Ah, for the gritty games of yesteryear | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ah, for the gritty games of yesteryear

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You stop! I am pointing to the official UCONN website.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/conn-w-baskbl-sched.html.
If the website is wrong it is wrong but I'm not making this up.
Again, if you found a typo in some odd corner of a UConn site that you want to base some argument about, I'm sorry I'm not interested. By all means, report it to the UConn sports staff and maybe they'll clean it up, though I've had mixed results on those type of things. But it is a well remembered point of a lot of UConn fans that the team often considered the best ever was held to one margin under 10 points, by the Hokies of all teams on a day in which UConn just couldn't get the ball to drop. But to keep trying to say that UConn won by 83-79 despite all the other sources that say they score was 83-39 even when the clear evidence is shown to you is just crazy. So yes, please stop. It's just a bigger waste of time.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, that link points to the current schedule and results.
Yeah, but if you go down to the 200--02 schedule, you can see an error, which is not unusual on the UConn and other sports sites unfortunately. I try to check things with other sources because you can run into some real howlers. Half of my real job is cleaning up bad data for another sport, and I know you often can't believe what you read -- unless it's a game account that says the score was 83-39. Final!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, that link points to the current schedule and results.

Here's a link to the boxscore on UConn's site.

Wally the URL defaults to current season. On the right hand side there is a toggle to change the season. If you put that toggle on '01-02 season all the way at the bottom is the results from BE tournament. Again, "If the website is wrong it is wrong but I'm not making this up ie & not crazy as Dobbs has stated.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Huh. I hadn't noticed that feature. Thanks to you both :)

ETA: And I immediately noticed an error in the '96 results. The last game was at the Final Four (instead of being the 3rd game at the Mideast Regional, which of course it's not) and went to OT. So, yes, there are errors. I'd tend to rely on the year-by-year results in the online version of the media guide.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, if you found a typo in some odd corner of a UConn site that you want to base some argument about, I'm sorry I'm not interested. By all means, report it to the UConn sports staff and maybe they'll clean it up, though I've had mixed results on those type of things. But it is a well remembered point of a lot of UConn fans that the team often considered the best ever was held to one margin under 10 points, by the Hokies of all teams on a day in which UConn just couldn't get the ball to drop. But to keep trying to say that UConn won by 83-79 despite all the other sources that say they score was 83-39 even when the clear evidence is shown to you is just crazy. So yes, please stop. It's just a bigger waste of time.[/QUOTE]
OK Dobbs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Huh. I hadn't noticed that feature. Thanks to you both :)
FYI there are probably multiple errors on that page eg, VT game is listed twice on different dates with same score and both games having been played in CT.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sure, I have never seen this feature on the UConn site and have never used it, and it probably is filled with errors. I generally avoid referring to any data source that I know is error-filled, and thanks for pointing out that is schedule thing is something to avoid. There are many schedule based info sources on the UConn site that are correct, and those are the ones I choose to use.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure, I have never seen this feature on the UConn site and have never used it, and it probably is filled with errors. I generally avoid referring to any data source that I know is error-filled, and thanks for pointing out that is schedule thing is something to avoid. There are many schedule based info sources on the UConn site that are correct, and those are the ones I choose to use.
Got it, so only use the correct information from the UCONN website- glad we had this talk!

Wally East

Reaction Score
Obviously this is subjective but can anyone point to an instance in the NCAA tournament where more closer conference games would've made a difference?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, as I've mentioned in the past, what first brought me to the BY in the early 200s was that I was scanning through the UConn record book and found a citation saying that Pam Webber had shot her 3's at something like 75% in her senior year, which of course sounded incredible, but considering what KML's doing this year, maybe maybe not totally unbelievable. So I registered with the BY to alert them to this wonderful fact, and the resident stat-geek told me that I would find dozens of mistakes in the records if I looked, adn no, Pam shot at a much more pedestrian level that year. It was a sad time for me, but at least the Huskies later cheered me up by winning the NC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wally the URL defaults to current season. On the right hand side there is a toggle to change the season. If you put that toggle on '01-02 season all the way at the bottom is the results from BE tournament. Again, "If the website is wrong it is wrong but I'm not making this up ie & not crazy as Dobbs has stated.
Usually when someone makes a mistake, it's best to just take responsibility for it. You know like saying "my bad", "sorry", "well geez, I screwed the pooch on that one", "doh!, I'm an idiot". Something like that. Man up.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Obviously this is subjective but can anyone point to an instance in the NCAA tournament where more closer conference games would've made a difference?
I can think of the opposite. If UConn was winning the games in 2001 by 50 in which Sveta and Shea were injured and they didn't need to be the floor, UConn might have won the NC in 2001. Of course, the Abrosimova injury came during a tough UTenn game within the conference season schedule, and Ralph's loss came in the BET final against ND. Injuries can come in any game including a laugher, but the stars spend less time on the courts, and many of the memorable injuries like KML's in the Stanford game last year came in tough games.

But no, no one can prove anything one way or another. And certainly, if you play a tough team three times and beat them all three, the fourth game is always a big problem. I'm still guessing UConn would have beaten Louisville a fourth time last year if they had met in the Tourney, but who knows?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very subjective, I'd have to start with some of the most dominant teams in NCAA history. Hard to prove but I would think the '09-10 UCONN team could have used some kind of adversity before the championship game against Stanford. If not for Maya going into phone booth and putting on her cape in second half we might have had 1 less championship. The final margin +6 for UCONN is not biggest stat I would point to because UCONN was only +12 against Stanford in a game played CT earlier in the year. UCONN only put 53 points on the board that game-the lowest output of the season by far. Outside of UCONN I say the same thing about Baylor in '13. Some type of adversity might have prepared Baylor better for the Louisville mugging in the NCAA Tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Usually when someone makes a mistake, it's best to just take responsibility for it. You know like saying "my bad", "sorry", "well geez, I screwed the pooch on that one", "doh!, I'm an idiot". Something like that. Man up.
Myers,
I have no issue manning up when I think i have done something wrong. I don't believe I did anything wrong here nor do I believe I did anything to deserve being called "crazy" as I was by Dobbs. I used incorrect information from the official UCONN website and received this response "What??? No clue what you're talking about here or where you found that". I responded with the URL and screen print where I found the information and got the impression from Dobbs response what that I was deliberately making ish up and was told to STOP ". I 'm not a child and this is not Sunday school . Is respectful disagreement not the Boneyard standard? Don't see where I screwed a pooch here.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Baylor in '13. Some type of adversity might have prepared Baylor better for the Louisville mugging in the NCAA Tournament.

You mean like a 6-point win over UConn on Feb. 18? :) (And, yes, I realize we're talking conference games.) They also had an 8-point win against OK State in the Big 12 semis.

UCONN only put 53 points on the board that game-the lowest output of the season by far.

Well, depends on "by far," I guess. They scored 59 against ND and 60 against WVU in the Big East semis and finals. Checking the boxscores for the three games, they're not that dissimilar. Crappy shooting in the first half and much better shooting in the second half. Obviously, the shooting in the first half of the Stanford was substantially worse (17% vs. 30something%).

In thinking about it though, I think one could make a case that without the experience gained against ND and WVU, they might not have pulled through against Stanford, which would substantially bolster your case, no?

Wally East

Reaction Score
Not to be the word police but, I guess to be the word police ...

It's a woman's basketball forum: maybe something other than "man up"?

It just seems weird, you know?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Very subjective, I'd have to start with some of the most dominant teams in NCAA history. Hard to prove but I would think the '09-10 UCONN team could have used some kind of adversity before the championship game against Stanford. If not for Maya going into phone booth and putting on her cape in second half we might have had 1 less championship. The final margin +6 for UCONN is not biggest stat I would point to because UCONN was only +12 against Stanford in a game played CT earlier in the year. UCONN only put 53 points on the board that game-the lowest output of the season by far. Outside of UCONN I say the same thing about Baylor in '13. Some type of adversity might have prepared Baylor better for the Louisville mugging in the NCAA Tournament.
I would say that in 2010 it would have been good if UConn could have experienced a game earlier on where the balls were just not going down in the first half even if Tina had stood on a small stool and dropped the ball through the rim. The Huskies had plenty of good looks but the shots were just rattling out, and it was not really that Stanford was suddenly the greatest team or playing defense like no one had ever seen. Just like against that 2002 mediocre VTech team, the shots just weren't dropping, really for either team, as the Cards didn't shoot well either. In the second half, UConn returned to normal self and outscored Stanford 32-9 before the score narrowed at the end. Would the Huskies have done better if any team except Stanford in the regular season had given them a better game? Doubt it. Two pretty well matched teams in the NC game, both shooting coldly on tight rims, and UConn just finds its game later.

And Baylor played a terrific OOC in 2012-13 that included top 10 teams UConn, Stanford, ND, UTenn, and KY, plus other ranked teams. I mean, they played just about everybody. And their conference play had four ranked teams in it, so not great but decent. What would have helped Baylor that year was to have played a team that shot 60% for a lot of threes during a game, and to have a coach that would tell them to go guard those three-point shooters before they build an 18 point lead on you 3/4 through the game. A little common strategy making might have saved them from a tough hole to dig out of, though Sims shot them into the lead before they went down. And yes, Griner got hacked up all year, so that was nothing new, but Louisville just did it more effectively and played with more heart.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Oh c'mon you're just getting too caught up in that gentlemanly sensitive stuff, and you should woman it up about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Myers,
I have no issue manning up when I think i have done something wrong. I don't believe I did anything wrong here .... I used incorrect information from the official UCONN website
Hello, McFly.
I 'm not a child and this is not Sunday school . Is respectful disagreement not the Boneyard standard? Don't see where I screwed a pooch here.
And therein lies your problem. Just man up, and admit you screwed up. Why you gotta keep trying to shift the blame? Is it really that hard?

Man-Up-Nancy.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Telling Koko B Ware (a male) to woman up wouldn't be weirder?? If Geno can call his guys, guys, then we can man up.

word-police.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And this thread has lost it's way.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics