Adidas Trial Sentences | The Boneyard

Adidas Trial Sentences

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Makes the NCAA look like a smacked again. If punishment is a deterrent then this may not send the message needed if the reward is worth it.

Reaction Score

Should be fascinating to see how the NCAA bends itself into pretzels to avoid disciplining Kansas, Arizona, etc., the all-time paragons of virtue. Here's a clue from the article that likely foretells the defense each school will offer:

"Gatto, Code and Dawkins were convicted of conspiring to defraud universities by routing payments to the families of recruits and concealing those payments from the schools. Meeting in parking lots and hotel rooms, the three men hustled cash to family members of hot prospects, who in turn joined college programs sponsored by Adidas, prosecutors told a jury. "

Self and Miller will do a Sgt Schultz and say "I know nothing" and the NCAA will say, "there you go, you can't punish someone or the school for something about which they knew nothing".................."unless your school's name ends with Connecticut, in which case we need to set an example so others won't go rogue and violate the principles of amateurism upon which our organization was built".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's kinda crazy that these guys are going to jail for futzing with college hoop recruiting.

Bankers crashed the economy of the entire free world a decade ago and not a one of 'em spent a day in in the pokey.

pj

Reaction Score
It's kinda crazy that these guys are going to jail for futzing with college hoop recruiting.

Bankers crashed the economy of the entire free world a decade ago and not a one of 'em spent a day in in the pokey.

I didn't even know it was a federal crime. I guess the argument is that the universities were defrauded ... except that never in a million years would one of these universities ask for its basketball coaches to be prosecuted for this behavior. Nor would they have investigated why their coaches were recruiting successfully. They'd just raise their salaries as a reward for bringing in the recruits.

Reaction Score

A handful of the execs got fired. Granted, the 30 million dollar severance helped ease that sting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A handful of the execs got fired. Granted, the 30 million dollar severance helped ease that sting.

That sounds like the best gig in the world. 30mil to do nothing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot more than a few execs got fired
A lot of people who worked in the industry paid the price for doing their jobs for management who directed them to do things and found themselves packing up their things with not a red cent.
Yeah nobody went to jail, as the boneyard's self proclaimed expert stated, but many in the industry paid the price. Not all "bankers" were responsible, in fact it was the unregulated private market financials that did the most damage. And how did they do it? By interpreting the loose laws and finding allowable (at that time) loopholes that were created by legislators on behalf of lobbyists representing the private markets. These legislators tore into the bankers in 2008 yet these same lawmakers made a ton of money buying stock in those same companies and sold off before the crap hit the fan. So many should have been impeached for insider trading information but nothing was done. Chris Dodd included.
I'm in the industry (40 yrs) and know many who paid the price for just doing their job but I have no respect for the ones who made ridiculously bad decisions and choices

Reaction Score
A lot of people who worked in the industry paid the price for doing their jobs for management who directed them to do things and found themselves packing up their things with not a red cent.
Yeah nobody went to jail, as the boneyard's self proclaimed expert stated, but many in the industry paid the price. Not all "bankers" were responsible, in fact it was the unregulated private market financials that did the most damage. And how did they do it? By interpreting the loose laws and finding allowable (at that time) loopholes that were created by legislators on behalf of lobbyists representing the private markets. These legislators tore into the bankers in 2008 yet these same lawmakers made a ton of money buying stock in those same companies and sold off before the crap hit the fan. So many should have been impeached for insider trading information but nothing was done. Chris Dodd included.
I'm in the industry (40 yrs) and know many who paid the price for just doing their job but I have no respect for the ones who made ridiculously bad decisions and choices

That's how it typically goes - the underlings pay the price for their bosses decisions. I have no sympathy.

Reaction Score
What are your thoughts on Point72 right now? Any thought on Sater? He played a key part in the DNDN crash. Along with all the other unregulated culprits.

C

Chief00

As I understood it, Congress exempt themself from insider trading - so they could do it legally until things blew up and they had to obey the law like everyone else did. This was just one of many reasons few left Congress poor.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the judge wrestled with this one. Seems like he recognized that these were the vulnerable middle men taking most of the risk and for a relatively small piece of the pie in a corrupt scheme whereby all the real beneficiaries are insulated. Granted, this landed in his lap and he had to do something, but if I was the Judge.....

"This couldn't have happened without the implicit approval from the head coaches and university athletic departments which "looked the other way" and failed to institute the proper oversight and control. To boot, who exactly is the victim in this high crime? The players who received money ? The University that benefited from the high profile athletic performance and associated revenue ? The shoe company who got what it paid for? NO, NO, AND NO!

The only victim here is the UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT who played by the rules but didn't get the players it wouldn't pay for. How were they rewarded by the NCAA ? They were banned from post season play for nonsense and blackballed from P5 conferences, for not having the appropriate illicit recruiting culture.

So my judgement against these pawns in a high level and corrupt scheme is one day in jail - sentence suspended. When the damage is undone and Uconn is admitted into a P5, I'll know the NCAA is serious about justice, and if any of the real players in this scheme to destroy a great university and basketball program ever find themselves before this bench - bring your toothbrush, you'll be going to jail".

Would make sure to cover up my "GO HUSKIES" license plate and park in the back of the courthouse.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Agree with your thoughts. A lot of this started with pols (you call them legislators) wanting more Americans to live the dream of owning a home. The industry figured out a way to do that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Should be fascinating to see how the NCAA bends itself into pretzels to avoid disciplining Kansas, Arizona, etc., the all-time paragons of virtue. Here's a clue from the article that likely foretells the defense each school will offer:

"Gatto, Code and Dawkins were convicted of conspiring to defraud universities by routing payments to the families of recruits and concealing those payments from the schools. Meeting in parking lots and hotel rooms, the three men hustled cash to family members of hot prospects, who in turn joined college programs sponsored by Adidas, prosecutors told a jury. "

Self and Miller will do a Sgt Schultz and say "I know nothing" and the NCAA will say, "there you go, you can't punish someone or the school for something about which they knew nothing"..."unless your school's name ends with Connecticut, in which case we need to set an example so others won't go rogue and violate the principles of amateurism upon which our organization was built".
I think the schools that didn't pay and therefore couldn't even sniff the high end recruits are the victims here, not the schools that ultimately signed them

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I do like the fact Louisville is being torched by the judge. Small consolation, given that it worked out for them, but it's something:

Haney was even more direct, mocking the entire concept that the Cardinals could be an aggrieved party, labeling it, “One of the most non-compliant and dirtiest basketball programs in the history of the NCAA.”

Judge's light sentencing in first hoops corruption trial sets stage for future fireworks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom