age discrepancy between actor/actress and character they portray | The Boneyard

age discrepancy between actor/actress and character they portray

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm sure I mention this frequently. Does it bother anybody else? I know it's par for the course, and up to a certain point it's not really a big deal. Someone in their early 20's playing a character in their late teens isn't that much of a stretch. But it goes so far beyond that. I just don't understand why it's so common. I know there are child labor lays that make shooting a movie problematic if the actor is a minor. But I can't wrap my mind around casting someone in their late 20s or early 30s to play a teenager. There are plenty of actors/actresses closer to the actual age of the character. At some point when you know the actor/actress is that much older it ruins my suspension of disbelief for the whole movie. And it's not just Hollywood, the Brits do it too.

I also wonder about the actors/actresses choosing to do this as well. At some point they must want to get adult roles and stop playing high schoolers. I just saw one w/ a 31 year old actress playing probably a 16 year old character. She pulled it off, I had no idea of her real age (she's not well known). But come on, really?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In Beautiful Girls, which is a great movie, Timothy Hutton and Michael Rappaport play classmates going to their high school reunion even though Hutton is 10 years older than Rappaport in real life.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's not even the direction I was going, but Laura Dern portrayed Reese Witherspoon's mom in "Wild" and Dern is 9 years older than Witherspoon.

Even better, Angelina Jolie was Colin Farrell's mother in "Alexander." There is 1 freaking year age difference between them. Hollywood is so weird.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's not even the direction I was going, but Laura Dern portrayed Reese Witherspoon's mom in "Wild" and Dern is 9 years older than Witherspoon.
Hmm. It never even occurred to me. I thought they both did a good job in it. It's an under-appreciated movie. Eventually I want to read the book.

Reaction Score
I think Robert Redford has to have the record for being nearly 50 when playing young Roy Hobbs (18-ish) in the Natural. Can anyone beat +30?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom