Adjustments v.s. Temple | The Boneyard

Adjustments v.s. Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What adjustments do people think we need to make v.s. Temple this time around? In the first game, UConn held Temple to 39% shooting, but Temple did hit 7-18 from deep. Conversely, UConn shot 31%, and was 4-20 from three.

I think the biggest thing is to feed Miller a ton in this game. He has 18 points and 7 rebounds in the first game, but we really went away from him in the 2nd half. Don't think Temple has a great matchup for him as he is too quick for Bond and too big for their other forwards. Amazing to think we lost by only 2 when you consider Hamilton/Purvis/Gibbs were 7-31.

On the defensive side, we have to take Devin Coleman away. Had 14 points in the first game, but he is the reason they beat SMU when he had 23 points on 7 threes. Make DeCosey work to get his points (had 15 in the first game) but don't let Coleman go off from 3. Would put Purvis on him.

Really feel if we play our game on Thursday we will walk out of there with a win. Temple did a great job frustrating Hamilton the last game, but they will have to adjust their game plan. If they play him the same way, it will be lob city for Amida.

Reaction Score
This isn't really an adjustment, but i want to see some fast break points. I think we got zero last time.

Reaction Score
Our offense was stagnant the first game. There were a lot of wasted possessions and outside, low percentage shots late in the clock. I think we will be better with Jalen running the offense this time. Get the ball inside to Miller, better execution by Hamilton and hopefully better shooting and Adams and Purvis take the ball to the basket. Play inside out. Get Gibbs his shots off penetrate and dish or catch and shoot. Keep him off the ball.

Reaction Score
Need better perimeter D and need to shoot better. I agree on the fast break points. One less three for Temple and 4-6 points on the break and that's a 7-9 point swing.

Reaction Score
Only one adjustment I take from the first game. Score some points and make some shots. Temple scored 55, FIVE FIVE. We have to win games when the other team gets 55, so play defense like that again and just play better offense as we have been, and then just win.

Reaction Score
As the OP said, the shooting was atrocious that game, I think we need to play better but honestly WE NEED TO HIT SHOTS!

Even when most of the team is shooting horribly, it usually seems were getting good shots off, so I like that and I think it will translate into wins. These guys can't be that awful 3-point shooters

Reaction Score
Brimah is the adjustment here. Bond can bully him but he is undersized and will still get his shot blocked. +/- 3 Dham lobs to Brimah?

Only problem is Bond scored all of his points from the perimeter, he actually shot out of his butt early remember. AB won't effect that much but he will hopefully on Coleman and others who did get tot he hole so that should help for sure. Hopefully AB back and Jalen running O is enough to take the 2nd game in Philly.

Reaction Score
Dham needs to go strong to the rim. No fading away or leaning. 3s need to come within the flow of the offense. Inside out with Miller. If Temple plays zone flash Dham to the foul line. Biggest adjustment though is Adams being primary ball handler. He needs to continue moving the ball and breaking down his man when he can.

Can't get beat off the dribble at will for layups or open kicks. We have put to much pressure on our bigs who are foul prone.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What adjustments do people think we need to make v.s. Temple this time around? In the first game, UConn held Temple to 39% shooting, but Temple did hit 7-18 from deep. Conversely, UConn shot 31%, and was 4-20 from three.

I think the biggest thing is to feed Miller a ton in this game. He has 18 points and 7 rebounds in the first game, but we really went away from him in the 2nd half. Don't think Temple has a great matchup for him as he is too quick for Bond and too big for their other forwards. Amazing to think we lost by only 2 when you consider Hamilton/Purvis/Gibbs were 7-31.

On the defensive side, we have to take Devin Coleman away. Had 14 points in the first game, but he is the reason they beat SMU when he had 23 points on 7 threes. Make DeCosey work to get his points (had 15 in the first game) but don't let Coleman go off from 3. Would put Purvis on him.

Really feel if we play our game on Thursday we will walk out of there with a win. Temple did a great job frustrating Hamilton the last game, but they will have to adjust their game plan. If they play him the same way, it will be lob city for Amida.
As far as I am concerned, stop Coleman. He has been Mr. Clutch all year. Take him away and I like our chances. Close game, time running out, expect Coleman to get the ball. Behind the arc. Seen it far to many times this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Only one adjustment I take from the first game. Score some points and make some shots. Temple scored 55, FIVE FIVE. We have to win games when the other team gets 55, so play defense like that again and just play better offense as we have been, and then just win.

This. Any time things aren't going our way the rest of the season, Ollie should be telling the kids in the huddle to play their asses off on the defensive end, and everything will come together on the other end. One thing I like that I've seen in the last few games is that we've done a great job getting out and running off of bad shots by the other team, and also we've done a terrific job turning the ball over. I'm very confident about this game.

Reaction Score
The adjustment on offense as it is with defense is Brimah. The last game Hamilton drove too deep several times and the shots were either blocked or exceptionally poor without having Brimah to bail him out with a lob or occupying bodies for an easy kick out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
No changes. The team has been playing much better lately and I wouldn't tinker with it. Play the way they can and have been and the victory will follow.

Reaction Score
Dunphy said after last game they were prepared for DHam. I assume he meant they were ready for his behind the back, always go right and try a lob.

I think we need to let Jalen run the team and we need more dribble penetration.

Agree and with Jalen running it more and more our offense becomes less obvious. I mean let's be honest DHam dribbling form he top of the key leaves it very predictable on what is going to happen next. The less DHam is the "PG" the less predictable we become and that's a good thing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The biggest adjustment has already been made. Brimah is back. The team has been playing better perimeter defense since he first went out and now Hamilton has his first option back (alley-oop to #35) to go along with the drive. Also UConn now starts a true point guard, Miller has emerged from his shell, and teams have no response for Purvis off the bench. Last week, UConn became a hard out moving forward.

Reaction Score
The biggest adjustment has already been made. Brimah is back. The team has been playing better perimeter defense since he first went out and now Hamilton has his first option back (alley-oop to #35) to go along with the drive. Also UConn now starts a true point guard, Miller has emerged from his shell, and teams have no response for Purvis off the bench. Last week, UConn became a hard out moving forward.

The lob being back is overrated as he scored most of his points with AB in the bench most recently if you get to watch again. Reality is if AB coming back and the thought of the lob just helped at all with his confidence then whatever works. But for sure the Adams insertion is the main change if he plays consistently this team will be much better. And you're right, Miller is a problem now for the opponents down low, which really helps DHam even more I believe. Now they need to cling to him and defend Shonn as he has certainly found some confidence.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The lob being back is overrated as he scored most of his points with AB in the bench most recently if you get to watch again. Reality is if AB coming back and the thought of the lob just helped at all with his confidence then whatever works. But for sure the Adams insertion is the main change if he plays consistently this team will be much better. And you're right, Miller is a problem now for the opponents down low, which really helps DHam even more I believe. Now they need to cling to him and defend Shonn as he has certainly found some confidence.
The Lob may be overrated only because it connects a few times a game, but the success rate is high and the mere threat of the lob is ever-present now with Brimah's return. There was just about zero threat of a lob while he was out, and Hamilton tried to do too much on his own.

That is only half the equation though. I think UConn relied too much on Brimah early in the season, and their perimeter defense improved while he was out. Now that he is back in the middle, the D should really tighten up. IMO, UConn beats 'Cuse and Gonzaga if they play them now (disregarding that UConn would not have played the Zags had they beaten 'Cuse.).

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Only problem is Bond scored all of his points from the perimeter, he actually shot out of his butt early remember. AB won't effect that much but he will hopefully on Coleman and others who did get tot he hole so that should help for sure. Hopefully AB back and Jalen running O is enough to take the 2nd game in Philly.
AB will actually affect this quite a bit. Knowing he's behind them to block shots gives the rest of the team more confidence on guarding the perimeter.

Reaction Score
AB will actually affect this quite a bit. Knowing he's behind them to block shots gives the rest of the team more confidence on guarding the perimeter.

Agree and I know everyone thinks I am pointing at AB when I say anything I am not. But they've been playing really good defense for a while now and as you say, him going out may have helped them understand the need to do so. Now that he's back there is no doubt he brings something to the table on the defensive end, but you have to be happy that he only played 23 minutes in the last 2 games and they still showed no letdown on D. Reality is his biggest impact on the defense may have been him getting hurt and I mean that in the kindest way.

Reaction Score
Our team is on a mini roll with great defense and diverse scoring right now so I think Temple is probably very concerned as to how they are going to adjust and deal with us. Not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom