Additional Year for Winter Athletes | The Boneyard

Additional Year for Winter Athletes

Reaction Score
How would this work for scholarships? Would we be allowed to keep Carlton/Whaley/Polley next year without counting against our 13 schollies? Would Brendan let us go to 14 the year after next? If our huge freshman class all stays 4 years somehow, would we go to 17 schollies in 2025?

If it doesn't, will the kids be allowed to transfer freely? What about the freshman/high school seniors that expected to have playing time available but suddenly it isn't?

Seems like no matter what you do, someone gets the short end of the stick.

Reaction Score
Willing to bet that if they do allow an additional year and the season is played most players will refuse it. Especially if they have graduated.

Reaction Score
So the reason they are doing this is because they know there is no guarantee the season is completed, I assume?

Reaction Score
what about all the seniors like vital that just graduated and left already? no extra year for them

Reaction Score
Here’s how that extra year of eligibility is being applied for baseball (and I assume other spring sports that were framed an year of eligibility):

Just as fifth-year seniors won’t count against Division I roster limits in 2021, they won’t count against scholarship limits at any level either. But the scholarship status for those fifth-year seniors in 2021 is at the discretion of the schools. The institutions can keep the same aid, lower it, or provide nothing at all. Additionally, players must continue to be full-time students at their respective schools to continue to play. For seniors at four-year universities who are graduating this spring, and for junior college players who have fulfilled their two-year academic requirements, it’s a tough ask.

Reaction Score
Again, over 210,000 American families dealing with the death of a loved one, over 30 million American families dealing with the loss of income temporarily or permanently and the vast majority of the American pubic dealing with loss of in person interactions with families, friends and colleagues and the mental health issues that come with it.

Yes, like everyone else student athletes may be adversely effected, whether having to wait one year for playing time or having had less than four full seasons to make their mark. That anyone is actually worried about this in the big picture -- that this is where someone chooses to put their emotional energy -- absolutely boggles my mind.

Everyone is free to worry about what they want to, and I can't and am not telling anyone what to worry about, but please.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Again, over 210,000 American families dealing with the death of a loved one, over 30 million American families dealing with the loss of income temporarily or permanently and the vast majority of the American pubic dealing with loss of in person interactions with families, friends and colleagues and the mental health issues that come with it.

Yes, like everyone else student athletes may be adversely effected, whether having to wait one year for playing time or having had less than four full seasons to make their mark. That anyone is actually worried about this in the big picture -- that this is where someone chooses to put their emotional energy -- absolutely boggles my mind.

Everyone is free to worry about what they want to, and I can't and am not telling anyone what to worry about, but please.
It seems like you're telling us exactly what to worry about. And why worrying about this is a waste of time.

Reaction Score
It seems like you're telling us exactly what to worry about. And why worrying about this is a waste of time.

I am freely sharing my opinion. People worried about this are minimizing the true loss of life and financial loss that others are suffering. But I neither demand nor expect that others have to agree with me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I am freely sharing my opinion. People worried about this are minimizing the true loss of life and financial loss that others are suffering. But I neither demand nor expect that others have to agree with me.
We mustn't think about anything but death and despair until the pandemic is over. Does that about sum it up?

Reaction Score
We mustn't think about anything but death and despair until the pandemic is over. Does that about sum it up?

I made my point. I'm talking to you on a basketball board. I obviously agree talking about other things is not just fine but necessary. I don't think talking about basketball is the same as communicating sympathy for those whose victimization to covid is losing a part season of a sport, but if you do more power to you.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom