After Five Years, American Athletic Conference Finds Stability But Enters Crucial Stage | The Boneyard

After Five Years, American Athletic Conference Finds Stability But Enters Crucial Stage

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
After five years, American Athletic Conference finds...

When Mike Aresco looks back at the past five-plus years, he points to any one thing that could have blown the whole plan up.

As the conference realignment dust settled in late 2012, seven non-FBS schools in the Big East left the league and took the name with them. Aresco, as commissioner, had a group of 10 FBS schools and no identity. The American Athletic Conference was formed, but how long was it really going to last?

“I was always optimistic that if we could stay together — which was a big if — that we would have a good future,” Aresco told The Athletic at AAC meetings in Dallas in late May. “We had to rebrand, find a new name, a new logo. A lot of that was very difficult. To go through that, any little thing that flares up could destroy the conference.”

For that period of time, it seemed that college sports was on the brink of a tectonic shift. Would the Big 12 be ripped apart? Would the top conferences leave the NCAA? Would the new AAC get torn up when Rutgers and Louisville left and Boise State backed out of an agreement to join?

With five years in the books, the waters have calmed, and the AAC has reached a defining moment.

It has proved to be the most successful Group of 5 conference, especially in football, going so far as to brand itself as a “Power 6” conference. But its television contracts expire after the 2019-20 academic year, and negotiations for a new deal are set to begin soon. Television plans were a major topic at the recent conference meetings.

If the league wants to reach its goal of becoming a major autonomous conference, it needs a much better broadcast deal, and everyone involved knows it — especially Aresco, who is a former ESPN and CBS executive.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
As the conference realignment dust settled in late 2012, seven non-FBS schools in the Big East left the league and took the name with them.
Well, you sold them the name but otherwise...

Reaction Score
It's been great for most of its members, but a disaster for 3.

Reaction Score
After five years, American Athletic Conference finds...

When Mike Aresco looks back at the past five-plus years, he points to any one thing that could have blown the whole plan up.

As the conference realignment dust settled in late 2012, seven non-FBS schools in the Big East left the league and took the name with them. Aresco, as commissioner, had a group of 10 FBS schools and no identity. The American Athletic Conference was formed, but how long was it really going to last?

“I was always optimistic that if we could stay together — which was a big if — that we would have a good future,” Aresco told The Athletic at AAC meetings in Dallas in late May. “We had to rebrand, find a new name, a new logo. A lot of that was very difficult. To go through that, any little thing that flares up could destroy the conference.”

For that period of time, it seemed that college sports was on the brink of a tectonic shift. Would the Big 12 be ripped apart? Would the top conferences leave the NCAA? Would the new AAC get torn up when Rutgers and Louisville left and Boise State backed out of an agreement to join?

With five years in the books, the waters have calmed, and the AAC has reached a defining moment.

It has proved to be the most successful Group of 5 conference, especially in football, going so far as to brand itself as a “Power 6” conference. But its television contracts expire after the 2019-20 academic year, and negotiations for a new deal are set to begin soon. Television plans were a major topic at the recent conference meetings.

If the league wants to reach its goal of becoming a major autonomous conference, it needs a much better broadcast deal, and everyone involved knows it — especially Aresco, who is a former ESPN and CBS executive.

I have confidence that Aresco Will negotiate a great TV deal but just in case, I am sending him a book to help brush up on his negotiating skills! LOL!

IMG_0529.JPG

Reaction Score
It's been great for most of its members, but a disaster for 3.
1 in Particular. The other 2 were Johnny come latelies to the Big East, bit I get your point.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
PAC 12 earns 28 mil per team through its TV deal IIRC, and they’re the lowest earner in P5. If I’m the AAC, my goal would be 20 mil.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You think a 900% increase is reasonable? Aresco should bring in you the room with him.

EN3f.gif

If pac 12 is getting 28, 20 is a serious difference between us and P5 money. We certainly deserve more than 12 per.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’ll be impressed with anything more than 3x our current number with no loss of tv exposure on real channels for all sports and the a little help firming up our bowl line up.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
Compared to what we expected in 2012, the conference gets:

1) an "A-" in football,
2) a "B+" in baseball, and
3) a "D" in basketball.

I'm being nice with the "D".

it would be an A- if we played like we should...memphis being good during those years would have helped as well.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
If pac 12 is getting 28, 20 is a serious difference between us and P5 money. We certainly deserve more than 12 per.
we Deserve to be in a p5 conference...But sometimes you dont get what you deserve...The same thing is going to happen with our media deal...we should have 10-12 mil...we will get 5-8 mil per school..

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
we Deserve to be in a p5 conference...But sometimes you dont get what you deserve...The same thing is going to happen with our media deal...we should have 10-12 mil...we will get 5-8 mil per school..

We’re getting that right now on an awful contract. We’ll see a substantial increase. UConn gets like 12 now. I’m hoping we get 18, that’d be fine

Reaction Score
...The same thing is going to happen with our media deal...we should have 10-12 mil...we will get 5-8 mil per school..
We’re getting that right now on an awful contract. We’ll see a substantial increase. UConn gets like 12 now. I’m hoping we get 18, that’d be fine

From the article in this thread: AAC revenue report illustrates league's need for more lucrative television contract in next cycle

>>According to the records, the American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group.

The league received more than $20 million in revenue from its television and radio rights shared over a variety of networks, including ESPN and CBS Sports. The conference’s current media rights deal ends in 2020.<<

>>In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.<<

Reaction Score
From the article in this thread: AAC revenue report illustrates league's need for more lucrative television contract in next cycle

>>According to the records, the American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group.

The league received more than $20 million in revenue from its television and radio rights shared over a variety of networks, including ESPN and CBS Sports. The conference’s current media rights deal ends in 2020.<<

>>In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.<<

Why does USF get more than UConn and both more than Cincinnati?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
PAC 12 earns 28 mil per team through its TV deal IIRC, and they’re the lowest earner in P5. If I’m the AAC, my goal would be 20 mil.

20 for 12 schools is probably a good guess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So less than they're getting now? I don't see it.

It’s a lot closer than 20 million each.

They might get a few pennies more and we’ll get to spend $5 each on ESPN+.

Reaction Score
It’s a lot closer than 20 million each.

They might get a few pennies more and we’ll get to spend $5 each on ESPN+.
If UConn was making decent money in the conference I'd shell out 5 bucks for ESPN plus, but if it's for them to continue the transformation to full fledged mid major status, forget that.

I'm hoping they end up somewhere else than ESPN plus.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If UConn was making decent money in the conference I'd shell out 5 bucks for ESPN plus, but if it's for them to continue the transformation to full fledged mid major status, forget that.

I'm hoping they end up somewhere else than ESPN plus.

Literally no reason to buy that garbage, just go to Reddit and search cfb streams. You’ll be able to watch whatever you want for free

Reaction Score
Literally no reason to buy that garbage, just go to Reddit and search cfb streams. You’ll be able to watch whatever you want for free
I would watch via kodi, but thanks for three heads up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Great my spirtual advisor is now encouraging people to steal.

You’d think Yale divinity would have the frigging Ten Commandments posted.

Charging me 5 bucks a month to watch UConn vs Tulane on my laptop is theft

You must not have seen the other post where I volunteered to be UConn footballs bag man if you can supply the cash

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom