After sitting out last season, it’s Evina Westbrook’s time to shine — on the court and as a leader for the UConn women | The Boneyard

After sitting out last season, it’s Evina Westbrook’s time to shine — on the court and as a leader for the UConn women

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By ALEXA PHILIPPOU Aug 16

UConn women's basketball player Evina Westbrook, now eligible and cleared to return to basketball activities, is ready to get back on the court — and just as importantly, lead a freshmen-heavy group as the team’s oldest player and one of its captains.

Carnac

Reaction Score
According to draftsite she will be #10 by Seattle.
I think Evina should be ranked higher ...

If she's projected by so called "reputable" basketball pundits to be a 1st round draft choice based solely on her freshman and sophomore years performance, then I think it's safe to say since she has matured (turns 22 on Sept 28 - she's the oldest player on the team), and has had a year of coaching and instruction under "Sensei" Geno and staff; she's going to be (and perform) even better this year than she did at Tennessee.

I also think it's a fair statement to say the players she'll have around her will be better. Geno is expecting a lot from her this year, and she appears up for the challenge. She's already taken a leadership role, being designated one of the 3 (ONO & Williams) team captains.

I completely agree with poster "Performance" in that I too hope she stays for 2 years. I don't see any weaknesses on this roster. Everyone of the freshmen (except Nika) was the best player on their high school team last year.
I see 11 players that have one mindset. That is to "Ball out 'til you pass out". ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Given that it’s been over a year since she’s played in a game, and she’s had two surgeries in the interim, any forecast on where she goes in the draft is a guess. At best.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Oy.

Am I alone in thinking that this is a really weak draft?

Reaction Score
THis might be the most exciting team to watch since Stewie left...So many gifted players with so much to prove and share with the UCONN fans base

Stay healthy and have fun..........I know Geno is very excited to coach them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@Carnac your statement: "Everyone of the freshmen (except Nika) was the best player on their high school team last " Well, it is a tad deceptive though unintended. Nika did not have a high school team. She played on two different league teams and in one league was designated one of the starting 5. Then there is her being called up at 17 to try out for her national team:

"The moment everybody knew would happen rather sooner than later is here: Nika Mühl received her first call with the Croatian NT at just 17. Even if she doesn’t make the final cut, the experience she will gain from participating to the camp can only be beneficial for her development. The do-it-all teen sensation, known for posting triple and even quadruple doubles on a regular basis at youth level, shines in both Croatian and WABA leagues so far this season with Tresnjevka 2009. In the Adriatic League, after three games, she has already posted twice 11 assists and leads the competition with 10,3 apg! This NT call should come as great motivation for the talented and ambitious PG whose name we will see many more times on the Croatian roster in the future. "

P.S. Actually I think it is one team which plays in two different leagues.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
@Carnac your statement: "Everyone of the freshmen (except Nika) was the best player on their high school team last " Well, it is a tad deceptive though unintended. Nika did not have a high school team. She played on two different league teams and in one league was designated one of the starting 5. Then there is her being called up at 17 to try out for her national team:

"The moment everybody knew would happen rather sooner than later is here: Nika Mühl received her first call with the Croatian NT at just 17. Even if she doesn’t make the final cut, the experience she will gain from participating to the camp can only be beneficial for her development. The do-it-all teen sensation, known for posting triple and even quadruple doubles on a regular basis at youth level, shines in both Croatian and WABA leagues so far this season with Tresnjevka 2009. In the Adriatic League, after three games, she has already posted twice 11 assists and leads the competition with 10,3 apg! This NT call should come as great motivation for the talented and ambitious PG whose name we will see many more times on the Croatian roster in the future. "

It was my understanding she didn’t play HS ball last year, that’s why I made that observation.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was my understanding she didn’t play HS ball last year, that’s why I made that observation.
I knew that is what you meant or at least assumed it. Meant no criticism. Just wanted to clarify for people less obsessed than you and I. She didn't play HS ball ever. It's all club ball age grouped.

Reaction Score
2 recent, back-to-back knee surgeries, hasnt played in 2 years...I might bet Nika will have a bigger impact than Evina will this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom