2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, especially with available spots drying up really quick. Assuming we take 5 guys again, 3/5 seem to be reserved already. Betsey/Edgecombe/Howard/Fland/Etc gotta decide if they want one of those 2 spots before it’s too late.
I do think we shouldn’t rule out the possibility of a 5 man class. The quality of the recruits we are offering and who are visiting is so high that I would imagine that their skill set would outweigh bringing in an extra portal guy with a very specific skill set. And even still the possibility exists that with early departures to the NBA, graduations, etc that we still could have 1 open scholarship even with a 5 man recruiting class. It’s very exciting to be a Husky fan these days.

Reaction Score
Take it easy Mrs. Hurley
I don't remember the comments in reference to Timberlake being anything like that, it was more negative towards Kansas and NIL.
We probably have the deepest and hardest-working coaching staff in the country, coming of a natty when none of the games were even close, and you’re still making “Mrs Hurley” jokes. After guaranteeing we’d lose in the first round. Truly special stuff lol

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I do think we shouldn’t rule out the possibility of a 5 man class. The quality of the recruits we are offering and who are visiting is so high that I would imagine that their skill set would outweigh bringing in an extra portal guy with a very specific skill set. And even still the possibility exists that with early departures to the NBA, graduations, etc that we still could have 1 open scholarship even with a 5 man recruiting class. It’s very exciting to be a Husky fan these days.
I’m still team quality freshman over transfer in a vacuum. Watching guys develop is part of the fun and what makes it feel more personal.

Reaction Score
I’m still team quality freshman over transfer in a vacuum. Watching guys develop is part of the fun and what makes it feel more personal.
I am too though the portal has advantages like bringing in a veteran kid that might have tournament experience, as well as a specific skill set to fill gaps where a roster might be thin like shooting, ball handling, or rim protection. I don’t think we’d have won the title without Newton, Alleyne, Diarra, and Joey last year. They fit the existing roster perfectly. Having 1 or 2 open spots to fill a perceived need is important too I think.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But you need both to compete at the highest level. I'm not in favor of unilateral disarmament. This staff has found the right balance, imo.

OTOH, sounds like you are not an Auburn fan. I recently heard Bruce Pearl saying why should he coach a guy up for a couple of years, just so he can play good for another team. He's gonna be the one bringing in the guys.

Reaction Score
The caveat here is that bringing in 2 straight 5 man classes increases the chances we have transfers out. Which personally I'm fine with, we'll never have a shortage of talent and if you can't get on the court and leave so be it. But just a reality that with 9 freshman and sophomores (excluding Castle who is almost certainly one and done) someone is likely going to be unhappy with their future outlook

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The caveat here is that bringing in 2 straight 5 man classes increases the chances we have transfers out. Which personally I'm fine with, we'll never have a shortage of talent and if you can't get on the court and leave so be it. But just a reality that with 9 freshman and sophomores (excluding Castle who is almost certainly one and done) someone is likely going to be unhappy with their future outlook

Yeah, bring 10 in over 2 years and almost certainty you lose a few. But the remaining players are still a high level nucleus.

Reaction Score

It's to be expected. I'm sure not all of the 2023 class is going to end up being a high level player. Whether they take a bench role, x-fer or join the circus is up in the air. Even when you recruit really talented players, sometimes they just don't transition well. Rahsool was a GREAT high school player and barely looked ready to be an 8th-man on an A10 team last year. It's unpredictable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
For sure, I don’t expect everyone to work out. But I also can’t look at any of the kids we’re targeting and say we should pass. I’m sure we’ll always have one or two spots open up after every season to use on transfers at that point anyways.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But you need both to compete at the highest level. I'm not in favor of unilateral disarmament. This staff has found the right balance, imo.

OTOH, sounds like you are not an Auburn fan. I recently heard Bruce Pearl saying why should he coach a guy up for a couple of years, just so he can play good for another team. He's gonna be the one bringing in the guys.
Obviously I want a mix of both. But if we only have one or two guys who transfer in every year, I think we can win with that.

Reaction Score
It's to be expected. I'm sure not all of the 2023 class is going to end up being a high level player. Whether they take a bench role, x-fer or join the circus is up in the air. Even when you recruit really talented players, sometimes they just don't transition well. Rahsool was a GREAT high school player and barely looked ready to be an 8th-man on an A10 team last year. It's unpredictable.
That class was also unique, the staff could hardly scout or meet up with any of those kids.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

That sounds like an Auburn problem. The only time a kid leaves here after getting coached up is to go to the NBA. It’s different for us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Obviously I want a mix of both. But if we only have one or two guys who transfer in every year, I think we can win with that.
Just projecting here, if Castle does leave next year we’re probably going to need an experienced PG. Unless we teach Solo to play the spot. Ahmad probably won’t be Castle ready to handle one of the most important roles on the team immediately.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, bring 10 in over 2 years and almost certainty you lose a few. But the remaining players are still a high level nucleus.
Yup, kinda when Calhoun would bring in classes with Curtis Kelly, Stanley Robinson, AJ Price, Doug Wiggins, etc.

May lose 2-3 to the portal who didn’t cut it. But the cream rises to the top and you still have a great core of players to work it when the dust is settled.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup, kinda when Calhoun would bring in classes with Curtis Kelly, Stanley Robinson, AJ Price, Doug Wiggins, etc.

May lose 2-3 to the portal who didn’t cut it. But the cream rises to the top and you still have a great core of players to work it when the dust is settled.

For no reason at all was thinking about Sticks today. Still rips the heart thinking about him.

Reaction Score
Just projecting here, if Castle does leave next year we’re probably going to need an experienced PG. Unless we teach Solo to play the spot. Ahmad probably won’t be Castle ready to handle one of the most important roles on the team immediately.
First World Problems GIFs | Tenor

Reaction Score
It's nice to be in a position to put pressure on recruits to commit before the spots are taken for a change instead of the hoping and praying of the past. You can't really lose with any of these players. I'd say Cooper Flagg is the unicorn. The other recruits are interchangeable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree. I'm just a little worried that those days, if not over, are at least numbered.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Looks like we are not for the faint of heart. Time will be won on the practice floor. Going to have to have a heart for the arena. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom