Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I can’t stand the negativity and pessimism of reading that

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
that article was great entertainment
they sound like a bunch of high school kids being interviewed for the first time
other than that - meh

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Grain of Salt.

The most pessimistic of the group was Peter Bard, who I don't recall reading of hearing of before, and go figure, he hasn't written anything since last December. Wilkerson is most pessimistic on W/L record, but his comments seemed pretty reasonable. I have a feeling P. Bard is trying to be the "ironical" one.

It's more of a realist piece rather than pessimistic (other than Bard). There are some real question marks on this team, including EIGHT (Holy Cow!!!) newcomers and only two who got significant minutes last year.

That...That's no good. I just can't have it. I can't do it, Henry. I can't do it.
upload_2017-11-8_16-9-13.png

I see the starting 5 as:
Adams
Gilbert
Diarra
Larrier, and
Cobb

Vital comes off the bench for someone not named Jalen around the 17:00 mark.

Other than that. I will watch how the games play out. I am hopeful they get to 20 wins, but I feel like it is pseudo 2010-11, where expectations are not high.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I'm going to suggest you don't watch much UConn basketball this year, then.

Isn't it part of the fun of being a fan being excited and optimistic... must really suck to feel the need for negativity

Reaction Score
Comments could have been stolen from this Board mid-season even if we are doing well. Just watch . . . . . . .

Reaction Score
Isn't it part of the fun of being a fan being excited and optimistic... must really suck to feel the need for negativity

I'm not going to define fanhood for others, but for me, it means wanting the team to succeed, irrespective of whether you expect them to succeed. The optimism/pessimism axis is completely independent of one's level of support for the team (you could consider "casual"/diehard to be the other axis).

Reaction Score
Grain of Salt.

The most pessimistic of the group was Peter Bard, who I don't recall reading of hearing of before, and go figure, he hasn't written anything since last December. Wilkerson is most pessimistic on W/L record, but his comments seemed pretty reasonable. I have a feeling P. Bard is trying to be the "ironical" one.

It's more of a realist piece rather than pessimistic (other than Bard). There are some real question marks on this team, including EIGHT (Holy Cow!!!) newcomers and only two who got significant minutes last year.

That...That's no good. I just can't have it. I can't do it, Henry. I can't do it.
View attachment 26010

I see the starting 5 as:
Adams
Gilbert
Diarra
Larrier, and
Cobb

Vital comes off the bench for someone not named Jalen around the 17:00 mark.

Other than that. I will watch how the games play out. I am hopeful they get to 20 wins, but I feel like it is pseudo 2010-11, where expectations are not high.

@CallMeBruce what do you think of P. Bard?

Reaction Score
Peter Bard is a genius. A once-in-a-generation sports mind. He's also handsome and charming and all the girls love him.

Russ Steinberg eats his own boogers.

I think that means you can FIRE RUSS with cause:

Impersonating Jim Boeheim.

Reaction Score
There really is a first for everything, a bunch of people on the Boneyard complaining that people are too negative about our chances this season.

You know what they say;

"The Boneyard is a group of shiny happy people holding hands"

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I found it very entertaining as I do most of their stuff. Fun fact about the Bards: their mom taught generations of Vernon Center Middle School students about 'yarders and periods.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My primary complaint about virtually every prediction related to sports is that the unknown is always treated as a negative. Sometimes the answer to the “hole” in the roster is that it’s cant be filled. Sometimes a player steps up and vastly overachies.

This team has more unknowns than any I’ve seen. Larrier’s recovery and lack of playing time for two years. Gilbert’s shoulder. The entire front-court is a huge question mark. So what the prognosticators do and have done, and ADB too, is assume that Larrier will struggle, Gilbert might get hurt or not adjust to the brace, and that the guys up front won’t provide an upside surprise. If you assume those things, yes, this is a 16-18 win team. With everything going wrong, that’s the result. I don’t think it’s realistic. At least a couple of the freshman will be better than we expect. Cobb could be better than we expect, Anderson too. Larrier might look fantastic after a few games. Gilbert may look like a McD AA pg, with an extra year of maturity. And that’s not even being widely optimistic. It’s what I think will happen.

Reaction Score
My primary complaint about virtually every prediction related to sports is that the unknown is always treated as a negative. Sometimes the answer to the “hole” in the roster is that it’s cant be filled. Sometimes a player steps up and vastly overachies.

This team has more unknowns than any I’ve seen. Larrier’s recovery and lack of playing time for two years. Gilbert’s shoulder. The entire front-court is a huge question mark. So what the prognosticators do and have done, and ADB too, is assume that Larrier will struggle, Gilbert might get hurt or not adjust to the brace, and that the guys up front won’t provide an upside surprise. If you assume those things, yes, this is a 16-18 win team. With everything going wrong, that’s the result. I don’t think it’s realistic. At least a couple of the freshman will be better than we expect. Cobb could be better than we expect, Anderson too. Larrier might look fantastic after a few games. Gilbert may look like a McD AA pg, with an extra year of maturity. And that’s not even being widely optimistic. It’s what I think will happen.

The team was given the benefit of the doubt by prognosticators the last 3 seasons and failed to meet expectations each time. I fully welcome the tempered outlook.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom