughn.

I hear ya. Yeah I'm sure that talk about Vaughn and UNC has been going around. It must be getting to some of the coaches out there too, because on the AAU circuit last month Vaughn didn't have nearly the crowd of head coaches you would expect a player like him to draw. Roy Williams and the new local coach Richard Pitino were the only consistent attendees.

We'll see how it all plays out. The UNC staff thought they could close on him quickly. The Vaughn parents shut that down. We've seen something similar back in the 2008 class. Tons of AAU chatter about Delvon Roe being bound for UNC. Roe actually even gave a verbal to Roy Williams in his office during a visit. But his parents liked Michigan State, and not longer after it hits the national news that Roe committed to Mich State. Which led to UNC offering Ed Davis and landing him... which in retrospect was a far bigger win considering Davis helped us win a title and Roe had career ending injuries. If Vaughn's parents guide him elsewhere, it remains to be seen who in 2014 could play that Ed Davis role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom