Afternoon Dustup Over Status of Fall Sports | The Boneyard

Afternoon Dustup Over Status of Fall Sports

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Courant explains how the President of the U created a bt of a panic over status of fall sports.

"Current thinking is that likely fall sports will be canceled — with the exception of those that can be played at a safe distance,” Katsouleas told a journalism class on Tuesday, according to a tweet from @UCTVSports, the account for the sports department of the college’s student-run TV station.

However, UConn quickly walked back the statement, which touched off speculation about the loss of the college football season. Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz, who was on the video conference with Katsouleas and the students, said, “it was a misunderstanding about the phrasing of what he said. ... fall sports are still on.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In a related matter the president of the US sent an executive order to DOJ for review today banning all immigration for 120 days. It is unclear if the ban includes those on student visas. Potentially 30% of the UCONN WBB roster not able able to return until August.

Reaction Score
In a related matter the president of the US sent an executive order to DOJ for review today banning all immigration for 120 days. It is unclear if the ban includes those on student visas. Potentially 30% of the UCONN WBB roster not able able to return until August.
There are plenty of remote areas for Edwards to cross the border on foot. :cool:

Reaction Score
Realistically, it is highly unlikely that foreign students will be on campuses in the fall. If they want to stay enrolled, they can do online classes anywhere. Just put yourself in the shoes of a parent; the US has far and away the most cases, the most fatalities and by far the weakest government response among the largest nations. Who would sign up for that?!

Reaction Score

I don't think students are never considered immigrant, at least until they finish school and apply to stay in the US.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Because they're "in training." We've got "seasoned" veteran journalists that ask dumb a** questions like that all the time. ;) The dumbest question in Media Day history came prior to Super Bowl XXII in 1988. You've probably heard the story. A mediot actually asked Redskins quarterback Doug Williams the following: "How long have you been a black quarterback?" :eek: Actually, that question was never asked worded exactly like that, It was changed a bit. I read another version that it was asked, and gave the reporter's name. It was said that Williams answered the question: "When I got drafted into the league. Before that, I was just a quarterback."

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I keep saying that that there will be a 2020-21 WCBB season although it may be greatly forshortened.

Reaction Score
We have six months before any decisions need to be made regarding the season. We've only been dealing with this pandemic in the U.S. for less than two months even though it seems like forever. Unless there's a huge flare up right before the season, I think the show goes on. Obviously the school is at the mercy of whatever state orders are in effect. Hopefully we're not in a situation where other teams can have a season but we can't and are forced to forfeit games and break long standing streaks.

Reaction Score
The head of the CDC stated today that this fall the situation will be far worse, with the flu season overlapping with a resurgence of Covid-19. And now that southern governors are opening up their states far too soon, we could get a bad recurrence of the virus plus flu.

I don't think we are going to be playing basketball in November.

Reaction Score
The head of the CDC stated today that this fall the situation will be far worse, with the flu season overlapping with a resurgence of Covid-19. And now that southern governors are opening up their states far too soon, we could get a bad recurrence of the virus plus flu.

I don't think we are going to be playing basketball in November.
I think there will be basketball in November. Possibly not in Connecticut, but I'm betting there will be in places like Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama. Who is going to stop them?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We have six months before any decisions need to be made regarding the season. We've only been dealing with this pandemic in the U.S. for less than two months even though it seems like forever. Unless there's a huge flare up right before the season, I think the show goes on. Obviously the school is at the mercy of whatever state orders are in effect. Hopefully we're not in a situation where other teams can have a season but we can't and are forced to forfeit games and break long standing streaks.
Who really cares about streaks at a time like this?

Reaction Score
I think there will be basketball in November. Possibly not in Connecticut, but I'm betting there will be in places like Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama. Who is going to stop them?
NCAA

Reaction Score
NCAA
The NCAA was willing to have the tourney without the California or North Carolina schools, so I don't put much faith in that. Plus the $EC would quit the NCAA before they let them cancel their football season.

Reaction Score
I would suggest you use the New York Times as your source. All coverage of the virus on line is free and there is much greater detail than the site you linked.

Reaction Score
I would suggest you use the New York Times as your source. All coverage of the virus on line is free and there is much greater detail than the site you linked.
Just to clarify something. The state of Connecticut has more cases and more deaths than the countries of Poland and Croatia combined, and it’s not even close. Again, what should a parent do to protect a daughter?

Reaction Score

Leagues. Parents of the players. Governors. For Tennessee to play in November, won't they have to host Connecticut? And if UConn isn't open, then no game. the Pac-12 won't play, because their governors won't open up that soon, and won't permit huge gatherings. Mayors of NY and LA have already said no big sports or music events until 2021.

The president of UConn let the cat out of the bag.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom