Adjusting expectations for this seasons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adjusting expectations for this seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn just needs to execute and get some turnovers. I don't see any one team as unbeatable on the schedule "though USF" is pretty close to that. UConn could win 5 more and can lose 5 more. I hope for the first part

Reaction Score
9-3 regular season is still there to be had. It's still there to be had! Punch someone in %&king mouth, Huskies...

Problem is today's college football is about speed, not punching someone in the mouth.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What is your definition of mediocrity?

Year 1: 2-10
Year 2: 6-7 and a bowl

A bowl game in year 2 after a 2-10 season?

My definition is having to scratch and claw your way to 6 wins each year. Also, using Diaco's year one as a baseline for anything is bogus because that team could have been better than 2 wins. Granted, not a good team. But everyone knows Diaco was not playing to win in year one, and 2 wins was a product of stripping down everything in the program.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Problem is today's college football is about speed, not punching someone in the mouth.

You ever been punched in the mouth before? You don't run so good after you get punched in the mouth... :eek:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think that means going 5-0 in the division so the AAC record is 5-2 going into to the Tulane game. I think that is a tall order.

More like mission impossible. It's not going to happen with this coach and team. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
You ever been punched in the mouth before? You don't run so good after you get punched in the mouth... :eek:

Thats probably why UConn's offense is so widely imitated. Why sit and watch a boring Houston offense or Louisville or Clemson and so many others. They can't take a punch. Yeah, UConn has figure out this D1 football thing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Thats probably why UConn's offense is so widely imitated. Why sit and watch a boring Houston offense or Louisville or Clemson and so many others. They can't take a punch. Yeah, UConn has figure out this D1 football thing.

What on God's green earth are you talking about???

I've asked UConn to go out there and punch someone in #$king mouth. You've taken offense to that for whatever reason, because you believe that doing so is unlike other successful football teams. This suggests to me that you have no idea what I'm talking about and yet you wish to take this opportunity to vent about something.

Punching someone in @#king mouth means that your OLine and DLine knock the other team around. It means that your linebackers put some people on their backsides. It means your running backs initiate the contact, not just receive the contact. It means your corners knock the hell out of the receivers at the arrival of the ball. It has nothing to do with style of offense or how many points you score or whatever the hell your issue is.

In summation: let's go punch someone in #$king mouth!!!

Reaction Score
What on God's green earth are you talking about???

I've asked UConn to go out there and punch someone in #$king mouth. You've taken offense to that for whatever reason, because you believe that doing so is unlike other successful football teams. This suggests to me that you have no idea what I'm talking about and yet you wish to take this opportunity to vent about something.

Punching someone in @#king mouth means that your OLine and DLine knock the other team around. It means that your linebackers put some people on their backsides. It means your running backs initiate the contact, not just receive the contact. It means your corners knock the hell out of the receivers at the arrival of the ball. It has nothing to do with style of offense or how many points you score or whatever the hell your issue is.

In summation: let's go punch someone in #$king mouth!!!

Not opposed to any of that, but you left out about running backs making defenders miss or being able to bounce outside and avoid taking a "punch in the mouth". I'm taking about a QB, who when he has time, can actually throw to a wide open receiver for a big gain. I also taking about DB's you don't get beat deep again and again and can run with WR's stride for stride. I talking about punt returners who will . . . "return punts". Football is a lot more than a simple "hit 'em again harder". I settle for a quick hitter - a one step drop - get the ball into a playmaker's hands, make a lone defender miss and see you in the end zone.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not opposed to any of that, but you left out about running backs making defenders miss or being able to bounce outside and avoid taking a "punch in the mouth". I'm taking about a QB, who when he has time, can actually throw to a wide open receiver for a big gain. I also taking about DB's you don't get beat deep again and again and can run with WR's stride for stride. I talking about punt returners who will . . . "return punts". Football is a lot more than a simple "hit 'em again harder". I settle for a quick hitter - a one step drop - get the ball into a playmaker's hands, make a lone defender miss and see you in the end zone.

If you remember nothing else about football, I want you to remember this; every play...EVERY PLAY...involves someone getting hit. Every stinking play. Even an extra point. Someone is getting hit. To say that you want an RB to make someone miss means he either got to the second level (the O-LINE hit people), or he's making them miss in the backfield (the D-LINE overwhelmed the O-LINE).

Every play....someone's getting hit...

Reaction Score
When our corners line up 8 to 10 yards back and then get beat deep in every game it really adjusts my expectations. That said I think we find a way to win Saturday.

Reaction Score
In my OP, I was wondering if the loss of Adams has been a significant factor in the change in the overall defense's performance. At today's presser BD pretty much said that.

Reaction Score
If you remember nothing else about football, I want you to remember this; every play...EVERY PLAY...involves someone getting hit. Every stinking play. Even an extra point. Someone is getting hit. To say that you want an RB to make someone miss means he either got to the second level (the O-LINE hit people), or he's making them miss in the backfield (the D-LINE overwhelmed the O-LINE).

Every play....someone's getting hit...

What insight. Football is a contact sport, huh? Who knew. Thanks for belaboring the obvious. Too bad UConn's brand of football doesn't often compare favorably to that play by programs in other parts of the country. Wonder if it because UConn's coaches aren't teaching their players "to punch somebody in $&#ing mouth".

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What insight. Football is a contact sport, huh? Who knew. Thanks for belaboring the obvious. Too bad UConn's brand of football doesn't often compare favorably to that play by programs in other parts of the country. Wonder if it because UConn's coaches aren't teaching their players "to punch somebody in $&#ing mouth".

Well, the last regime didn't with the offense. Zone blinking by the master, GDL. Thanks for your input...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The most disappointing part for me is that we really could/should be 4-1 on our way to 6-7 wins no problem. Now I think we'll be lucky to win 5 games.

Agree we should be 4-1. But winning 7 games is still within reach. As maddening as this season has been, I still see a team that should win every game left on our schedule except maybe USF. They are so close to having it click and suddenly putting it all together.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's the problem! Zone blinking instead of zone blocking!

Damned auto-correct!!! :confused:

Why did I bother to type words when I could have just done this:

images

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In my OP, I was wondering if the loss of Adams has been a significant factor in the change in the overall defense's performance. At today's presser BD pretty much said that.

This is the same BD who called Obi the best safety in the country right?

Reaction Score
We should be 4-1 right now. The question is will the coach learn and adjust.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Hey, Carlo Ponti married Sophia Loren so anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom