Address the Attendance | The Boneyard

Address the Attendance

Reaction Score
Home attendance has been an issue at UConn - and live sports in general. The administration might be a bit out of touch on how to address the issue, even after hiring consultants recently. I'll start with a few suggestions, but since this is easily the most passionate UConn fan base in the state, UConn officials should use this thread for brainstorming purposes...

1. Tiered Pricing: Our conference has a big discrepancy between top/bottom programs. They attempted grouping tickets but there's no way face value for a game against East Carolina on a Tues night should be the same as Cincinatti on Sat afternoon. Use a wide range of levels to address

2. Establish an Identity: Whether we go with a 'white out' or any other color, the crowd just looks lousy dressed in different gear. Schools like 'Cuse (don't shoot me), UNC, L'ville, Pitt really take pride in colored gear for games. Reestablish our brand, it adds to the atmosphere, looks better on TV, and in general, encourages more people to attend and be a part of something. We don't have school colors with strong identity, but lets start a trend. Maybe we become the black shirts?

3. Soundtrack: Am I the only person tired to "Everybody Dance Now" at these games. Its so 80s/90s. Im not saying you need to pump Future and Lil Wayne through the speakers. But it makes me cringe to hear some of the sounds we play. Toy with lighting, music, and entertainment to add to the general fan experience. Start using the seat delivery option for concessions to avoid the long lines.

4. Player Interaction: Allowing fans, especially kids, to meet their idols for a 30 minute autograph session after the games would be a really nice touch. Its a bit more taxing on players but I'd argue it becomes a great teaching point with how to deal with fans/people. It would also encourage people to stay the entire game.

5. Before/After Events: Partner up with bars, restaurants in Hartford/Storrs. Use the NB to Hartford bus line to make transportation safe and easy. Jam music into the bus during transportation and add TVs to get the crowd pumped up.

Some of these might exist. I live in NYC so not sure what its like for the every day student. And I know we were a sub-500 team with an unimpressive home schedule this year. But Im tired of Wichita St and St Marys looking like better home venues than the 4x National Champs.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Lmao, if we are a top 2-3 AAC team and ranked in top 25, we will sell out almost every game. Tough to compare to this year, when we were losing a lot. Most attended game at Gampel all year? Wagner. Why? There was hope and hype around the team along with a preseason top 25 ranking. Win and people will show up. Simple as that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Delete this thread.

This is the 90th attendance thread this offseason.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Just a note about pricing for the games- I don't know the specific breakdown of the contract but I'd imagine the ticket prices being what they are would have to deal with the fact that 1. UConn has to pay to rent the XL center for their games and 2. The University doesn't make money (or if it does, not very much) on parking and/or concessions during these games which are big missed revenue streams. Its the same reason football tickets are really overpriced for what they should be.

Reaction Score
Growing the fan base by having games in Bridgeport, Mohegan wouldn't hurt. Just the novelty of watching Uconn play in a more modern arena with better food/beverages etc... is worth something. There should be ZERO games at Gampel when the students are on winter break. Perfect time to draw in some lower Fairfield County fans around XMAS/Thanksgiving too.

Reaction Score
Growing the fan base by having games in Bridgeport, Mohegan wouldn't hurt. Just the novelty of watching Uconn play in a more modern arena with better food/beverages etc... is worth something. There should be ZERO games at Gampel when the students are on winter break. Perfect time to draw in some lower Fairfield County fans around XMAS/Thanksgiving too.
Selfishly I loved the games in Bridgeport. Plus it's a great venue.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not season ticket cost has gone up since joining the AAC. Makes no sense to me. I will keep buying but for casual fans that's a turn-off.

It would be nice if they gave out blue and white shirts for free every game. Maybe have webster bank and other sponsors to chip in.

Reaction Score
Look, clearly if they were undefeated, defending champs ranked #1 in the country with games against Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA and Cuse... yea, we'd sell the btch out and show up weeks before. That's not reality. And we cannot control that. We are who we are and play who we play

The question is, how can the administration do better? What can we do better as fans? What would encourage you to go to more games

Reaction Score
Go 17-1, 17-1 and 16-2 for 3 consecutive seasons be ranked in the top 10 and play Syracuse, St Johns, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Georgetown,Providence, etc and then throw in a top 10 non league opponent at home. This is the way it used to be. Then the games would sell out. Heck, I live 200 miles away in VT and I would go to those games. Now I can barely watch the games with the crap teams we play. I have said it before and been criticized but why isn't anyone held accountable for being in this crap conference. I mean we build a $91 million football stadium and have beautiful practice facilities for both football and basketball and for this?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's the product on the court, not off the court.
I'm optimistic that the product on the court will change for the better in the coming years.

We have white outs, we have autograph sessions, we're partnered with BWW, there's a new sports bar opening in Storrs in the coming weeks.
Wichita State and St. Mary's look like better home venues because they are putting a winning team on the court.
We're fine with marketing, I don't give a rip what the soundtrack is, that's not determining whether I show up to games or not.

Reaction Score
I have said it before and been criticized but why isn't anyone held accountable for being in this crap conference.

Look no further than Warde Manuel and the wench that hired him. Couldn't get us into a power conference when the opportunity presented itself.

Reaction Score
Sad thing is it WILL determine for others.
Just mentioning the soundtrack is taking the post out of context. Most on this board would attend a game with no music whatsoever. To fill an arena with an apathetic fan base outside the core means improving the experience and product offering as mentioned above.

If Iowa St can do this (granted, vs Kansas), we should be looking at alt methods of making our home games great again. If the casual fan saw this on Tv, they're just much more inclined to attend.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This has been mentioned countless times. In regards to the issue you are bringing attention to, UConn has always been 5 steps behind in this regard. The atmosphere is currently optimized for the typical women's game crowd.

Reaction Score
This has been mentioned countless times. In regards to the issue you are bringing attention to, UConn has always been 5 steps behind in this regard. The atmosphere is currently optimized for the typical women's game crowd.
Couldn't agree more. It's just lazy on the part of the adminstration/marketing. Feels like you're at a NY Liberty game (not that I'd know)

And before anyone says it, yes these things cost money. But it costs the team/university even more money to have empty seats in the arena and an uninterested fan base.

Our marketing is awful. Small, cheap improvements could help:

- KO weekly podcast discussing the squad
- 5 minute weekly, documentary style updates. Nothing gets a fan more involved than a personal interest in the players/participants. See Real Sports, 24/7, All Access, 30 for 30, etc
- an hour of coverage in the preseason. The women have a great segment on SNY for the 3rd year in a row that goes into the season
- engage the isolated southern part of the state through free transportation

Those are 5 ideas, countless others posted in this thread. Our administration is asleep!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom