After 12 NFL seasons, former UConn star Orlovsky weighs future (CT Post) | The Boneyard

After 12 NFL seasons, former UConn star Orlovsky weighs future (CT Post)

Reaction Score
So Im sitting here in the great state of Florida and my brother in law sent me this article. Being that I do not follow UConn much and never RE I wanted to clear up some of the falsehoods in this article. I thank God Dan had Joe Benanto his high school head coach. Dan ran on Benanto fumes his first year aat UC
Where the story is completely false is when Jeff Roy who like I was an assistant at Shelton says Michigan offered him at a workout. Not true. I think I can say i was in the inner circle at that point(Roy was not) and the only school who offered Dan on the spot was Randy Edsell and UC
Minn coach did offer going over the GWB after a work out at Milford academy where Dan was asked to QB some of the wideout looking to go to a big time school. The coach at Minn loved his arm strength not the coach at Mich
The only one who wanted to go to UC was Dan. I make no bones about it. Had he gone to Purdue would he have had better coaching,better facilities, more opportunities ? maybe!
Edsell sold him hook line and sinker and the rest is history so to say!
Just sayin!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So Im sitting here in the great state of Florida and my brother in law sent me this article. Being that I do not follow UConn much and never RE I wanted to clear up some of the falsehoods in this article. I thank God Dan had Joe Benanto his high school head coach. Dan ran on Benanto fumes his first year aat UC
Where the story is completely false is when Jeff Roy who like I was an assistant at Shelton says Michigan offered him at a workout. Not true. I think I can say i was in the inner circle at that point(Roy was not) and the only school who offered Dan on the spot was Randy Edsell and UC
Minn coach did offer going over the GWB after a work out at Milford academy where Dan was asked to QB some of the wideout looking to go to a big time school. The coach at Minn loved his arm strength not the coach at Mich
The only one who wanted to go to UC was Dan. I make no bones about it. Had he gone to Purdue would he have had better coaching,better facilities, more opportunities ? maybe!
Edsell sold him hook line and sinker and the rest is history so to say!
Just sayin!
I know what you are saying. Edsall absolutely ruined the kid! I think he had a shot at a couple of years in the NFL or at least Canadian football if he had decent coaching!

Reaction Score
Do t think you understood what ian saying if for instance he went to Purdue under Greg Olsen he s playing in Big 10 against better opponents which will make better
No guarantee he would have had the same playing time bit playing likes of Mich and Ohio state better than syracuse and kent state
my post is to set the record straight i some errors in the article

Reaction Score
Do t think you understood what ian saying if for instance he went to Purdue under Greg Olsen he s playing in Big 10 against better opponents which will make better
No guarantee he would have had the same playing time bit playing likes of Mich and Ohio state better than syracuse and kent state

Problem with Purdue was Kyle Orton was in the same recruiting class as Dan. Not saying he couldn't compete but seeing the field would have been much tougher for Dan.

UConn was a very good (if somewhat unconventional at the time) move. He took center stage just as UConn football had the spotlight shone on it. He got gobs of paying time and became a state hero (which would not have happened in the B10). In return UConn got a kid who handled himself and represented the university with class and maturity. He then went on to a long NFL career. There was never a sniff of trouble around him. My guess is that you can attribute that to being surrounded by a good support system on and off the field in Shelton and in Storrs. In retrospect, IMHO, it seems he made the best possible decision.

Reaction Score

Should I ridicule you for your errors in your post that are beyond easy to spot? And like most opinion pieces, this has a point of view but this one is about a kid from CT who chose to stay in CT. Your response although maybe it's not meant to be - speaks from a high position down to us - in a word that is arrogance.

Okay you do realize some of our competition in the Big East was ranked, right? And playing for Purdue under that football power which had no "O"-line for which to protect him, might just as likely ended his career as it is too have improved it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Should I ridicule you for your errors in your post that are beyond easy to spot? And like most opinion pieces, this has a point of view but this one is about a kid from CT who chose to stay in CT. Your response although maybe it's not meant to be - speaks from a high position down to us - in a word that is arrogance.

Okay you do realize some of our competition in the Big East was ranked, right? And playing for Purdue under that football power which had no "O"-line for which to protect him, might just as likely ended his career as it is too have improved it.

Ummm... you clearly do not know who @Cubbybear is and the view point/"firsthand"experience he responds from.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see him coach a high school team in CT. But if HCRE offered him to be UConn QB coach, I'd accept. Let his triplets grow up to in CT.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see him coach a high school team in CT. But if HCRE offered him to be UConn QB coach, I'd accept. Let his triplets grow up to in CT.
So bring the triplets and leave his little girl in Pa lol

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought this part really is telling about his real character. It was in regards to his infamous safety play...

“I have friends and family who joke about it with me,” Orlovsky said. “If I had played four years in the NFL and that was kind of the ending of my career type thing, I think it would have been harder for me to look back on. … But I had played for almost a decade later. … I’m more proud of the fact that I didn’t let that hold me back from continuing to play. I didn’t let it define me. I didn’t let it kind of bury me mentally.”

He really is an impressive guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom