ADB on Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ADB on Ollie

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Update: we've tied ourselves to the tracks... and we're whistling "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"
No, you are being a drama queen, behaving as if you were Pauline, tied to thed tracks by a villain, hoping for a hero to save you.

If you are capable of doing something to resolve the problem, do it. If not, accept that you can't. Just stop crying about it. We already know that you are unhappy, why do you need to constantly remind us?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@Guapo @superjohn Sorry I didn't mean to imply that we keep Ollie simply to keep Akinjo. I meant more that if we were not ready to make the move because of financial reasons, not having the support of boosters, or not having the right coach available, one more year of Ollie could actually turn out to help us in the long run simply because we would likely have a more stable roster (with a potentially great PG) after next season.

But if this season somehow were to get even more embarrassing, the right coach was available, or Benedict knows some stuff about Ollie that we don't, then yes you make the move.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
If more identities of the boosters are revealed, this is not going to end well.

Some crazies from the BY will likely stalk these guys.

The ones that have been discussed in this thread have put themselves out there. Robert Burton has his name on a building too. I have now exhausted my list of known UConn sports boosters.

Reaction Score
John...its not just him. Its everyone. Let me ask you a serious question. Who is on the roster next yr if Ollie is fired?

Assume Jalen and Terry are gone for sure. Akinjo as well and probably Matthews. You know some of the current roster would be gone as well. Gilbert? Vital? Best case scenario is Gilbert and Vital stay. Do you see something different happening?

The next coach would have no time to recruit and less returning talent. This would be a nightmare.
I know we're not supposed to speculate transfers but even if Ollie is retained I'd imagine 2-3 current players transfer at seasons end coupled with Jalen and Terry leaving. We're in an awful situation and I understand why many are scared of how barren we may be bringing in a new coach, but a culture change is needed and this program needs hope to be restored. It will take time but hiring a coach like Hurley can help restore that hope, because the fact of the matter is that Ollie will not and can not.

Reaction Score
Why are people assuming UConn basketball will never recover?

I can't imagine a time where we aren't going to spend top 10-20 money on a coach. I'm sure there are plenty of young upcoming coaches that would come her for cash alone, not to mention giving rebirth to a once proud program.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe UConn is dead and can’t survive another year of Ollie. Keep in mind I’m ok if the AD decides to make a change. If KO can’t turn things around another coach can.
John...its not just him. Its everyone. Let me ask you a serious question. Who is on the roster next yr if Ollie is fired?

Assume Jalen and Terry are gone for sure. Akinjo as well and probably Matthews. You know some of the current roster would be gone as well. Gilbert? Vital? Best case scenario is Gilbert and Vital stay. Do you see something different happening?

The next coach would have no time to recruit and less returning talent. This would be a nightmare.
OK my preference would be to have Ollie coach a team next year with all our important pieces coming back and our recruits staying committed. But if there needs to be a change you live with the short term setbacks for long term growth. Managers struggle with this all the time until the pain of keeping the employee is greater than the pain of the unknown. When they finally pull the plug it usually ends up being a big relief.

Reaction Score
The way the ff bomb was used in the article twice seemed unnecessary and for me took credibility away from it. I'm not one that really cares about swearing, maybe just not used to seeing it in sports/news articles.

Other than that its scary that people who are close and vested in this program can still believe in him after his production since 2014.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jalen and Larrier transfer, sit out a year, and declare for the 2020 NBA Draft at the prime ages of 25. They’re not going anywhere.

Might as well go join the Ball brothers in Lithuania if they transfer.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why are people assuming UConn basketball will never recover?

I can't imagine a time where we aren't going to spend top 10-20 money on a coach. I'm sure there are plenty of young upcoming coaches that would come her for cash alone, not to mention giving rebirth to a once proud program.

Where to begin...

Do you think the AD is currently doing well enough financially for that? Furthermore, do you think it will see the requisite financial success in the future? How will we compare to programs in P5 conferences whose content is being bought for a much higher value than those in the AAC?

Reaction Score
Because the first place to run to for a donor's take on the coach is an ADB? Amazes me that people think true feelings pro or con would be spoken openly in this venue or even the Courant.
It's insane.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If there's any truth regarding the assertion that a few of the major donors to the AD are still in Ollie's corner, which is a big if, then we better all get used to the idea that he's coming back for another season.

That may or may not be true now, but if the remainder of this season goes completely down the toilet, some of the donors in question certainly might change their minds. In that event, we may see a change after this season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So those 10 donors who support him will have to go to every game and get extra loud to make up for the 10,000 fans who won't be there.
Those 10 most likely mean more to the program than you and the 10,000 - they give the big cash and not just complain- when and if they do they heed a larger ear. Because of the length of time I've been season ticket holder, other reasons and being involved in various UConn sports, I know some of the big donors - they might not go to every game, listen/watch every game or post on this site - but most of them are loyal to the school and are realistic - more so than most who claim the same here
If they want KO or any coach to be gone - their voice is heard in the proper venues and they are listened to- not in the BY
I have no idea if any of the largest donors want KO gone but if they do - it will be known by SH, DB and Larry M

Reaction Score
Stopped reading when the author dropped bomb. I read too much during the day to bother with this.

It's a blog - not a publication. Not uncommon to use profanity and certainly shouldn't discredit the author's points. Having said that I disagree with his point that the media would lambast us for firing an alum and national championship coach. most of the guys I follow in the cbb media are laughing at us that he's still here...

Reaction Score
I don’t think a coach should be retained out of concern that the team (a bad one at that) could lose some current/incoming players when he leaves. Does anyone think UConn won’t lose players or recruits if Ollie gets fired after next year? Players are always going to leave, and there’s never a good time to fire a coach, so it might as well happen sooner rather than later so the rebuild can start. Nobody expected to be in a UConn uniform next year is going to turn things around - and if Larrier and Adams truly are gone, the 2016-2017 team will be a fond memory compared to next year’s team. Who on next year’s roster is worth keeping, to the point that UConn should be willing to gamble with the future of the program? Heck, the new coach could bring some of his recruits over, so it might not be a total loss anyways.

Reaction Score
Anyone surprised that the donors don't feel like cashing out KO after the extension was made? Sure there is probably some actual support in the room for KO, but if things go south from here his performance won't be the main deciding factor. Just like Steve Bannon it's who pays the bills.

If the right guy is out there at the end of a disastrous season, you'd love to take advantage of that. But DB might not be in a position to do anything other than plant the seed for next year with donors. There comes a point when you can't live on excuses anymore but Ollie's contract may buy him another year to show some results. My mind is just slightly open to see what he could do with 1 or 2 decent shooters and an improved Carlton. He hasn't had any answers with the group he has, but he at least needs to show some resiliency to finish this year or the confidence needle drops to zero.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe UConn is dead and can’t survive another year of Ollie. Keep in mind I’m ok if the AD decides to make a change. If KO can’t turn things around another coach can.

OK my preference would be to have Ollie coach a team next year with all our important pieces coming back and our recruits staying committed. But if there needs to be a change you live with the short term setbacks for long term growth. Managers struggle with this all the time until the pain of keeping the employee is greater than the pain of the unknown. When they finally pull the plug it usually ends up being a big relief.

A good point was brought up on the "not a dime back" podcast. Ollie is probably a good motivator of talent that already exists, but isnt a great coach to have to pull together a bunch of guys who havent really played together before and mold them into great players. Nothing I've seen in the last few years gives me comfort to see how he handles a team of "talented" players, if they do come next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a blog - not a publication. Not uncommon to use profanity and certainly shouldn't discredit the author's points. Having said that I disagree with his point that the media would lambast us for firing an alum and national championship coach. most of the guys I follow in the cbb media are laughing at us that he's still here...

That wouldn't stop them from lambasting UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom