Address the Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Address the Attendance

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. It's just lazy on the part of the adminstration/marketing. Feels like you're at a NY Liberty game (not that I'd know)

And before anyone says it, yes these things cost money. But it costs the team/university even more money to have empty seats in the arena and an uninterested fan base.

Our marketing is awful. Small, cheap improvements could help:

- KO weekly podcast discussing the squad
- 5 minute weekly, documentary style updates. Nothing gets a fan more involved than a personal interest in the players/participants. See Real Sports, 24/7, All Access, 30 for 30, etc
- an hour of coverage in the preseason. The women have a great segment on SNY for the 3rd year in a row that goes into the season
- engage the isolated southern part of the state through free transportation

Those are 5 ideas, countless others posted in this thread. Our administration is asleep!!!
This program has outgrown its "small town country school" roots, yet clings onto it for dear life; meanwhile other programs capitalize on their success to ensure tomorrow is even better.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Get the fat cats out of the courtside seats and make the bottom bowl a student section like most big time schools do. I'll gladly sit higher up to have a rocking home court advantage. The student section behind the basket doesn't cut it. Also, if you have fat cat seats and aren't going to the games.....give the tickets to some rabid Husky fans, don't leave the seats unfilled!!!

Reaction Score
Look no further than Warde Manuel and the wench that hired him. Couldn't get us into a power conference when the opportunity presented itself.
always include SH along with WM

Reaction Score
Get the fat cats out of the courtside seats and make the bottom bowl a student section like most big time schools do. I'll gladly sit higher up to have a rocking home court advantage. The student section behind the basket doesn't cut it. Also, if you have fat cat seats and aren't going to the games.....give the tickets to some rabid Husky fans, don't leave the seats unfilled!!!
I've read this on here before. I can understand how it puts the university in a difficult position. Most of 35-50yr old alum base who purchase courtside seats don't just purchase season tickets, they donate thousands of dollars to the university. I can understand trying to tuck them in at games with a special experience - theyre paying for it.

But again, as you mentioned, the solution to a great experience might not be leaving them in the bottom bowl. The XL and Gampel need to think outside the box. I was impressed when I went to Pitt vs UConn in '09 (thabeet vs blair, #1 v #3) and they had luxury suites near the court. That's infrastructure not likely supported but the point is to be ahead of the game. MSG has luxury suites under the arena with couches, TVs, etc - im sure similar to what we have up top. Those suites come with 10 courtside seats to the game and cost a pretty penny.

I'm with BUConn, feels like we are always behind. Resting on our laurels and history while offering an inferior product created this year's situation. Do something. If we come out with the same lame Sunday 2pm game against Tulane in front of 6k fans who are half engaged, listening to C&C Music Factory, watching some dunkin donuts challenge during timeouts, the plate lady at the half (actually should keep her), and have a 10-3 team, program is dead in the water.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Better cheerleaders and free beer

The cheerleaders are an image problem. I hate the PC nonsense that lead to this. There are still plenty of schools out there with fit, athletic, attractive cheerleaders. I actually appreciated the gymnastics of the past. Those girls were athletes. I'd love to see Dave B change Susan's mind on this.

As for the rest, prices matter a little I guess. Mostly convenience matters to UConn fans. But winning is item #1 by a long, long way. The opponents we can't do much about. OOC schedule was solid this year. The bad start times hurt us.
I'd love to see more color consistency, but that's a luxury for places where you don't wear a coat. NY Giants, Patriots, neither one have that. Yet the Saints do, and the Dolphins.

Music is a tough one. You play rap for the young urban crowd, and most of the older season ticket holders will cringe (and so would I). I'm not sure what the middle ground is on this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom