After further consideration... | The Boneyard

After further consideration...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I was pretty annoyed at the bashing and complete tear down of some of our players by some posters from last night, a thought came to me this morning...

A number of those folks are not our usual women's basketball Boneyard posters. They are - GASP - fans and posters on the men's basketball and the football BY boards.

There is a different standard on those boards. Constructive criticism and gentleness is not their posting standard. Cold, hard, brutal "honesty" - in their minds - is their modus operandi. Doesn't make me like it any more today than I did last night. And perhaps some of their commentary is colored by the fact that they don't care for the women's game that is played under the rim.

But...they are watching. That is something of a positive.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I was pretty annoyed at the bashing and complete tear down of some of our players by some posters from last night, a thought came to me this morning...

A number of those folks are not our usual women's basketball Boneyard posters. They are - GASP - fans and posters on the men's basketball and the football BY boards.

There is a different standard on those boards. Constructive criticism and gentleness is not their posting standard. Cold, hard, brutal "honesty" - in their minds - is their modus operandi. Doesn't make me like it any more today than I did last night. And perhaps some of their commentary is colored by the fact that they don't care for the women's game that is played under the rim.

But...they are watching. That is something of a positive.

Wow - you must have very gentle Men's and FB boards. The Rutger's Men's board apparently revolves around firing the coach, how terrible the team is and CVS should be fired. The RU FB board revolves around how the team has never been to a BCS bowl, the HC with a winning first season should be fired, all the mistakes he made all year and how CVS should be fired. And none of them watch - some criticism of CVS is based on prior year situations and didn't even happen this season (small roster, locked out of locker-room).

There are numerous multi-sport posters who don't post or read those RU boards, unfortunately the Women's RU board has not been very pleasant of late, either. There IS a premium all-sport board that my wife reads that is much more informative and non-nasty, apparently.

On a lighter note, there is apparently someone named "Rutgers Al", who is to RU Football what Tony is to UConn WBB.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Excellent point, Chapette, re: comments coming from the Men's BB and FB boards. With the men's season coming to a (bitter) end due to PS ban, they must still need to feed. And any o of "our girls" could probably take those posters and wipe the court with them....but if they watch they may learn to appreciate the WBB game, too.....

Reaction Score
Excellent point, Chapette, re: comments coming from the Men's BB and FB boards. With the men's season coming to a (bitter) end due to PS ban, they must still need to feed. And any o of "our girls" could probably take those posters and wipe the court with them....but if they watch they may learn to appreciate the WBB game, too.....

"Ours girls" need to wipe the floor with the opposing teams girls, not the fans.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The First Amendment gives all of us the right to express almost all of our thoughts openly and freely. Add to this the relative anonymity granted to posters in forums like this and you have an unsurpassed opportunity for irresponsible public utterances. Fortunately, only a relatively small segment of the posting population seize this opportunity to be unnecessarily nasty and the rest of us are just stuck with it.

(Permit a digression. One poster, commenting on a blog by John A., suggested that Kaleena should lose 50 lbs. so she could play basketball decently. There must be some prize for such a keen insight.)

I have a personal rule that works for me. I try with all possible care to never post a comment here that I would not be willing to express orally to the person in question. In the case of youthful players, I write nothing that I would not say in person to the student-athlete AND her parents, face-to-face. Now I am on record, so all Boneyarders should feel free to call me out if I come up short.

Reaction Score
On a lighter note, there is apparently someone named "Rutgers Al", who is to RU Football what Tony is to UConn WBB.

Not even close. Both think their team is the greatest in the world, but at least TonyC is starting with a team in the top 5.
If TonyC's comments were about Cincinnati's WCBB, then you could compare him to RutgersAl.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I write nothing that I would not say in person to the student-athlete AND her parents, face-to-face.

But, but, but most are not girls but 21+ years old. Why on earth can't we repeat over and over how they came up short?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
"Ours girls" need to wipe the floor with the opposing teams girls, not the fans.

I take your point, but I was referring to the drive-by fans..the ones in Chapette's OP..the ones with all the vitriol and no real interest in UC WBB.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But, but, but most are not girls but 21+ years old. Why on earth can't we repeat over and over how they came up short?

Well, seemingly endless and repetitive critical comments have often been made, most notably here recently after the ND game. The harsh critics seem to have a combination of unlimited stamina but limited vocabulary, which makes for difficult reading.

That said, your point is well taken, but you must consider the source. My comments are made by the father of six daughters, so I have a different perspective than most.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, seemingly endless and repetitive critical comments have often been made, most notably here recently after the ND game. The harsh critics seem to have a combination of unlimited stamina but limited vocabulary, which makes for difficult reading.

That said, your point is well taken, but you must consider the source. My comments are made by the father of six daughters, so I have a different perspective than most.

I'm with you Dave. Just a little sarcasm. I read somewhere that Doty is 24 and that she gets paid to perform via her scholarship and therefore is open for all this repeated critisism.

I have 1 daughter, a daughter-in-law and 2 granddaughters. If they were treated as some treat the players here, I would be in a few fights. And I don't fight, so I'd probably get my butt kicked..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom