After 4 games? | The Boneyard

After 4 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are we further along then you thought after our last game last year? I'm pretty happy so far. I was really hoping we could have pulled out the Navy win. Was shocked we were even keeping the game close @ Mizzou. I know a lot of yarders to start the year were saying it would be a success going 2-2. I know a lot said 1-3 and we would have lost to Nova. Looking at old posts ALOT of people thought we stood no chance with Mizzou. So are you guys happy with the direction so far thru a 1/3 of the season? I have a lot more faith in Coach Diaco now. Last year I thought Diaco was gonna be just as bad as PP. So glad hes breathing new life into this program. Hes got these kids fighting on every single play. #Bleedblue

Reaction Score
I said before the season started, and I still believe it, that if we could start 2-0 and get 1 win in the next 4 (Mizzou, Navy, BYU and UCF) that we could realistically be looking at a bowl bid.

Anyone who is slightly knowledgeable about Football and has followed the Huskies can tell we've turned a corner.

At the moment I am happy. If we can win one of the next two, I'll be thrilled.

Reaction Score
I'm very happy. We're noticeably improved and are trending up. I'm not as interested in the game results in determining the success of this season but I think a bowl game is within reach. I would never have thought I'd say that after 4 games. And Diaco, while not perfect, is MUCH better this year. No more of the crazy talk we heard last year.

I'm giddy.

Reaction Score
Last year UConn had no chance against BYU and Boise, squeeked out a disgusting win against a mediocre FCS team in Stony Brook, and could have been shut out by USF if not for a Byron Jones interception return at the end of the 1st half and a very late TD in the 4th Q.

This year UConn handled a better FCS team in Villanova and beat an Army team that they lost to last year. By most accounts the games were controlled by UConn and the final scores were not indicative of how close the games were. The Missouri game was a pleasant surprise, yet so disappointing at the end. Hopefully Navy continues to impress and that loss looks better over time. The consensus was that last year's team would have been pummeled by Navy.

Visible improvements on both sides of the ball. Fewer turnovers, fewer big plays allowed, fewer penalties, much fewer three and outs on offense. All tremendous positives for a very young team.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the team through four games. If you told me at the start of the year we'd be 2-2 and extremely competitive in the two losses, I'd have thought you were crazy. This is a new team and this program is turning the corner before our eyes.

With that said, we have a long way to go. The OLine, although improved, has to be better if we want to go anywhere. The running backs not named Arkeel Newsome have also been uninspiring. Some of the coaching decisions have really cost us, but they're correctable. HCBD has shown that he learned from a lot of his mistakes last year, and I'm confident that he'll get it right. Let's not forget that this is a second year head coach of a team that needs to remember how to win games again. They'll get there.

The most important thing is that all of the issues are correctable. The culture overhaul is done and we look and play like a football team again. There's a buzz about this team that's been missing for years. This is fun again.

Reaction Score
Since Diaco purposely dumped last season. It's hard to tell how much progress has been made.

The real difference is we have competent QB play this year. Not great but much. much better than 2014.

One obvious area of improvement is ball security. To this point its a lot better.

Reaction Score
Better than last year... sure. Still too many mental errors by both player and coach. Mizzou was a win that UConn lost..the Tigers didn't win that. I'm especially disappointed in the special teams play. I thought that would have been a lot better than it has been. Maybe one area of the team that has taken a step back almost. QB play much better and I'm very happy to see Sherriffs gaining first downs with his feet. That didn't happen last year. Defense looks good, not quite ready to give them an A yet(Obi, Foley, Stewart cost them at particular times) but they are close. Should be interesting to see how much the altitude(4550 ft above sea level as compared to 59 ft for E. Hartford) and time zone effect their play Friday night. As long as the offensive line continues to improve and Sherriffs stays healthy there is no reason UConn can't get to 7 wins.

Reaction Score
I'm very happy. We're noticeably improved and are trending up. I'm not as interested in the game results in determining the success of this season but I think a bowl game is within reach. I would never have thought I'd say that after 4 games. And Diaco, while not perfect, is MUCH better this year. No more of the crazy talk we heard last year.

I'm giddy.
well said. I'm very excited for next year, even this year as the team grows. But next year we should be VERY strong on the O-line. Our offense as whole should be very good. Our defense loses a couple good players. Our linebackers will take a hit but very excited for Levenberry, Chris Britton I think will be a stud. I know its spring game but he always looks like a man among boys out there. Don't really see why he isn't seeing the field. Our special teams should be "special" Like you I'am very giddy for the future. 6-6 this year would be such an accomplishment. And show the national audience were not the joke we have been for past couple years.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The biggest reason for optimism is our young talent at the skill positions. BS is clearly the guy and we have him for 2 more years after this season. We're starting to see Arkeel used all over the formation and hes definitely a weapon in space; and one of ours to boot. Beal has made some nice grabs for a true frosh. There are some nice pieces to build around and so long as we keep making incremental progress in the trenches we can be back to making noise soon.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm very happy with where we are. If nothing else, I'm optimistic going into every game which is a complete reversal of last year where I'd given up hope (for the most part). Dare I say we're a few dropped passes and mental errors from being 3-1 (winning Mizzou) without an outside shot at 4-0. I couldn't go to the Navy game so I'm not sure if the outcome of that one could have been turned on a few key plays.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Better than I expected, and I'll put a great majority of the improvement on the QB play. I wish/hope they continue to open up the playbook for him.

Reaction Score
I guess so.

I mean, I still don't believe in moral victories and I think it was a huge missed opportunity that we didn't win at Mizzou despite holding them to so few points. But at least watching the games is tolerable at this point and isn't as boring as it was last year.

We have a long way to go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn is also putting more plays on film for teams to prepare to defend. I've said several times that teams could stuff the box and blitz all day against UConn with impunity.

The Fake FG that should have been a TD, the fake punt, the pop up onside kick are all examples of teams not being able to sellout and not get punished.

The missed seam route to Max against Mizzou, the flea flicker against Navy, the WR screens are all plays that teams have to account for with defensive reads and positioning.

This year it requires an opponent to game prep and play disciplined football for 60 minutes to beat UConn. That hasn't been the case since 2010.

Reaction Score
We have a long way to go.

Long way to go? What team have you been watching. We were a few mis-executed offensive plays from being 4-0. This team is very close to being excellent. We're improving every day. It's still very likely that we'll be playing for the AAC Championship on Dec 5--probably a rematch with Navy. We will beat BYU tomorrow night and should run the table from there.

Reaction Score
Long way to go? What team have you been watching. We were a few mis-executed offensive plays from being 4-0. This team is very close to being excellent. We're improving every day. It's still very likely that we'll be playing for the AAC Championship on Dec 5--probably a rematch with Navy. We will beat BYU tomorrow night and should run the table from there.

Cohen you magnificent bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32