ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 9 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Finally got back to BK to try the spicy Ch'King sammich. I ordered the classic and was accidently given a deluxe (w/ added lettuce and tomato)!!

The potato bun was hefty and a great holder of the decadence within. The "spice-glazed breaded chicken filet was great. The spice kick made me pause a couple of times which was nice. The l/t and pickles were chilled

Great sammich.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
0EC59782-18C1-4BDB-AB98-4D9752105A9B.jpeg

Gave PDQ a try while visiting my parents in Florida. I had higher hopes but just didn’t quite live up to them. Not sure if we didn’t get the freshest chicken but it was over cooked/dry. If it were hot and fresh out the kitchen it would have been better. Not on Popeyes level though.

Next up, have to find a Zaxby’s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Something I'm gonna try next week when I have a day off...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Popeye's just opened in Groton.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Something I'm gonna try next week when I have a day off...

That does have a great seasoned flour mixture- salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. Boom. Done. don't over think it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ok I’ve gotten a bunch of pm’s questioning my methodology. How can I be so sure about the top of my list when they were eaten over such a long period. “Different sandwiches at different times, what’s your control factor?” It was a fair ( albeit petty) point. So tonight i stepped up. I took a trip down route 82 in Norwich where within a 1/2 mile you can get every sandwich known to man. I could’ve added mcdonalds and Wendy’s to this but let’s face it they are not top tier contenders. So let’s see who has it. And who doesn’t.

7B89B14C-5C8B-4199-9CC5-0BEE07CD3C97.jpeg

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok let’s see who can pick out the lineup. I scrambled them up.

12A07ECC-D675-4438-99BE-AEA35D631526.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought I'd chime in. The last two chicken sandwiches I had, including last Saturday while trying to find a place in Yarmouth, were processed patties. Both were independent places, or at least quasi-independent and we were frankly surprised that what we got was nowhere near as good as a chicken sandwich at BK, or even Wendy's for that matter. Had eaten at one of the two before and the chicken sandwich was previously a real breaded chicken breast. The last time it seemed like a school lunch chicken patty from 1983.

I don't know if it's due to food shortages or something else. Has anyone else experienced this? At present, I'm not sure I'd order a chicken sandwich anywhere but BK or Popeyes (I have no KFC). I'll stick with burgers.

Reaction Score
I thought I'd chime in. The last two chicken sandwiches I had, including last Saturday while trying to find a place in Yarmouth, were processed patties. Both were independent places, or at least quasi-independent and we were frankly surprised that what we got was nowhere near as good as a chicken sandwich at BK, or even Wendy's for that matter. Had eaten at one of the two before and the chicken sandwich was previously a real breaded chicken breast. The last time it seemed like a school lunch chicken patty from 1983.

I don't know if it's due to food shortages or something else. Has anyone else experienced this? At present, I'm not sure I'd order a chicken sandwich anywhere but BK or Popeyes (I have no KFC). I'll stick with burgers.
We were just in Eastham a few weeks back and found that the prices spiked and less quantity. Bought lobster rolls and they used be packed with claw meat but not this time. I guess chicken would be the same there but you are at the Cape though its hit or miss there. Even Arnold's was so so.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
We were just in Eastham a few weeks back and found that the prices spiked and less quantity. Bought lobster rolls and they used be packed with claw meat but not this time. I guess chicken would be the same there But you are at the Cape though its hit or miss there. Even Arnold's was so so.

Lobster is crazy expensive this year. For a few reasons. It happens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lobster is crazy expensive this year. For a few reasons. It happens.

Kind of strange when last summer they couldn't give it away with all the restaurants closed. They authorized them to sell direct from boat to public in RI and MA.

Reaction Score
Kind of strange when last summer they couldn't give it away with all the restaurants closed. They authorized them to sell direct from boat to public in RI and MA.
Trying to make up for lost revenue from covid last year I would believe.

August_West

Reaction Score

Bad seasons happen, and also there is a major shortage of seasonal help willing to work the Maine and Canadian Lobster boats.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That does have a great seasoned flour mixture- salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. Boom. Done. don't over think it.
Made a couple tonight. The umami mayo kicks ass. Thought I had regular dills, but turns out I only had Grillo hot dill spears, which actually worked great for our tastes. Issues I had with the recipe were: too much salt, too much wasted flour - you could use about half as much, which would probably highlight the black pepper and cayenne more if you kept that the same. After totally coating the breasts twice and pressing the flour mix in, about half of it was still on the plate. Also, not confident I'll be able to re-use the oil for anything even after filtering, so that adds to the unit cost.

But, it was a terrific sandwich, and I'm someone who's always been ambivalent at best about chicken sandwiches, especially ones using breast meat. Wife also called it a winner, and she's a big Chik-Fil-A fan.

Served it with a cucumber gazpacho since I'm overwhelmed with cukes from the garden at the moment.

Would make again with the adjustments noted above.

Screenshot 2021-08-05 20.39.03.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Made a couple tonight. The umami mayo kicks ass. Thought I had regular dills, but turns out I only had Grillo hot dill spears, which actually worked great for our tastes. Issues I had with the recipe were: too much salt, too much wasted flour - you could use about half as much, which would probably highlight the black pepper and cayenne more if you kept that the same. After totally coating the breasts twice and pressing the flour mix in, about half of it was still on the plate. Also, not confident I'll be able to re-use the oil for anything even after filtering, so that adds to the unit cost.

But, it was a terrific sandwich, and I'm someone who's always been ambivalent at best about chicken sandwiches, especially ones using breast meat. Wife also called it a winner, and she's a big Chik-Fil-A fan.

Served it with a cucumber gazpacho since I'm overwhelmed with cukes from the garden at the moment.

Would make again with the adjustments noted above.

View attachment 68941
You lost me on mayo. You referred to it as umami mayo, which is a fancy pants way of saying, flavored mayo. Which is a fancy pants way of saying your chicken couldn't hold up on its own without a "sauce".

If your chicken sandwich needs a sauce, you've already lost.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You lost me on mayo. You referred to it as umami mayo, which is a fancy pants way of saying, flavored mayo. Which is a fancy pants way of saying your chicken couldn't hold up on its own without a "sauce".

If your chicken sandwich needs a sauce, you've already lost.
Says the guy who's "coffee" beer wasn't coffee enough.

I don't know if it "needs" a sauce as I didn't try it without, but I can unequivocally say it's a terrific sandwich with the sauce.

Last edited:

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The Chick-fil-A sauces are offered for sale at Stew Leonard's in Norwalk. Never had anything but a sandwich there so can't opine on the quality but supposedly some flavors have a cult following

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom