After roster shakeup, UConn guard Andre Jackson is ready to take charge | The Boneyard

After roster shakeup, UConn guard Andre Jackson is ready to take charge

Reaction Score

“UConn is a place where they win championships,” he said. “I want to be a part of that legacy. I want to be a part of that history. In order to be part of that, you have to win. My only goal coming here was to win.”

“It’s rare in today’s game how much [Jackson] cares about his team and this program winning,” Hurley said. “You cherish it because you don’t know how much longer guys with that mentality are coming in.”

HNV2SZ33RPFGXVMMVMVL6CNFLQ.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Time for Jackson to put up or shut up.

He is what he is. If he can’t shoot or go to the rack this year it’s time to look ahead.
I’m more skeptical than many here about whether Andre can handle the pressure of elevating both his game and his leadership role, given all the emphasis Hurley has placed on making it happen.

But I have no doubt that he’s going to work his ass off trying, and he will have his heart and head invested in improving and winning.

He’s a smart kid and a driven kid and he bleeds blue, and his story is still being written. He’s far from a finished product, so I think the “he is what he is“ sentiment is misguided.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really good read. Jackson seems to be the kind of guy you can build a team around. He wants the leadership role and isn’t afraid of the hard work it takes to earn it.

Reaction Score
For him to be great he must remake his shooting technique, no question, otherwise I don’t see much improvement.
I watch Paige videos and she makes so many shots in a row and she looks like the ball is too big and heavy for her. With his work ethic, and I think good body control, he must be able to improve his shooting. If his mechanics don't work, change them. Muscle memory works, but you have to give it the right memory.

Reaction Score
He’s been a point forward. I think with the old baggage gone, more freedom to showcase your skills
Yes. I don’t know why the pippen comp isn’t thrown(loosely) around with him more. Point forward, elite athlete, great rebounder and defense(still improving) and an offensive game that needs to mature. Scottie was very similar after his sophomore year at a D2( or 3?) school. He has about 3-4 inches on aj as well.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

“UConn is a place where they win championships,” he said. “I want to be a part of that legacy. I want to be a part of that history. In order to be part of that, you have to win. My only goal coming here was to win.”

“It’s rare in today’s game how much [Jackson] cares about his team and this program winning,” Hurley said. “You cherish it because you don’t know how much longer guys with that mentality are coming in.”

This is the type of attitude that takes role players far in their pro pursuit. NBA teams can always use high effort wing defenders, now imagine if he becomes a consistent spot up threat…

Also side note: we should try to use Jackson in spread short role sets this year. It’ll get him going to the rim without having to dribble too much, and of course it would take advantage of his vision. I’d love to see the staff work on that.

Reaction Score

This kid crushes hair product. I’m jealous.

Reaction Score
“Somebody’s got to step up to be that guy that’s going to lead the team,” he thought to himself. “I believe that’s me.”

I know Shabazz was around the other day. Hurley should have Andre talk to him. After Kemba left Shabazz tried to take the leadership reins and it was very hard the first year. Many of the players fought it and it took Shabazz a long time to get the team to let him lead them. I'm sure Shabazz has some good advice for Andre on this subject.

Reaction Score
“Somebody’s got to step up to be that guy that’s going to lead the team,” he thought to himself. “I believe that’s me.”

I know Shabazz was around the other day. Hurley should have Andre talk to him. After Kemba left Shabazz tried to take the leadership reins and it was very hard the first year. Many of the players fought it and it took Shabazz a long time to get the team to let him lead them. I'm sure Shabazz has some good advice for Andre on this subject.
Shabazz takes a lot of responsibility for his hard headed attitude
In 2011-12. which hurt chemistry. He continued to grow in 2012-13 and especially his senior year.
Part of his genius his senior year was him becoming the first among equals getting buy in from the other 3 vets creating a team better than the sum of its parts.
Jackson has to find his own path to success.
Kemba was a force of nature , Bazz a leader of men . Jackson TBD

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I will say for Andre he is now the vet that most guys should look too. Think only Sanogo would be the same class as him.

This really feels like the 2010 going on 2011 season. Where Kemba got to take the lead after Dyson and Sticks graduated. Think Jackson and everyone else on the team can flourish with him as the focal point.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I give AJ huge kudos for the positive attitude, I wish that Sanogo would be more vocal.
It's going to be tough for the team to adjust to so many new faces and departure of friends. There is a need for a vocal leader and it looks like AJ has been given that task. it won't be an easy one.
Along with the role comes the fact that he needs to back it up with solid performance on the floor. He knows his deficiencies and he needs to work on many areas.
I think with the old baggage gone, more freedom to showcase your skills
If you are speaking about IW you are way off base - this team will miss him the most. He did things on defense that most didn't notice and things AJ just can't do. Martin was a scorer and should have had the ball more - he and AJ are different. As far as freedom, Jackson had plenty of opportunity to do some things but he decided not or made wrong decisions - he will hopefully grow out of those bad decisions.
A better AJ is very important to this team. As I said, I like the fact he is looking to be a leader.

PWS

Reaction Score
I will say for Andre he is now the vet that most guys should look too. Think only Sanogo would be the same class as him.

This really feels like the 2010 going on 2011 season. Where Kemba got to take the lead after Dyson and Sticks graduated. Think Jackson and everyone else on the team can flourish with him as the focal point.

Kemba had a great line during that season - when asked what was different between the 2011 team vs the prior year - he said - These guys listen to me.

Reaction Score
Andre is the main glue guy on the court this year, with the dual responsibility of owning the leadership role, and having the team coalesce around him. I think he will be a strong leader; exactly what the team needs.

Reaction Score
He makes shots, 3’s, floaters but You have to believe that the staff has worked on his shot with him in all this time so….it may be that he can’t change it. Too uncomfortable for him to shoot that way. Now he can jump up better than anyone on the team but for some reason he can’t use his wrist to shoot the ball quickly. He’s all arm. Do I have this right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom