After listening to Aresco I think we're gone | The Boneyard

After listening to Aresco I think we're gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listened to Aresco's press conference at Tulane. When he talked up the Big East's member schools he repeatedly mentioned UL and Boise State and on the basketball side SJU and Georgetown. Not one mention of UConn.

When asked about the New York market. He said that in football NY market does not really matter and that with SJU, Seton Hall and MSG make the Big East relevant in NYC. No mention of UConn.

When talking about Big East's success in non-revenue sports, again - no mention of UConn women's basketball.

When talking about Big East's basketball tradition, no mention of UConn.

Also Tulane's President, a former UConn alum, said as a Big East alumni he is excited about Tulane being able to play Eastern schools, but he never specifically mentioned playing against UConn, which I found odd. I thought for sure that would be a throwaway line in this type of press conference (e.g. "I can't wait to watch Tulane play games against my Alma Mater, UConn....")

I gotta admit, after listening to this I am 99% certain we are leaving the Big East.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He would do this if it were a strong possibility we were leaving as well as a known fact. We already know at a minimum it is a strong possibility we are leaving. What is interesting is that he did not omit ville?

Reaction Score
Listened to Aresco's press conference at Tulane. When he talked up the Big East's member schools he repeatedly mentioned UL and Boise State and on the basketball side SJU and Georgetown. Not one mention of UConn.

When asked about the New York market. He said that in football NY market does not really matter and that with SJU, Seton Hall and MSG make the Big East relevant in NYC. No mention of UConn.

When talking about Big East's success in non-revenue sports, again - no mention of UConn women's basketball.

When talking about Big East's basketball tradition, no mention of UConn.

Also Tulane's President, a former UConn alum, said as a Big East alumni he is excited about Tulane being able to play Eastern schools, but he never specifically mentioned playing against UConn, which I found odd. I thought for sure that would be a throwaway line in this type of press conference (e.g. "I can't wait to watch Tulane play games against my Alma Mater, UConn....")

I gotta admit, after listening to this I am 99% certain we are leaving the Big East.

When you combine this with his stuttering comments regarding UConn last week, it doesn't take a lot of outside the box thinking to realize someone has said something to him about UConn leaving the conference. Where we are going, not really sure, but this makes it pretty obvious we will not be in the Big East going forward.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Let's all hope this is an omission of admission. And let's hope whatever place we are going to turns out to be as good as we want it to be.

Reaction Score
He would do this if it were a strong possibility we were leaving as well as a known fact. We already know at a minimum it is a strong possibility we are leaving. What is interesting is that he did not omit ville?

I think he feels we are as good as gone. He mentioned UL prominently many times including the tradition of the Keg and Nails. Said UL is a "National Power", blah, blah

Reaction Score
He wouldn't need to omit us from a discussion about the Big East if it was only a "strong possibility" that we were leaving. A few weeks ago he would have certainly mentioned Rutgers in this context and no one would hold it against him today. He is purposely avoiding mentioning us because we are gone and it will make him look silly if its announced tomorrow.

Reaction Score
On top of Aresco stumbling on UConn last week after Snooki left - interesting to say the least (or we are all reaching). Have a link handy?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On top of Aresco stumbling on UConn last week after Snooki left - interesting to say the least (or we are all reaching). Have a link handy?
We are reaching. Any hope is better than none.

Reaction Score
I think you are right. For weeks leading up to Rutgers going to the Big Ten, Aresco consistently failed to mention Rutgers in his the forward-looking Big East forecast...even one time while being interviewed in South Florida while USF was playing Rutgers. He did mention USF though.

RU fans knew then that Aresco knew we would be leaving, and was making his case for the league without Rutgers in the future.

Sounds like he is doing the same thing now with UCONN. I would love it if you were invited to the Big Ten. I think that would be great for the Rutgers/UCONN Rivalry. There are only two teams I consider a rival (or in other words, teams I LOVE to hate.) UCONN and Syracuse.

Just don't care about anyone else in the Big East enough.

Reaction Score
And the obvious question is......if Uconn is NOT going anywhere then why wouldn't Aresco say anything about us? There has to be something to this. I mean, if you are Aresco I think you would mention Uconn in many different ways - hoops, football, women's hoops, etc.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If he didn't mention us, that is a sign that he doesn't think we will be back. It does NOT mean that we are gone.

Some of you are way too optimistic. The Big 10 isn't calling and Miami won't let us into the ACC without a fight.

Reaction Score
If he didn't mention us, that is a sign that he doesn't think we will be back. It does NOT mean that we are gone.

Some of you are way too optimistic. The Big 10 isn't calling and Miami won't let us into the ACC without a fight.

LOL, what? We have the best athletic department in the Big East with a ton of national titles in numerous sports. Considering the state the Big East is in, you don't think Aresco would mention that? At all?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If we are still in, I cannot imagine that he would not mention us.

It's possible he thinks we are gone (perhaps Herbst refused to give him a guarantee we would return). However, if we were in the ACC it would be announced already.

GG

Reaction Score
I doubt UL gave any guarantee that it would stay.

Reaction Score
Unless he's trying to make Louisville look better so the ACC takes them instead of us.

Hmmmm. The more you analyze someone's omissions the crazier it'll make you. I guess we'll know sometime in the next few years what all these statements have meant.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... we are all reaching. Grasping at straws.

I am with y'all.

Reaction Score
this is worse than biblical exegesis.

I listened to the press conference very carefully. Let me put it this way - it seemed like Aresco went out of his way not to mention UConn. Same with the President of Tulane - who is a UConn alum and mentioned several times that he has Eastern roots and played for a Big East school, but he seemed deliberately trying to avoid saying UConn. I presume it's not because he is ashamed of his degree :)

On the other hand Aresco touted Boise, UL, SJU and GTown on more than one occasion.

Anyway, the doubters can keep doubting. I'm really feeling reassured after listening to the press conference.

Reaction Score
I listened to the press conference very carefully. Let me put it this way - it seemed like Aresco went out of his way not to mention UConn. Same with the President of Tulane - who is a UConn alum and mentioned several times that he has Eastern roots and played for a Big East school, but he seemed deliberately trying to avoid saying UConn. I presume it's not because he is ashamed of his degree :)

On the other hand Aresco touted Boise, UL, SJU and GTown on more than one occasion.

Anyway, the doubters can keep doubting. I'm really feeling reassured after listening to the press conference.

... and Aresco is from CT.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Someone...turn on the Cat Signal!

We need Conspiracy Kitty to weigh in!

Reaction Score
We've carried this conference for 15 years while so called big east titans fall short time and time again while playing a zone defense because they don't have the ability to defend like real men.

You bet your ass he knows we're gone. Whether 99% gone or 100% gone, that' the only question.

Reaction Score
Mentioning Louisville may have been the most important statement but i think that is more of a perception that Uconn is leaving the BE. He didn't want to be that player who gets drafted, tells how excited he is to a member of team X and then immediately gets traded to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom