Addition to coaching staff coming? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Addition to coaching staff coming?

Reaction Score
It sounds like an ideal job for an excellent teacher and motivator who doesn't want to travel and recruit, just teach. Perhaps a smaller school head coach.

Reaction Score
If you're not from CT or NYC, no one cares.
There was one point in my life when I thought all Italians lived in NJ. You know Bennies (Beyonne/Elizabeth/Newark/etc.) although I suppose not all Bennies are Italian.

Reaction Score
UConn already has an adequate coaching staff (duh). What would be useful is adding a GOAT to the staff. Even though the GOAT would not be able to recruit, just being on the staff would be a recruiting tool. (And I said "staff", not "distaff", a word a I really don't like)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There was one point in my life when I thought all Italians lived in NJ. You know Bennies (Beyonne/Elizabeth/Newark/etc.) although I suppose not all Bennies are Italian.
Per the census CT has the largest percentage of the population claiming Italian as part of their heritage. Over 20%.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
UConn already has an adequate coaching staff (duh). What would be useful is adding a GOAT to the staff. Even though the GOAT would not be able to recruit, just being on the staff would be a recruiting tool. (And I said "staff", not "distaff", a word a I really don't like)
They need to get younger, the staff was younger 5 years ago. Marrissa, Shea and Jasmine left.

Jim

Reaction Score
Some people believe that UConn guard play has fallen off since Shea Ralph left.
Some people believe that UConn guard play has fallen off since Paige has been injured.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am not sure about this option of more coaches or not but if Geno could add to his staff, bring back Nykesha Sales who has been in coaching, most notably on Coach Abe's staffs at USF and now Georgia. She was a guard, fits the gender and Black female coach criteria and won a title at UConn.

Reaction Score
If Geno wants to add a coach I would hope he would give Evina Westbrook a call and see what
her plans are.
Last I remember, Evina was doing an internship with the Portland Trailblazers. I don't know if Mama E has an interest in coaching, but I'd bet she'd be really good at it. The players would love her.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Just some thoughts and comments. I would think with Geno getting up in age UConn would choose coaches who recruits would want to teach them. That would help in recruiting. Sue Bird comes to mind immediately. She is well known as a big time star and I would think girls would want her to coach them. Tina Diana Maya are other big names. They wont come cheap but that would be dictated by a coaches salary. The next question would be are interested in coaching? Another thought is to keep Geno on board to help at practices. At some point he will retire and maybe he would stay want to help at practices. Im sure Geno Chris and UConn already have a plan in place to continue with the legacy Geno has built. UConn WCBB is a big money maker and to let it drop would be crazy. Im sure there is a plan in place when Geno retires.
During the Sue & Diana show last night, Sue was pretty clear that her life right now and going forward, doesn't include coaching. It was a great discussion with Lisa Leslie.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird is not busy.... Maybe switch her and Morgan.... so Sue can go out and meet with recruits.... think of the Point Guards we would get....

Reaction Score
Sue has said a bunch of times that she's not interested in coaching and would never live in Storrs. I think Berube has also said she wouldn't coach at UConn. UConn isn't for everyone.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Isn’t everyone older than they were 5 years ago?
I would hope those reading my post would understand that is not what I meant, but you never know.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Full Sue Bird quote from last night's show:

"Then, toward the end of the semifinal between South Carolina and Iowa, Hall of Fame broadcaster Doris Burke asked Bird a question many around the basketball world have been wondering: Does she have any aspirations to coach?

“I don’t know,” Bird said. “Truth, I recognize it is a very difficult job. I really recognize that. And I just don’t know if I want my next life to be what my other life was — the travel, the grind, living and dying with the wins and losses. Maybe I’ll miss it at some point, but right now I think I’m good.”

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
These new coaches could work with players but are not to be involved with 'off-campus' recruiting. Obviously when targets are on visits to the campus the new coaches would be able to meet and greet them [recruit].
The following from Kim Mulkey goes to your point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom