Afternoon Dustup Over Status of Fall Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Afternoon Dustup Over Status of Fall Sports

Reaction Score

We have tested a smaller- much smaller- percentage of our population than any country in Europe. Far smaller percentage than Korea (population of 50 million). Seven times as many people have died in Connecticut than in Korea, though Korea's population is 14X larger.

And though the number of deaths per 100,000 population is lower than Spain and Italy, the virus is just getting started in places like Kansas, South Dakota, and elsewhere.

As a person who features multiple conditions that make me vulnerable to die an agonizing death should I become infected, it's personal. Opening up hairdressers, or hosting 10,000 people for a UConn basketball game, many of whom will become infected and head back to Groton and Greenwich, means hundreds, if not thousands, more people dying.

And quite possibly me.

Reaction Score
Realistically, it is highly unlikely that foreign students will be on campuses in the fall. If they want to stay enrolled, they can do online classes anywhere. Just put yourself in the shoes of a parent; the US has far and away the most cases, the most fatalities and by far the weakest government response among the largest nations. Who would sign up for that?!
How wrong can a post be ? See above.

Reaction Score
Realistically, it is highly unlikely that foreign students will be on campuses in the fall. If they want to stay enrolled, they can do online classes anywhere. Just put yourself in the shoes of a parent; the US has far and away the most cases, the most fatalities and by far the weakest government response among the largest nations. Who would sign up for that?!
That’s why I greeted the news that Anna had returned to Poland with strong possibility she might not return, at least for a year.

Reaction Score
The Germans have already cancelled Octoberfest. Fall sports don’t stand a chance.:rolleyes:
it isn’t just foreign parents who would be reluctant to send their kids to U.S. colleges, I would not send any kid of mine given the bungled, slow federal response. As with the flu pandemic in 1918, the second wave this fall could be far worse than what we are experiencing now, especially if the anti-shutdown bozos increase their numbers.

Reaction Score
Quite a fruit salad there, mixing "apples" (per capita) and "oranges" (total numbers). On that website you linked sort by "Tests/1m pop" and you'll find dozens of countries have tested more per capita than the US.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

According to the site you linked, the U.S. is 42nd best in the number of tests as a proportion of the population, 16th worst in number of cases as a proportion of the population, and 14th worst in the number of deaths as a proportion of the population.

Reaction Score
CoVid 19 may wax and wane as time goes on, but I have seen nothing that convinces me that it won't be a dangerous virus until an effective vaccination is developed and widely deployed. My guess, or at least hope is that there may be a summer lull that will let me get back on a tennis court but that it won't last long before the numbers go back up in the fall. Pre-vaccination sports (or concerts, restaurants, or anything putting people together) are very unlikely.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The NCAA was willing to have the tourney without the California or North Carolina schools, so I don't put much faith in that. Plus the $EC would quit the NCAA before they let them cancel their football season.
Good point.

Reaction Score
The head of the CDC stated today that this fall the situation will be far worse, with the flu season overlapping with a resurgence of Covid-19. And now that southern governors are opening up their states far too soon, we could get a bad recurrence of the virus plus flu.

I don't think we are going to be playing basketball in November.
If all the college's don't have students, you won't have sports. When the college's can safely open, then you can get back to teams playing.

Reaction Score
Good point.
SEC would rather see their fans infected by hundreds, if not thousands, than cancel football. It is whynI pay little attention to them.

Reaction Score
Why there won’t be sports this fall as in a picture is worth a....

Attachments

• 71D194BC-F1EB-417F-B298-47673C529365.jpeg
    71D194BC-F1EB-417F-B298-47673C529365.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 148
Reaction Score
According to the site you linked, the U.S. is 42nd best in the number of tests as a proportion of the population, 16th worst in number of cases as a proportion of the population, and 14th worst in the number of deaths as a proportion of the population.
It’s also ridiculous to use the US stats as a country. More appropriate is what’s happening in CT, or NJ and NY where there are Big East schools on the schedule. No one wants to travel to these states right now and it is going to be a long time until that changes.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
In a related matter the president of the US sent an executive order to DOJ for review today banning all immigration for 120 days. It is unclear if the ban includes those on student visas. Potentially 30% of the UCONN WBB roster not able able to return until August.
That is for all approved green card holders coming to the US, NOT student Visa's, which is what both Anna and Nika have. If my memory serves me correctly Canadian students do not need a student Visa.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is for all approved green card holders coming to the US, NOT student Visa's, which is what both Anna and Nika have. If my memory serves me correctly Canadian students don not need a student Visa.
Yes saw where that was cleared up later in the day. At the time it was uncertain.

Reaction Score
It will be a lot easier to score baskets if your opponent has to stay at least 6 feet away.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why there won’t be sports this fall as in a picture is worth a....
:eek: DUDE! Seriously, of all the pictures in the world, did you have to use that one to make your point?!
Do you not understand real pain? Flashback? Nightmares!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom