After nearly three years, football coach Randy Edsall has signed his UConn contract (Putterman) | The Boneyard

After nearly three years, football coach Randy Edsall has signed his UConn contract (Putterman)

Reaction Score
After nearly three years, football coach Randy Edsall has signed his UConn contract

>>After more than two and a half years working without an official contract, UConn football coach Randy Edsall has signed the agreement he and the school first reached in late 2016. Since assuming his job in January of 2017, Edsall had worked under a binding memorandum of understanding. He declined to sign his contract amid a legal battle over his son Corey’s employment as UConn tight ends coach, as well as concerns about the fallout from Kevin Ollie’s firing as men’s basketball coach.<<

>>Edsall’s annual salary began at $1 million but was designed to increase slightly each year, depending on the team’s performance the previous season. His pay is supplemented by a menu of performance bonuses, maxing out at $150,000 a year.

Edsall received a $150,000 retention bonus on July 31 of this year and stands to pocket two additional retention bonuses: $300,000 if he remains UConn’s coach on Dec. 1, 2019 and $200,000 if he remains in the role on Dec. 1, 2021. The coach’s contract ends Dec. 1, 2021, following what would be the fifth season of his current tenure in Storrs.<<

Also from within the article > The salaries of UConn’s other football coaches are as follows:
  • Offensive coordinator Frank Giufre: $313,500
  • Defensive coordinator Lou Spanos: $313,500
  • Defensive backs coach Darrell Perkins: $182,875
  • Defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carter: $177,650
  • Special teams coordinator Eddie Allen: $172,425
  • Quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko: $156,750
  • Wide receivers coach Aaron Smith: $151,525
  • Star, Nickel, Dime coach Jarren Horton: $129,375
  • Running backs coach Kyle Weiss: $114,950
  • Tight ends coach Corey Edsall: $98,325
PhzpA.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Shoestring budget for the assistant coaches. I know that 313k sounds like a lot and I would certainly love that type of money, but competitively it's hard to keep the Lashlees and Dunns of the world on that level of pay...

Reaction Score
If no one is coming to home games and TV revenue doesn't cover the program's expenses you have to work with what you can get. Bottom line is the coaches collectively need to win some games to build the fan base that fills the stadium and attracts better TV revenue. I just hope the school and the assistant coaches have the patience to get through Edsall's 5th season. If he can't recruit and train up good enough talent to make bowl games consistently he obviously needs to go. But they seem to be better this year than last and only 4 games into the season a lot of things can still play out. Be nice to see a lot less negativity and cynicism and a lot more commentary on how specifically they can win the next game.

Reaction Score
It may as well. Nobody better is coming to take this job at the pay this program as a whole receives.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So since he just signed his contract, does his five year plan officially start now?
Ihaven't read much of it, but I wonder if he is protecting himself against termination. Contract language is not binding unless it is executed.

Reaction Score
Ihaven't read much of it, but I wonder if he is protecting himself against termination. Contract language is not binding unless it is executed.

Edsall had an executed (and binding) MOU in place that both sides were operating under. The actual contract was executed before fall camp even started (July).

Reaction Score
So UConn paid $17 million dollars to leave the AAC in which Hurley can’t get good recruits and Edsall can’t compete. Seems to me that the money could be put to better use by paying a exceptional coach much much better. As far as I’m co cerned Hurley is doing a pretty good job getting very good players. So far it seems as though he wouldn’t possibly get Jackson. He already had #20 class without Jackson.

I am not happy with this move all made to “improve “ our basketball which could be improved without leaving the AAC and dumping the football team. I loveUConn never went there but a few of family did. I love All their sports. Do not understand the favoritism of some fans for one sport or the other. I just don’t.

Reaction Score
Ps I realized after I finished the above post that I neglected to mention the ESPN laughable contract they put forth. I leave that to people who know what they’re talking about.

Reaction Score
Ps I realized after I finished the above post that I neglected to mention the ESPN laughable contract they put forth. I leave that to people who know what they’re talking about.
I'm a football lover, but football at UConn had become the tail wagging the dog. UConn was the 1st and only school to upgrade from 1AA to a BCS conference. This infuriated a lot of people. Imagine being a fan of BYU, SMU, Houston, with their rich histories and seeing UConn get such a break?

BCS status was HUGE advantage for our program. Without that the difference between the AAC and independent status isn't worth deepsixing our BBall programs. P6 is a pipe dream.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Talking to people in the know. The contract with AAC and ESPN was great for Tulsa, Tulane and others, but a crap show for UConn. They discounted UConn almost all together as others were happy with being on the network.

The bottom line ESPN screwed UConn when conference realignment was happening and yet we continued to give them tax breaks to stay in Connecticut

Reaction Score
At least it was a bird in the hand with room to grow in a brand new conference improving each year. Now what have you got? A Big East conference that not even closely resembles the league UConn left less than a decade ago? No thanks. Dumb move.

Reaction Score
At least it was a bird in the hand with room to grow in a brand new conference improving each year. Now what have you got? A Big East conference that not even closely resembles the league UConn left less than a decade ago? No thanks. Dumb move.

I normally wouldn't bring basketball into a football thread, but since you went there...

Since the split, the new Big East MBB has:

- consistently been ranked a top 3-5 conference.
- won 2 National Championships.
- produced 32 NCAA tourney bids.

Since the split, the AAC (minus UConn) has:

- consistently been ranked a top 6-8 conference.
- had 1 Sweet 16 appearance.
- produced 17 NCAA tourney bids.

Such a dumb move for MBB!!!

Reaction Score
Such a dumb move for football. I hope it all works out for both.

Reaction Score
Yes, your football stance is warranted. AAC football is much superior to Big East football. Just don't bring that basketball BS up in here.

Husky25

Reaction Score

It's a great move for the Athletic Dept. As a whole, especially when the new media contrat starts. If subscribers get ESPN+, the decision is not driven by AAC content.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a great move for the Athletic Dept. As a whole, especially when the new media contrat starts.
The only people that have a problem with the move are the BB haters. Even though FB wouldn't have been even a dream without the excellence of the BB programs. Once FB started to snuff out the teams that made it possible, a move had to made. FB was like the huge drowning man that takes his smaller rescuers down with him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shoestring budget for the assistant coaches. I know that 313k sounds like a lot and I would certainly love that type of money, but competitively it's hard to keep the Lashlees and Dunns of the world on that level of pay...
It's ridiculous. My SO just got promoted to a position with 20 direct reports and she gets just a few K more than the coach's son gets to tweet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only people that have a problem with the move are the BB haters. Even though FB wouldn't have been even a dream without the excellence of the BB programs. Once FB started to snuff out the teams that made it possible, a move had to made. FB was like the huge drowning man that takes his smaller rescuers down with him.
If one is a UConn fan at all, it's because of basketball. There is no such thing as a UConn basketball hater among UConn fans.

Football didn't snuff out the other programs. Referring to basketball, coaching did.

Reaction Score

And it will kill our baseball program. That said, and I'm not a basketball fan (used to be, but the game is not the same), I just hope MBB will succeed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

You must feel really bad for Jarren Horton. Says right there he's being nickel and dimed ;-)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If one is a UConn fan at all, it's because of basketball. There is no such thing as a UConn basketball hater among UConn fans.

Football didn't snuff out the other programs. Referring to basketball, coaching did.
That's just not true. We didn't fill The Rent with existing UConn fans. There were tons of FB first fans. Those people are mostly disguised as empty seats today when they're not trolling the BB board.

And you don't think Geno can coach anymore? This crappy league was killing his recruiting.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's just not true. We didn't fill The Rent with existing UConn fans. There were tons of FB first fans. Those people are mostly disguised as empty seats today when they're not trolling the BB board.

And you don't think Geno can coach anymore? This crappy league was killing his recruiting.
I was talking about Ollie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom